London Campsites

Greg Sumner

We have been fortunate to get tickets to Radio 2s Live in Hyde Park in September. As this event is on a Sunday and is likely to finish late we wondered about finding a site that could accommodate the Sunday night and have easy tube/train access to and from Hyde Park.

Has anyone done this in previous years or better yet looking to do the same this year?

Thank you in advance.

We had the need to be in London in February, so looked for somewhere to park our Motorhome.

Ended up at Lee Valley (Edmonton, North London) on the campsite behind the Athletics centre. Buses run from outside the centre into Edmonton bus station, which is just a short walk from the train station. Easy access into the capital.

Campsite is nothing special, but has all the facilities you need and is reasonably priced. An added bonus is that if you play golf, there is a course attached to the site and you should get preferential rates to play it.

We too stayed at lee valley last year and travelled into central london using BR & the tube- to Hyde park it will take about an hour and a quarter. Site has excellent facilities but can they may be a bit stretched if site is full.We will definitely stay there again. We staying at CC Crystal palace site next week, have not been there before so will advise if that's any better for you.

bob

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

We did see Lee Valley and although a bit further than we wanted to be from the centre, in reality this is probably the best we can do, would be interested to know about Crystal Palace site. We will be heading to Pembrokeshire on the Monday so Lee Valley may give us a head start.

Thanks again.

There is a bus stop & regular bus service from just outside the campsite. Trip to the station takes about 12 minutes from memory. Not sure what you mean about not leaving the van. Site is very secure and no problems leaving it overnight or unattended for several hours at all.

Bob

Gosh No Greg definitely not an area to leave the van in an unsecured area and I do not think the station has a car park anyway! If you go on to the TFL website you will be able to do a journey planner which will tell you the last bus time and all the changes between bus & tube. You can buy a travel card at the campsite for all day travel around London, I think it was £8 last year.

I will let you know about Crystal palace next week

Bob

Lee Valley and Crystal Palace are the closest you'll get for a campsite. Neither will be particularly well served by public transport late on a Sunday Evening. Maybe have a look for a coach park instead? there are a few dotted about London. And as they accommodate coaches they'll take a motorhome.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/coach-drivers/

Alternatively book a campsite well outside the M25 and get the train into town. You may find that train services to outside London are better than those inside. (they're quicker and don't stop at every station along the route)

SimonH, I would be careful trying to use a coach park to park a motorhome. YES, it will fit, size wise, but I think that you could well end up with a ticket or even towed if you try it near London.

To the O.P......I would check the TFL website and look for the Night Bus times, as there ought to be one going out to Lee Valley at some time.

Travelling on London's Night Buses can be a very mindbroadening experience, and you may encounter everything from Tiaras to Turbans, plus a lot of other things, and may not be for the faint hearted. PersonallyI would pre-book a car with a minicab company, like Addison Lee, to meet you at a pre-arranged point atthe time you choose. They do this sort of thing all the time.

AGD

......I would have though the CC site at Abbey Wood would be a decent stopover.

Abbey Wood Station is within easy walking distance (say 10 mins), and is c45 min to Central London, and within the (Zone4) day travelcard zone, so quite cost effective for visiting London, with rail, tube and bus included

The last train back from Charing Cross is 00:18 on a Monday morning (and may actually be a bus due to engineering works), BUT, the N1 night bus is half-hourly throughout the early Monday morning from Central London to Abbey Wood Station.

Abbey Wood itself doesn't have a lot going for it, but the site is excellent, quiet and secure, and we invariably use it for London "jaunts".

I wouldn't suggest just turning up and parking for the night at a coach park, you can call ahead to check space and book. There are commercial sites as well as state-run ones. There are also a few open car parks run by NCP and other operators. I used to use one very near to Olympia Exhibition Centre in West London that would accept any vehicle that could fit through the gate. This was just 20 mins walk from Hyde Park (but I'm not sure if it's still there - I haven't been that way for over 10 years.

London Nightbuses are awesome. Part of the evening's entertainment! :)

Hi Again

Update as promised.

We stayed for 4 nights at the CC crystal palace site a nice enough site but all the usual Cc hang ups about the way to park and closing the toilets at specific times. ( Why don't Uk sites do the same as those in Europe and work around people using the facilities? Never seems to be a problem overseas.) Staff generally friendly but definitely a hint of Jobsworth.

Having said that we used public transport from the site to the centre of London and went from Oxford Circus to the site in about an hour and a quarter on a very busy Friday night. The walk from Hyde park to Oxford Circus took about 20 minutes and the bus is the number 3- at njght it will be the N3.

You can also use the train to / from Victoria which is also walkable from Hyde Park. The train takes about 40 minutes. The only drawback is that the walk to the station from the site is through Crystal palace Park and although it has security guards I am not sure I would want to walk through the park in the early hours of the morning..

In retrospect and having stayed at both the London sites I think that specifically because you are going to Hyde Park I would stay at the Crystal palace site rather than at lee valley- the journey is much more straightforward.

have a great trip

bob

Archived