Selling Up

kelly58

We have decided after 8 years of motorhoming mainly in France 80000 + miles we are selling our beloved motorhome with all sundry items and going to try something different . As much as we have enjoyed our travels we feel it would be nice to have someone else do the cooking /  bed making etc , so we are looking to taking our time out and use more Hotels / Bus and Rail journeys . Some may think us mad others may wish us well . Until it is sold we will still be using it next month for Le-Tour in France.

Guest JudgeMental
I would try a non motorhome trip or two to see if they live up to expectations....we never spend over 40K on a van so we don't feel guilty or obliged to use it all the time, as we like going further afield. But I'm in the same boat now and faced with having to sell van due to health matters ganging up on me.....at least you have choices, but if you've had enough that's fine! :-D

It comes to us all eventually. I can see your point of view, but once committed to a hotel you are stuck in it, what ever the weather, and will not have the opertunity to move on.

Wishh you well in what ever you do next

PJay

Guest pelmetman

Sue solved the problem of bed making and cooking years ago ;-)...............

I do it all 8-)...............

Best of luck with what you decide..........but I'm with Eddie I'd try the grass on the other side first ;-)...........

Good luck with your 'new' holidaying ways.  However like has been said previously you might consider doing the 'hotel/train/bus/airport thing 'seriously' for a few months.  I traveled all over the world for work for over 25 years and at the end I never wanted to see another airport/hotel again.  Now we only fly twice a year for holidays and the rest is motorhome based.  Our 'flying' holidays are apartment based with a global organisation so the standard of accommodation 'and' fellow guests is guaranteed.  Holidaying this way we still have the freedom....and space to please ourselves.

Anyway regardless I hope you enjoy your 'new' holidaying.

JudgeMental - 2014-06-20 1:27 PM

I would try a non motorhome trip or two to see if they live up to expectations....we never spend over 40K on a van so we don't feel guilty or obliged to use it all the time, as we like going further afield. But I'm in the same boat now and faced with having to sell van due to health matters ganging up on me.....at least you have choices, but if you've had enough that's fine! :-D

Sorry to hear about your health problem, Eddie (do know what is like, to be restricted in this way) Hope you stay stable, and good luck for the future, you can still answer on the forum to keep in touch, none of us know whats round the corner

PJay

We have fixed beds so bed making is easy. As for cooking, my wife has to be dissuaded from cooking and persuaded to eat out. We eat different foods in the van than we do at home. And we eat less as we are not fixed by having to eat meals at certain times to fit in with commitments.

We've felt the tug of hotels and saw it off. You have to pay a lot of money in a hotel to have the freedom to come and go and eat when we like and what we like.

However, the tug of doing railway journeys is still strong and I wouldn't be surprised it it didn't win out in the end. A European travel pass is seductive.

I would caution burning your bridges without trying the alternative lifestyle although if you did burn bridges, then you will definitely commit to making your new life a success. I think I'm in the latter camp. When I decide to do something, I jump straight in and get on with it.

Best wishes for the future.

We bought our mh direct from a couple who were moving permanently to France. We visited them 6 months later at there new home in France and they asked if we would be interested in selling it back to them for what we paid, as they were missing it so much. We said "no chance" we are loving it and 5 years later we still are.

Kelly 58 perhaps youve got it out of your system we sold ours in january (4th motohome) mostly because of limited time and other commitments :and i miss it like crazy we ended up with a pricy one which was too much money for the time it was used : have been on a couple of english hols waldorf (lovely) "cricket st thomas (lovely) isle of wight holiday village (yuk) we came home early ....hated it :thats when i missed having my own accomadation :but as you say lovely to be waited on etc. so i hope you make the right decision for yourselves:- good luck pp:)

Kelvyn,

That is exactly why we changed to a smaller van. We travel less now.

We limit overnight stays to two nights alternated with a Travel Lodge or similar accommodation. It works very well and makes adjustments easy if we find a good site or convenient hotel.

Will

Guest pelmetman
Will85 - 2014-06-22 10:03 AM

Kelvyn,

That is exactly why we changed to a smaller van. We travel less now.

We limit overnight stays to two nights alternated with a Travel Lodge or similar accommodation. It works very well and makes adjustments easy if we find a good site or convenient hotel.

Will

There's a lot to be said for that approach Will ;-).............

FIL used to tour europe for months at a time in a VW camper, and stayed on both campsites and in hotels :D.............Thinking outside the 4 wheel box is the way to go B-)..................

Archived