Somethings happened to my roof !

mags

Some advice please. I was driving along an A road at about 50 mph, an HGV was coming the other way, there was plenty of room so I didn't slow down. When the lorry went past we heard a loud noise, sounded like we'd been hit so I stopped as soon as it was safe. I couldn't see any damage to the van at all. BUT - the roof of the van seems to be loose !( I think I might mean the metal skin of the roof if you know what I mean ) It moves if you touch it when cleaning it. Thing is - could the roof have been like this before ? Or has there been some damage ? The roof doesn't leak, the rooflight is still firmly in place. So - what do I do ? It's due it's first year checks next month , I need to know if the damage is important just in case the dealer makes out that it is ok, or all vans are like this.

If your roof is aluminium, this is normal. Our Mobilvetta was the same. The roof sheet is not bonded to the insulation below it because the aluminium obviously expands much more in hot sun than the insulation. Were they to be bonded, that bond would rapidly break down because of the differential expansion. So they are bonded only around the edges. My guess is that the noise you heard was a sort of 'buckling' noise as the slipstream of the lorry sucked up the aluminium and then let it drop down again suddenly. To be absolutely sure, talk to the service department at the supplying dealer.

I agree with Mel E , the closing speed of the 2 large vehicles would be aprox 100mph and most aluminium roofed coachbuilts are only laid on and held down around the perimeter and around vents and hatches. It can be very disconcerting particulary abroad when large juggernauts come pounding past you on national roads without to much clearance, the shock wave hitting the side and roof of the van. Chas

It can even be a lot of fun if you are parked up for the night on an exposed site when the wind gets up. Experinced this many years ago when tugging caused me a few sleepless nights until situation explained to me. It could be like living in a bongo drum on St Agnes Beacon CC site in September.

Hi Mags, If I were you I would get the van in like yesterday. We have an Ace Milano and have never had this problem, as a matter of fact having found out what you are using I have been up on our roof it is as tight as a drum, no flexing at all. We have had lots of big HGVs pass us and meet us with no effect. Ours is just over a year old, is yours and older model? David

Hi David. Nope mines not quite a year old yet. Looks just like yours. Wish I could get a photo on this forum !! You think I'd better have words with them then ? Would I have to go back to the Dealer I bought it from or would any Ace/Swift main dealer do ?

As far as I know the Aluminium should be bonded. The foam filler should have no difficulty expanding with the roof skin. My Rapido 710f has a GRP roof, which is not bonded, but the ally/foam/board roof panel beneath is all fully bonded together. So you have to be very carefull with this setup that any holes through the roof are fully sealed, or water can traverse the whole roof and possibly penetrate the sides as well. I found all this out when I cut a hole for the Satelite dish push up pole. (Kathrein). Hello............do I hear all you Rapido owners scurrying up ladders to check out Television ariel holes. :D

Peter, it depends on the type of insulation used. Flexible foam can be bonded, but solid foam cannot for the reasons I gave. Mobilvetta and many others now use solid foam which does not stretch. I don't know about Swift, which is why I said to get it checked.

I agree he should get it checked out, how can foam be solid? by definition it is full of air or gas pockets which means it is flexible and capable of taking up any movement of any bonded outer skins. Most MH's are made using Blue foam which is very firm so feels solid.

Peter, I don't want to go into overkill on this one, but breeze blocks are full of air, but that doesn't mean they'll stretch to match the expansion of aluminium sheet. Mobilvetta did use an insulation material called Thermopan XPS (they had exclusive use of it for a while) which is incredibly dimensionally stable. Hence the roof was unbonded except round the edges and where skylights intervened. Hope that helps. Anyway, let's see what Mags finds when she gets it looked at.

Peter, I don't want to go into overkill on this one, but breeze blocks are full of air, but that doesn't mean they'll stretch to match the expansion of aluminium sheet. Mobilvetta did use an insulation material called Thermopan XPS (they had exclusive use of it for a while) which is incredibly dimensionally stable. Hence the roof was unbonded except round the edges and where skylights intervened. Hope that helps. Anyway, let's see what Mags finds when she gets it looked at.

Hi all, Thought I'd let you know I took the motorhome in to a local Ace dealer for its habitation check. I asked about the roof. The answer was - the aluminium has lifted from the roof and it needs to be refixed !! They are asking Ace (or is it Swift) if they will do the repair as the dealers don't really have the facilities to do it. I have to wait for a response , but it will be covered under the warranty !! Thanks for all the advice - I probably wouldn't have mentioned it when I took it in otherwise. Elaine As an afterthought - when I set off for the dealers this morning I found that my leisure battery was flat - couldn't understand it , it was full last time we used the van. Told the dealers - turns out I'd left the fan on a low setting to circulate the heat !!! Couldn't hear it as it was so low. Lesson learned. Hopefully the battery will recharge ! :$

• 3 months later...
I thought I'd never be able to say this BUT I've got my motorhome back at last from Ace/Swift. They took it the middle of November for its warranty work on the roof. It came back today - they have done lots of work on it - somethings that I didn't know about as well as a couple of things that probably should not have been done under the warranty, but I didn't ask them to do it! It looks great (and a lot bigger than I remember it now it's back on my drive. Can't wait to get off for the weekend1 (lol) (lol)

I have just read your e-mail. Myself and husband have a Swift Sundance 630L. It's now 6 months out of warranty and we've got a roof problem. I'll post a new thread on this, but basically our roof has lifted because it had no screws holding it down - Swift don't want to know! See additional thread. Sheryll

Archived