Aires in Pas De Calais and Somme Areas

JohnP

Following the thread on the warning regarding the Aire at Calais which I have used many times in the past..

Has anyone used the aires at Le Touquet, Berk Sur Mer, Wissant or Fort Mohan Plage, Valary Sur Somme recently? I am heading towards Rouen shortly to explore the South West of France.

Your opinion of any of these aires would be appreciated.

The Aire by the harbour at Le Touquet (Le Touquet Paris Plage 2?) is in a lovely location within 15-20 minutes walk of the town centre, and with nice pathways along the edge of the dunes. It is expensive though - around 10 euros per night if I recall, and there are regular checks to see if you have paid.

Le Touquet itself is a lovely, if fairly expensive town, and a favourite of ours, having stopped of their in September on the way south, and March on the way back, when the Le Touquet Rally was taking place.

Mad Mitch

Poppy - 2014-05-21 12:30 PM

We stayed at a site at St Valery.Lovely place and seemed peaceful with no trouble so I expect the aire is fine.

Yes it is a nice quiet and clean aire, stopped there last year. Think it was 9 Euro per night. You will have to risk putting your credit card in the machine to get out of the automatic barrier.

As you say St Valery is a smashing little place.

HWO

I believe the Aires at Le Touquet have recently been increased from the €11 we paid last year (water and EHU extra).

The one at Wissant is free although it has no facilities except waste water disposal grid but is reasonably quiet for an overnight stop with a couple of good restaurants close by.

Boulogne has a free site opposite the friterie on the D940 coast road again okay for a nights stay.

Equihen Plage is €5 and EHU costs €2 for 12 hours.

All these are reasonably easy to access if you arrive late in the day but if you get to France early in the day then motor much further towards the west coast before stopping.

We stayed at Wissant recently, nice aire, easy to find, but would only use as an overnight stop before or after the channel crossing. Not ideal for dogs.

Regarding cards; we have used a card a lot in aire barriers, metered water etc. in France and so far touch wood no problems.

There are actually two entrance /. exit routes into Le Touquet 2. Neither has a barrier, and you are required to pay at the machine situated on the dog-leg of the site. We have seen motorhomes leaving early in the morning to avoid paying, but we have also met policemen checking at 10pm.

You are definitely paying for the location!

Mad Mitch.

Sorry if a bit off thread, but why are you all so worried about card machines in France, I would be more worried in Great Britain than here using a card. We have used the Aire at the service at Bai de Somme many times on our journeys back to U.K and have never had any problems at all, and its free

The aire at the Auchan in Saint Martin Boulogne is our preferred stop over.

Good for free wifi from McDonald's, cheaper diesel than the main port stations and croissant shopping in the morning.

It's a little inland away from the port, so very quiet.

JohnP - 2014-05-22 9:02 AM

Hi Derek

Was the entrance/exit a barrier with card or a pay and display with coins?

Thanks JohnP

Hi John,

Sorry about the delay in replying. We paid in coins from memory, but there may be a choice.

Do not remember it having hook up neither.

cheers

derek

The Le Touquet machines take both cash and cards and there's a borne with EHU costing, I think, €2 for about one hour of electricity and water €2 for ten minutes or 100 litres.

The charge of €13 for parking on the roadside is robbery and there are plenty of other Aires that charge much less, or even free, that are worth considering before using the Le Touquet Aires.

As far as I know the Aire at the Equestrian park has plenty of EHU points - but they don't work unless there's a Horse event - and if there is a Horse event then Motorhomes can't use the Aire – brilliant!

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Hi, we always use the motorway service aire at baie de somme, its about an hour

from calais on the toll road. Dont be put off by being a motorway aire as it is purpose

built, there is a access road leading to the aire. T here is seperate sections for

caravans and motorhomes. It is very peacefull and away from the lorries and free.

casey.

casey - 2014-05-23 9:01 PM

Hi, we always use the motorway service aire at baie de somme, its about an hour

from calais on the toll road. Dont be put off by being a motorway aire as it is purpose

built, there is a access road leading to the aire. T here is seperate sections for

caravans and motorhomes. It is very peacefull and away from the lorries and free.

casey.

we are the same, usualy get a late crossing after work, it,s safe and quiet, in the morning there the cafe or shop, plus we fill up with water.

Archived