Erratic speedometer

Coachman

I have posted on here about our speedo going off then back on and Dave Newall said its likely to be the sensor.Today the dealer is saying the dash meter has got to be taken out and sent away for correction and maybe the sensor replaced!!.Now having gone on the internet no one is saying that what they had done as well. The garager also said the part is £175. Would appreciate your comments before I have it done.

The speedo on our previous van ('03 CI Carioca22 on Fiat Ducato 244 2 litre) went erratic on the test drive.

The supplying dealer replaced the drive gear on the sensor - as far as I know he did not replace the sensor itself. IIRC he said the plastic gear was under £10 and he fitted it in around an hour - the sensor is accesible from under the van at the rear of the gearbox. As he did this while I waited (I used my sat nav as a speedo while the part arrived) I know that he did nothing with the speedo head. I seem to recall looking into this at the time & found a few references to the plastic drive gear stripping, so was not unduly concerned.

The van had around 28,000 on the odo when the gear failed & the replacement gear was still working fine 2 1/2 years and 12500 miles later when we P/xed it.

HTH

Nigel B.

Archived