towing SMART CAR

motorcampman

I bought a SMART CAR to tow on an A frame its a for two PASSION.The handbook says not to tow more than 50k and not more than 50kph.I have seen many being towed on A fames Can anyone advise me how they manage this I am CONFUSED. I want to use an A frame not a trailer Have I boobed again. REGARDS

motorcampman - 2014-05-23 9:50 AM

I bought a SMART CAR to tow on an A frame its a for two PASSION.The handbook says not to tow more than 50k and not more than 50kph.I have seen many being towed on A fames Can anyone advise me how they manage this I am CONFUSED. I want to use an A frame not a trailer Have I boobed again. REGARDS

50K of what and which handbook are you referring to?

motorcampman - 2014-05-23 11:33 AM

The handbook is for the car ,50k is50kilometer .REGARDS MOTORCAMPMAN

Surely you are towing the car with the motorhome not the towing the motorhome with the car.

I think the smart handbook refers to towing a small trailer with the smartcar and not the smartcar being towed by another vehicle.

I could be wrong?

I must have read it the wrong way around.

I have seen a Smartcar with a small trailer thought it referred to that.

I have seen loads of Smarts on A frames and they were going way over 50kph so I don't think you have boobed.

Good luck.

I tow a Smarty in the UK with a over-run braked A-Frame with no problems.

Don't forget the speed limits will be different when towing because the Smarty will become a trailer under UK laws.

Just make sure the toad is in neutral, there's is no steering lock but don't lock the car doors 'cause I read the alarm may go off.

Just one other thing not to worry about is that although the Smart is an Auto, it's not an auto gearbox, it's the auto clutch that does the cog swapping.

Have fun.

B-)

motorcampman - 2014-05-23 9:50 AM

As you rightly say, the Smart handbook advises that towing the vehicle should be at slow speed and for only a relatively short distance.

This has been discussed here in the past.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/A-Frame-Towing-of-a-Smart-Car/17511/

and you'll note that the critical thing is to be absolutely 100% certain that the car is properly in Neutral before towing commences.

Plenty of motorcaravanners tow a Smart on an A-frame, apparently without it causing mechanical harm to the vehicle but, if you do this, you'll just have to accept that it conflicts with the handbook's recommendations.

The type of gearshifting used on Smarts varies. The following link (hopefully) explains

http://clubsmartcar.com/lofiversion/index.php/t18318.html

Archived