Heading South

degsy

We plan to head south in our motorhome in the late autumn for a month or more, so I'm looking for a little advice. Last year, about the same time, we had a few weeks in SW France and campsites were few and far between and what we found were pretty dismal - my wife prefers not to stay in aires if possible. This time we think we'll go to southern Italy, it might be warmer as well. As most folk seem to head to southern Spain does anyone have experience of the south of Italy (possibly Sicily as well) during the winter period? Any favourite routes/stop-overs? How warm/dry is it? Are campsites open or where are the good spots/places/cities to stay? Many thanks

I spoke to someone at the Bath and West on Sat who suggested that camp sites in southern Italy are closed in the winter months, even those around Milan etc. are difficult to find. Go into your tourist agents for a look-see - they might have campsite info brochures? Or do a GOOGLE for the areas you plan to visit for sites? Is your motorhome winterised? Will you need chains on the wheels in Europe during the Winter months?

[QUOTE]Lizzy - 2006-09-12 11:17 AM I spoke to someone at the Bath and West on Sat who suggested that camp sites in southern Italy are closed in the winter months, even those around Milan etc. are difficult to find. Go into your tourist agents for a look-see - they might have campsite info brochures? Or do a GOOGLE for the areas you plan to visit for sites? Is your motorhome winterised? Will you need chains on the wheels in Europe during the Winter months?[/QUOTE] Lizzy, Having visited Italy in the winter I can assure you that there are many camp sits open in the southern provinces of Campania, Calabria, Puglia, Molise, Basilcata and Sicily. What often happens people give opinions instead of stating facts :-D Milan is situated in Lombardy in northern Italy and the sites in the area are not well signed. Don

Archived