Ilfracombe sees visitor vow never to return

sambukashot

Guest Peter James

Thanks for the reply Muswell.

I parked on a meter in Edinburgh at the weekend when it was free. The van was a bit to long for the bay so I asked a traffic warden if that was OK. He said he didn't know!!! All he could tell me was that nobody was checking before Monday Morning when they started charging so I was very unlikely to get a ticket.

Guest Peter James
bolero boy - 2014-06-02 10:58 PM

so why does this 'shopping mall' feel,they must charge you,

Same reasons as hospitals charge you to park I guess, or supermarkets put a time limit on their car park.

Because parking is scarce or expensive in that area.

If they didn't charge their car parks would be full of people who have parked there and gone somewhere else.

I got a ticket for exactly the same thing in Ilfracombe (parking across two bays) and took them to a parking tribunal where I won my case and got the ticket reversed. The sign simply said that vehicles should park in wholly in the bays. Which I did. Two of them. The tribunal was all conducted over the phone and was a very simple procedure. Would have thought North Devon Council would have learned their lesson by now.

Thewad - 2014-06-17 5:20 PM

Slight change in thread looking to stay here on site in July as close to sea as poss (kayaking) any info on site please

Is it just Ilfracombe you are kayaking from ?

If not five minutes up the road is Woolacombe with umpteen different sites , woolacombe sands provide big pitches and good shower/toilet facilities for reasonable cost . Seafront car park £5 for the day and handy for parking up and taking the kayak in from

No somewhere in that area will be ok I check out woolacombre thank you,ok just had a quick look it's defiantly northern devon I want more,rocky and interesting for the kayaking found watermouth cove which looks perfect with own beach launch area.

This is so true of hitler councils all over the uk who have become soooo anti motorhome with their stalin rules and regs, a classic example of this was the car park in lyme regis last year where they had spaces for motorhomes which were scarcely six metres long, resulting in m/homes who overhung into the coach/ commercial vehicle parking area getting tickets, coupled with this motorhomes were classed in the same category as commercial vehicles (read the small print on the machines ) so more expensive to park there anyway , we also found these problems in devon, cornwall, and somerset, this annoyed us so much that after seven months with our second brand new m/home we decided enough is enough and traded the van in for a lovely 5 star caravan and must admit we have never been happier since, no more hassle with parking with places we want to see. so its goodnight motorhoming from him , and for god sake local councils you are killing off the tourist trade !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Rayjsj - 2014-05-30 11:29 PM British Resort destinations only give 'lip service' to welcoming visitors, in reality we are a 'necessary nuisance' to be tolerated, and penalised when possible. No wonder so many go abroad. Cornwall is no better.

Just like to point out that Bury St. Edmunds council has an allocated motorhome parking area at their Ram Meadow car park and it's not far from the town centre. Today I saw the parking attendant give a ticket to a commercial vehicle (The same Sprinter van as mine) I asked him if he was going to give me a ticket he said "No way, we are told to welcome motorhomes and we know what to look for" one of the few towns in the country who know that motorhome visitors do a lot of good to the town, how I wish more towns had this attitude.

Losos - 2014-06-26 9:14 PM

"No way, we are told to welcome motorhomes and we know what to look for" one of the few towns in the country who know that motorhome visitors do a lot of good to the town, how I wish more towns had this attitude.

We live in hope :D

But there are so few councils like that , easier just to go to France etc.

Archived