Fitting LPG Gas Tank

Guest JudgeMental
Oh come on Derek! You know as well as us that the main reason people go for refillable systems is for the ease and convenience......

Calorlite refills are about £24 for a 6k bottle, which I think is 12 litres, I bought my complete Gaslow kit for £150, an 11K (22 litres) plus a 6k (12 litres) for spare, as Derek says, work out the total saving.

£2 per litre v 64p = £1. 36 saving per litre

110 x 1.36 = c £150

So I am in profit after 6.5 refills.

Plus I can return or sell the two Calor lites I originally had.

If you buy a new one at full price the break even point is longer of course.

I am quite prepared to have my maths corrected.

Years ago at a motorhome show I was agonising about whether to have an intercooler fitted to the engine to gain some power. This was long before "chipping" became an option. It would be expensive to fit one and my attempts to calculate some sort of cost-benefit result left me uncertain about the value of doing it. The salesman I was sharing this thinking with put his hand on my shoulder and said in an avuncular way - "nothing about motorhoming is cost effective, it's far cheaper to stay in hotels".

I'm sure that when you take into account the depreciation costs and the relatively few nights per year we sleep in them, he was perfectly right.

So whether Kenny wants to spend his money on an underslung gas tank when accepted wisdom has moved on to re-fillables is really a matter for him, isn't it?

Thanks Judge Mental (still like the photo!) and StuartO. I'm happy. I have a gas reservoir that means I'll never worry about running out again. I can cook for the campsite and still have enough gas for the next 3 months. It's easy/convenient/space saving/weight conserving/reassuring/weight balancing (just over the rear axle) and I like to know that I don't have to worry about where I get my gas from next.

Just one thing...

I said that AAG are good. However, they fitted a BBQ point without going through the regulator! Agh! They say that now they will have to fit another regulator ... but they are dallying and I'm constantly having to chase! I phoned them today and he said that he will get back to me. He didn't. Will try again tomorrow. BUT whats the point in paying £120 to have a BBQ point fitted and not be able to use the BBQ from it?

StuartO - 2014-06-06 3:19 PM

...So whether Kenny wants to spend his money on an underslung gas tank when accepted wisdom has moved on to re-fillables is really a matter for him, isn't it?

Yes, of course it is...

However, if he (and others) may believe that spending a considerable sum on a refillable LPG system for a motorhome will rapidly be offset financially from the savings made in the price of the gas, it's as well to be aware of the mathematics involved.

Obtain a Calor 13kg propane cylinder and a suitable refilling adapter (say £30) and you'll soon (illegally) recoup the cost of the adapter. Pay £750 for a tank and the cost will (in general) never be recouped. There are (as JudgeMental points out) persuasive reasons for having a refillable LPG system (which is why I've got one) but cost-savings will often be illusory.

Kenny Campervan - 2014-06-09 8:22 PM

Thanks Judge Mental (still like the photo!) and StuartO. I'm happy. I have a gas reservoir that means I'll never worry about running out again. I can cook for the campsite and still have enough gas for the next 3 months. It's easy/convenient/space saving/weight conserving/reassuring/weight balancing (just over the rear axle) and I like to know that I don't have to worry about where I get my gas from next.

Just one thing...

I said that AAG are good. However, they fitted a BBQ point without going through the regulator! Agh! They say that now they will have to fit another regulator ... but they are dallying and I'm constantly having to chase! I phoned them today and he said that he will get back to me. He didn't. Will try again tomorrow. BUT whats the point in paying £120 to have a BBQ point fitted and not be able to use the BBQ from it?

WHAT????

I would respectfully suggest you get the tank installation checked by a competent workshop immediately! If they are dumb enough to connect a BBQ point which is designed to work at 30Mbar (about 0.45psi) to a full tank pressure line (6-7 bar or 90-105 psi) they should really not be working on LPG systems at all! That is criminally dangerous!

D.

Dave Newell - 2014-06-10 10:12 AM

Kenny Campervan - 2014-06-09 8:22 PM

Just one thing...

I said that AAG are good. However, they fitted a BBQ point without going through the regulator! Agh!...

WHAT????

I would respectfully suggest you get the tank installation checked by a competent workshop immediately! If they are dumb enough to connect a BBQ point which is designed to work at 30Mbar (about 0.45psi) to a full tank pressure line (6-7 bar or 90-105 psi) they should really not be working on LPG systems at all! That is criminally dangerous!

D.

I thought that, when I read it 8-)

(..but as it's such a dangerous b*lls up for a "professional" outfit to make , I just assumed that I'd got the wrong end of the stick.....maybe not...!? :-S )

• 3 weeks later...

AAG eventually fitted the in-line regulator at cost price. £37 - and he showed me the invoice to show that is what he paid. Went away last week to Crystal Palace campsite. Great wardens - thank you Sue- and great camping. Just 28 mins from London City! Used loads of gas - hob/oven/bbq (the bbq point works fab!). When I drove away I still had a full tank of LPG!

That's why I wanted a tank. Convenience and reassurance. Pleased.

I'd still highly recomend you get the installation checked by a competent third party, dumb enough to connect a BBQ point direct to full tank pressure line means they could be dumb enough to hang the tank in the wrong type of straps. For your own peace of mind get it checked.

I also don't understand why they needed to fit a secondary regulator for the BBQ point, why couldn't they connect it to the gas system downstream of the existing regulator?

D.

Yes - I asked that. Why could't they used the existing motorhome regulator? I can't remember what he said but there appeared to be a reason. Maybe because they had already taken the spur from the tank and fitted the filler cap? Either way, it all works really well and if it cost me an extra £37 for the additional regulator, well that's ok.

Thanks for your concern about getting it all checked. I did feel that way. However, I feel assured now that they did a good job. I was shown the straps before they fitted them because I asked to see them (reading all sorts of stories about tanks falling off). They are the stander metal straps from Autogas the supplier of the tank. I can also see the cradle that was made up and it looks a sturdy job. It is positioned just behind the axle and is protected by the axle so can't be knocked.

All in all, I'm confident that they did a good job. Thanks.

Guest JudgeMental
I'm with Dave on this..they sound clueless! having had rusty external tank in the past I would want stainless steel straps..All they needed was to fit a compression T piece for about a fiver *-)

Archived