Fiat X250 Power Loss

kelly58

Yesterday in France driving up a slight incline we heard a hissing sound from the engine compartment and then a loud PoP , we then had a severe loss of power and a very rough sounding / running engine . The display on the dash was the Amber Engine Symbol and a notice " Check Engine " read out . Luckily enough I was just a few yards from a lay-by . I rang Fiat Camper Care and after many phone conversations a mechanic arrived 3hrs later . He plugged in his small laptop looked in the engine compartment , in pigeon English he then asked what the problem was , after I had tried to explain the problem he dived under the front of the engine , jumped up and fetched a large Jubilee Clip from his truck and fixed the problem . Apparently the jubilee clip on the turbo pipe had broke and fell off allowing the pipes to part thus causing the breakdown. The Fiat 2.2 130 is just over 1 year old with 8500 miles , so I will now carry a spare Jubilee Clip just in case it happens again . A 3hr wait for a 5 minute fix Well it was around lunch time and he smelt heavily of drink , hence the long delay .

Billggski - 2014-05-27 6:38 PM

Happened to me on a Pajero.

It was the pipe from the inter cooler to the injector pump, luckily it was on top of the engine and easy to see, , it's under high pressure. On the x250 it isn't that accessible.

The pipe from the intercooler doesn't go to the injector pump it goes to the inlet manifold. The only pipes going to the injecor pump will be carrying fuel and therefore relatively small diameter while the pipes from air filter to turbo, turbo to intercooler and intercooler to inlet manifold will typically be around 3" (75mm) diameter. Pipes from turbo to intercooler and intercooler to inlet manifold will typicaly be carrying air at up to 1 bar (approx 15 psi), fuel pipes to injector pump will be carrying fuel at several bar pressure if the lift pump is in the tank, if not then they will a,tually be under suction (negative pressure). Fuel pipes between injector pump and injectors or common rail manifold will be carrying fuel at pressures between a couple of hundred bar and a couple of thousand bar depending on age and type of vehicle.

D.

Archived