Aires filling up

robertandjean

LordThornber - 2014-06-25 6:10 PM

I fully expect us to embrace use of Aires in the future, but certainly not to save €5, or worse, to be within 1.5 meters of another van.

Martyn

Blimey how much space do you want? :D

When we had a caravan remember being on sites in both Italy & Spain where you couldn't open the window without hitting the next van, never been that close on an aire.

Back to the OP point were were on an aire outside a site a couple of weeks ago 10 vans on the aire with loads of space 2 vans in the site.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lennyhb - 2014-06-25 8:18 PM

Back to the OP point were were on an aire outside a site a couple of weeks ago 10 vans on the aire with loads of space 2 vans in the site.

... I wonder if any of the ' aire users ' were sneaking in and using the site facilities

I've seen that happen when aires are next to sites.

;-)

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2014-06-25 8:30 PM

... I wonder if any of the ' aire users ' were sneaking in and using the site facilities

I've seen that happen when aires are next to sites.

;-)

Happens here as well! was on Brighton CC site the other week and shower block entry by key code, to stop the scruffy wilders that block the entry lane using facilities...I use the term wilders loosely...tightwads more like! :D

JudgeMental - 2014-06-23 9:49 PM

Yawn......Seems like your getting all evangelical about bloomin Aires again...... *-)

Yes you are right Eddie we are getting a bit evangelical again, sorry. Can only put it down to having had three great weeks in France, staying all the time on Aires, all charged, all with hook ups, many with WiFi and also on many space to get out the awning. Visited interesting museums and galleries, fascinating towns and cities, meals in top class restaurants, banter in local bars, three great music events and all in amazing weather. So some excuse for our euphoria perhaps! Sorry to read on another thread that your health not too good Eddie, all the best for the future mate.

LordThornber - 2014-06-25 8:22 AM

With an eye on future plans, I recently purchased the All the Aires book.

It's certainly an eye opener when you can actually see some of them, admittedly some do look quite easy on the eye but of course the pics are taken with only a handful of vans present.

Some of them I wouldn't stay if I was paid to.

Overnight in some of them, yes I can see the appeal, (that's why I bought the book), but a Super U car park, with all the comings and goings of deliveries etc, err no thanks.

Each to their own as ever, but please don't try to tell me it's the way to go.

Frank makes all the right noises of a holiday (for us), in a motorhome, lounging, bbq, water and drainage handy, awning, pool etc.

A van 4 foot away in a car park?

Martyn

Martyn yes there are good Aires and poor Aires.Do not just rely on pictures in books or on line as can be misleading, if there are any you, or any one else, is considering visiting then just ask us. We have stayed on or visited hundreds may well be able to give you an assessment as to if right for you. Hope this helps.

Guest Had Enough

LordThornber - 2014-06-25 6:10 PM

I fully expect us to embrace use of Aires in the future, but certainly not to save €5, or worse, to be within 1.5 meters of another van.

Martyn

Blimey how much space do you want? :D

When we had a caravan remember being on sites in both Italy & Spain where you couldn't open the window without hitting the next van, never been that close on an aire.

You do seem to have a lot of trouble with any site you choose. If it's a CC one you get the one where the warden is, in your words, a despicable little Hitler. If you choose a site in Spain you get the only one where the vans are almost touching each other (not that anyone else has ever witnessed this!).

If you get the chance to wind out your awning, within ten minutes the weather has changed so much that you have to wind it in again! Is there anyone on this forum that's as unlucky as you? ;-)

But to answer your question about how much space do we want, I think that you'll find that it's been dealt with a few times in this thread. We want enough space to wind out our awning (we're sensible enough to check first that there isn't a gale blowing).

We want enough space to put out the reclining chairs and the barbecue. But most of all we don't want to have a motorhome on either side that is so close that you can hear your neighbour fart.

And on every site I've stayed on in the last few years we've had enough space to do all that. But here's the thing. If you go on a site you're guaranteed your space. If you use most aires in the summer and in popular spots the only thing you're guaranteed is that you'll be crammed in like sardines in a can.

Some people will put up with this for one reason only - it's free or cheaper than a site. If such people are happy with this kind of second-best camping that's fine by me but but it's also not for me, and from the reaction to this thread it's not for the majority who've taken part in it.

And as for this site where the owner says motorhomers never stay on it because of all the aires I'm taking that with a large pinch of salt! Perhaps it's a crappy site with loads of statics, who knows?

But what I do know is that wherever I've stayed the number of people on sites is far greater than those on aires.

Perhaps you can tell us where all the motorhomers who descend on such places as Annecy go, when the twenty or thirty places on the aires have been taken up? If the aire is full do they just go home?

I know where most of them go, they go on sites and never even consider the aires because like most of us on here they like comfort and space and aren't so tight-fisted that they'll put up with being crammed in on a car park where they have no facilities whatsoever.

rupert123 - 2014-06-24 10:20 AM

Have just returned from our latest trip and would concur with your comments about aires filling up. However this becomes, all the more, a good reason for avoiding them, who wants to be in a carpark a couple of feet from your neighbour. On this trip we once again used more aires than normal, my brothers influence, but found their use is getting ever more popular, times are hard for the French. We also found the price of using them is going up, so the main reason for them, cheap, is slowly going away.

As have said many times before our use of Aires has nothing to do with price but all to do with situation, in that on the whole Aires tend to be closer to village, town, or city centres than sites. Yes we know not always the case and if a site is near where we want to be then we use it. Also if we are where we want to be then parking close does not worry us but we know many on here are not keen, and that's fine, so understand why some Aires do not appeal. But would not be right if we all liked the same thing, so each to his or her own.

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-06-25 9:08 PM

Martyn yes there are good Aires and poor Aires.Do not just rely on pictures in books or on line as can be misleading, if there are any you, or any one else, is considering visiting then just ask us. We have stayed on or visited hundreds may well be able to give you an assessment as to if right for you. Hope this helps.

You really don't get it though. No one is disagreeing that there are some nice aires. I've stayed on some lovely ones where there were only one or two other 'vans. But this was in the low season or in the more remote country villages.

In Brittany for instance in early June when we were touring the villages with the wonderful parish closes and their amazing churches we had some lovely quiet aires, which was a good thing as there weren't any sites.

But when we went to the coast the aires were crammed and in some cases overflowing onto the street and they really were the proverbial sardine cans.

But for every aire in these popular seaside locations there were several campsites, all of which would have had many motorhomers with their awnings out and barbecues primed.

Because there are so many sites we never had a problem finding a nice municipal or an ACSI site and here's the difference - no matter what time of the year it is on a site you still have space, you still have lovely hot showers and usually wi-fi. You can spread out and have a barbecue and put up your table and chairs and dine al fresco.

Aires have their place. I use them frequently, but usually only for an overnight stop and only then if it's not cramped. For years we've stopped at Caceres municipal site when we're heading through Spain for the Med, Portugal or Morocco. It's a super site and every pitch has its own private bathroom with shower, washbasin and toilet. Every pitch has its own water supply and there's superb free wi-fi.

It costs about €15 or ACSI is €16 with EHU.

One year we thought we'd try the Caceres aire as someone had mentioned it. We drove in and drove straight out! A row of fifteen or so 'vans all with only three or four feet between them. A typical car park aire where I've no doubt that in the morning, if you're unlucky, you'll wait half an hour or longer to get on the borne to top up.

I'm sorry, but I'll pay the €15 euro for the facilities every time! Some people however will put up with anything to save money and that is the entire crux of this aire/site discussion.

Mad Mitch - 2014-06-25 9:58 AM

I agree with Judgemental that in the quiet seasons aires can assume a different character. It also depends on location. If you only want to venture a few km's off the motorway then you may well only find "commercial aires - both in location and cost. If you head into more rural areas you may find some lovely aires, free and immaculate. We were struck by the apparent competitiveness between small towns and villages in the countryside, all of which were trying to outdo each other in cleanliness and facilities. Some of the custom-built services are clever and practical.

It's all about selection and preference.

Mad Mitch.

You are right there are some great rural Aires, as well as the larger more urban Aires we tend to use more often than not nowadays. This trip, for example the aire at Montreux-Chateaux, fitted the former to perfection. Right next to the Rhine-Rhone canal has individual hedged pitches, each with hook ups and room to put out the awning, is idyllic. Next to a really good restaurants and walking distance to a pleasant village ideal for a few days relaxation, might even appeal to Frank!!!

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-06-25 9:37 PM

Mad Mitch - 2014-06-25 9:58 AM

I agree with Judgemental that in the quiet seasons aires can assume a different character. It also depends on location. If you only want to venture a few km's off the motorway then you may well only find "commercial aires - both in location and cost. If you head into more rural areas you may find some lovely aires, free and immaculate. We were struck by the apparent competitiveness between small towns and villages in the countryside, all of which were trying to outdo each other in cleanliness and facilities. Some of the custom-built services are clever and practical.

It's all about selection and preference.

Mad Mitch.

You are right there are some great rural Aires, as well as the larger more urban Aires we tend to use more often than not nowadays. This trip, for example the aire at Montreux-Chateaux, fitted the former to perfection. Right next to the Rhine-Rhone canal has individual hedged pitches, each with hook ups and room to put out the awning, is idyllic. Next to a really good restaurants and walking distance to a pleasant village ideal for a few days relaxation, might even appeal to Frank!!!

And I'll bet it wasn't a free one! In fact one problem with good aires is that they're becoming almost as expensive as a municipal. This kind of aire is actually more like a campsite than a traditional aire, with a price to match.

We spent a night on an campsite type of aire at Mont St. Michel. It had wi-fi but the lane marking still meant that you'd have 'vans very close to each other. It cost €12.

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-06-25 9:10 PM

starvin marvin - 2014-06-25 12:33 AM

Here we go again....boring.

Does seem to be getting a lot of hits for such a boring thread!

Most of us don't think it's boring, hence the debate! It's only Startin Fartin and he's famous for dropping in just to make a horrid little comment! ;-)

Had Enough - 2014-06-25 9:36 PM

robertandjean - 2014-06-25 9:08 PM

You really don't get it though. No one is disagreeing that there are some nice aires. I've stayed on some lovely ones where there were only one or two other 'vans. But this was in the low season or in the more remote country villages.

In Brittany for instance in early June when we were touring the villages with the wonderful parish closes and their amazing churches we had some lovely quiet aires, which was a good thing as there weren't any sites.

But when we went to the coast the aires were crammed and in some cases overflowing onto the street and they really were the proverbial sardine cans.

But for every aire in these popular seaside locations there were several campsites, all of which would have had many motorhomers with their awnings out and barbecues primed.

Because there are so many sites we never had a problem finding a nice municipal or an ACSI site and here's the difference - no matter what time of the year it is on a site you still have space, you still have lovely hot showers and usually wi-fi. You can spread out and have a barbecue and put up your table and chairs and dine al fresco.

Aires have their place. I use them frequently, but usually only for an overnight stop and only then if it's not cramped. For years we've stopped at Caceres municipal site when we're heading through Spain for the Med, Portugal or Morocco. It's a super site and every pitch has its own private bathroom with shower, washbasin and toilet. Every pitch has its own water supply and there's superb free wi-fi.

It costs about €15 or ACSI is €16 with EHU.

One year we thought we'd try the Caceres aire as someone had mentioned it. We drove in and drove straight out! A row of fifteen or so 'vans all with only three or four feet between them. A typical car park aire where I've no doubt that in the morning, if you're unlucky, you'll wait half an hour or longer to get on the borne to top up.

I'm sorry, but I'll pay the €15 euro for the facilities every time! Some people however will put up with anything to save money and that is the entire crux of this aire/site discussion.

Frank have tried to respond in a positive way to comments that many have made on this thread as genuinely want those who use Aires to have as enjoyable experience as we have. Your comments on Aires, and sites you have used, are in the same way helpful and thank you for them. Only point still of difference between us . Now is I feel that of cost. This is, and never has been, a consideration for us. This trip, for example we have played every night up to 15€/night and next trip at least one aire we will use will be at least 20€/night. But for us it is all about location. So O.K. will leave the more vans on Aires or sites debate and focus in future threads on good Aires and good sites. What say you?

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-06-25 9:53 PM

Frank have tried to respond in a positive way to comments that many have made on this thread as genuinely want those who use Aires to have as enjoyable experience as we have. Your comments on Aires, and sites you have used, are in the same way helpful and thank you for them. Only point still of difference between us . Now is I feel that of cost. This is, and never has been, a consideration for us. This trip, for example we have played every night up to 15€/night and next trip at least one aire we will use will be at least 20€/night. But for us it is all about location. So O.K. will leave the more vans on Aires or sites debate and focus in future threads on good Aires and good sites. What say you?

I accept that you are not motivated by cost and have made that very clear only recently. But the fact is that most aire users are and it's the prime consideration. How else do you account for those who will stay on the most dreadful, cramped aires when there is a good low-priced site close by? St. Jean de Luz is a good example.

But where I believe that you are way out is in your assertions that aires are the first choice for the majority of motorhomers. This is simply not the case and I hope that the views of most contributors to this thread have proved that to you.

As I've said, you simply cannot explain where the hundreds of motorhomers go who visit places such as Annecy, St Jean or even Paris. There are no aires in many locations or there are only a small number of aire places in others.

Some aires are good and convenient, but most are cramped in the high season and the ones that are more like campsites are now charging as much as campsites!

As for leaving this and focussing on good aires and sites that suits me. But can I remind you who started this thread? ;-)

Robert & Jean, thanks for that, it does help. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm not anti aire or anti aire user, merely irritated by some posters indicating aire is God.

And spending is the Anti Christ?

Example, just had 165 nights in France and it cost me nothing, in fact I was in profit as I sold the contents of my toilet cassette to a a Farmer.

Well done you.

Eddie JudgeMental comes on and shares that his favourite site costs him €50 a night and he gets lynched, why is it ok to sell your ???? to Farmer French but not for Eddie to flash his plastic?

Martyn

In amongst all the usual egotistical crap on this topic there is some good common sense and a decent Aire is sometimes - repeat sometimes - but certainly not always - better than a poor campsite.

As far as camping Cars are concerned France is rapidly becoming a victim of it's own success and more and more towns are having to place restrictions and/or charges on where and when you can park.

You cannot blame the French authorities for doing this as they would quickly be over run with Camping Cars ruining every scenic and attractive location to the detriment of every other visitor and resident if they did not, but we do have to understand that Motorhoming in France is rapidly changing as there is no longer the freedom and space that there once was.

Away from the coast it is still much easier but we did notice a huge increase in vans and in their sizes this year compared to previous years with many more 'A' class than ever.

So if you want peace and quiet and space, particularly near the coast or in tourist hotspots and in the French school holiday season, a campsite may well be your best bet and as has been said the municipals seem to be a good compromise between cost and comfort.

Now where can I get a good municipal camp site book for France!

Guest JudgeMental

You can download the lot to a sat nav for free + various municipal websites

downloads here:

http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/2011/06/municipal-campsites-france-beyond-gps/

websites: http://www.camping-municipal.org/

http://www.campingfrance.com/UK

if set on a book vicarious do one and there is always the excellent Mitchalin guide

If I hear the term Aires once more i'm going to squem and squem until I make myself sick!:D

As far as I'm aware there is no book dedicated just to French municipal campsites, but this publication should include them.

http://www.campingfrance.com/Guides-et-Magazines/Guides/Guide-Officiel-Camping-Caravaning

It was evident from our recent trip that financial constraints are impacting on municipal campsites, with the opening period often being shortened and the presence of site-wardens being reduced or dispensed with. An extreme example is the campsite described here

http://www.mairiepleyben.fr/~tourisme/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=26

Until a suitable private business partner can be found to manage this campsite, staying there is currently FREE. It's worth noting though that all the 230V electricity-connectors have been removed from their boxes, so it probably won't much appeal to caravanners. There is still (cold) water available, the toilet-block was clean and the grass was well-mown when we visited. The entry-gate was closed, but not locked, and the site was completely empty when we arrived. There was no indication whether or not the campsite was shut or open and I eventually asked the owner of the nearby auberge what the position was.

Tracker - 2014-06-28 11:44 AM

In amongst all the usual egotistical crap on this topic there is some good common sense and a decent Aire is sometimes - repeat sometimes - but certainly not always - better than a poor campsite.

As far as camping Cars are concerned France is rapidly becoming a victim of it's own success and more and more towns are having to place restrictions and/or charges on where and when you can park.

You cannot blame the French authorities for doing this as they would quickly be over run with Camping Cars ruining every scenic and attractive location to the detriment of every other visitor and resident if they did not, but we do have to understand that Motorhoming in France is rapidly changing as there is no longer the freedom and space that there once was.

Away from the coast it is still much easier but we did notice a huge increase in vans and in their sizes this year compared to previous years with many more 'A' class than ever.

So if you want peace and quiet and space, particularly near the coast or in tourist hotspots and in the French school holiday season, a campsite may well be your best bet and as has been said the municipals seem to be a good compromise between cost and comfort.

Now where can I get a good municipal camp site book for France!

Thanks for this response, must say agree with most of what you say, as indeed the number of vans on Aires is increasing all the time. You are also right to point out that those who want more space may well be better heading for campsites where they will find fewer motorhomes, and yes the municipal might well be the best choice.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-06-28 12:40 PM

As far as I'm aware there is no book dedicated just to French municipal campsites, but this publication should include them.

http://www.campingfrance.com/Guides-et-Magazines/Guides/Guide-Officiel-Camping-Caravaning

It was evident from our recent trip that financial constraints are impacting on municipal campsites, with the opening period often being shortened and the presence of site-wardens being reduced or dispensed with. An extreme example is the campsite described here

http://www.mairiepleyben.fr/~tourisme/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=26

Until a suitable private business partner can be found to manage this campsite, staying there is currently FREE. It's worth noting though that all the 230V electricity-connectors have been removed from their boxes, so it probably won't much appeal to caravanners. There is still (cold) water available, the toilet-block was clean and the grass was well-mown when we visited. The entry-gate was closed, but not locked, and the site was completely empty when we arrived. There was no indication whether or not the campsite was shut or open and I eventually asked the owner of the nearby auberge what the position was.

Derek, thanks for your useful and informative posting. Reading French web sites we also note, due to lack of trade, municipal sites are closing or reducing opening to July, August when tent campers are on the move. Also a lot of municipals are, after suitable modifications, becoming Aires.

robertandjean - 2014-06-28 7:40 PM

Reading French web sites we also note, due to lack of trade, municipal sites are closing or reducing opening to July, August when tent campers are on the move. Also a lot of municipals are, after suitable modifications, becoming Aires.

Which kinda disputes the oft bandied statement that more motorhomes use sites than Aires?

Not in France they don't it would seem - and certainly when ever we drove past a site and could see in we did not see many Camping Cars on them!

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2014-06-28 7:48 PM

robertandjean - 2014-06-28 7:40 PM

Reading French web sites we also note, due to lack of trade, municipal sites are closing or reducing opening to July, August when tent campers are on the move. Also a lot of municipals are, after suitable modifications, becoming Aires.

Which kinda disputes the oft bandied statement that more motorhomes use sites than Aires?

Not in France they don't it would seem - and certainly when ever we drove past a site and could see in we did not see many Camping Cars on them!

I've just been to France and stayed on five sites. On all of them there were many motorhomes, all with their awnings extended, table and chairs out and often a couple of bikes to hand.

In all these places there was one or no aires, none of which were full.

But I'll ask you the same question I asked R&J, to which he hasn't attempted an answer.

Let's take two popular French towns that I visited last year. Annecy and St. Jean de Luz. Both get hundreds of motorhomers, and when I've been on sites in these towns there have been many motorhomers on them.

Annecy has two aires, one is a car park for about 12 'vans and the other isn't much bigger. So my question is, where do all the motorhomers go with so few spaces on aires?

The answer is easy, there must be ten sites along the west coast of the lake and if you were to actually stop and walk around them you'd count large numbers or motorhomers.

The same applies in St. Jean. One small dreadful aire but just up the road are three sites, all of which, when I've been there, have had many motorhomes on them.

I'd also ask you where motorhomers go when they go to Paris, or St. Tropez where there are no aires. Again, the answer is easy, they use the sites that are available.

There are nearly 10,000 sites in France averaging 100 pitches each. There are far fewer aires and the majority of them accept small numbers of 'vans, sometimes only between one and five.

What I find odd about R&J's constant assertions is that he doesn't use sites, so how does he know? I on the other hand do use sites so I can see how many motorhomers there are on them. I also use aires by the way, but mainly for overnighting when travelling.

If you read this thread from the beginning you will learn that many members here like sites, they like to be able to roll out the awning and get out the barbeque and recliners and stay a few days.

There is no proof that the majority of motorhomers use aires and common sense tells you that in many places in France, even if they wanted to, they couldn't as there aren't enough spaces.

There will always be the odd exception where you may have a largish aire and only one or no campsites so there will be more 'vans on the aire, but that is a rare occurrence.

In every hotspot in France, campsites outnumber aires by a vast number and I and many other members of this forum will tell you that they have lots of motorhomers on them.

Finally, I have no objection to aires, I use them all the time. I don't care if people never use sites, never use aires or wild camp. It's their business what kind of motorhoming they choose.

What I do object to though is those who try to tell us that only their kind of motorhoming is the correct way and we've had quite a bit of that lately. I also object to people who make sweeping assertions about how many motorhomers use aires and state categorically that aires are the first choice of motorhomers. The evidence points to the opposite.

So is anyone going to answer my questions? In Annecy for instance when the two small aires are full, where do the hundreds of motorhomers go? And places like Annecy get hundreds I can assure you.

I know where they go because I've seen them when I've been on the various sites I've used along the lake!

I might also add that most of the sites I've used aren't visible from a road. And driving past a site that is visible from the road I find it odd that you can, whilst driving, ascertain just how many motorhomes are present, especially as many sites extend back and round corners where you can't see what's on them.

I think you need to keep your eye on the road Richard! ;-)

For what it's worth, I bought the current issue of the French MH magazine Le Monde du Camping Car a few days back. They ran on online poll of readers asking when they're away what is their preference for a night's stop. The answers were:

17.2% campsite

44.6% aire

23.3% wild camping

14.9% a "network of stops" - not sure what this refers to, could be France Passion? The French term is "un reseau d'etapes" if anyone can clarify?

They say the response rate was higher than normal but I've idea what it normally is, so this is probably not exactly a reliable study, but it may point to French MHers' views.

Guest Had Enough
Solwaybuggier - 2014-06-28 8:44 PM

For what it's worth, I bought the current issue of the French MH magazine Le Monde du Camping Car a few days back. They ran on online poll of readers asking when they're away what is their preference for a night's stop. The answers were:

17.2% campsite

44.6% aire

23.3% wild camping

14.9% a "network of stops" - not sure what this refers to, could be France Passion? The French term is "un reseau d'etapes" if anyone can clarify?

They say the response rate was higher than normal but I've idea what it normally is, so this is probably not exactly a reliable study, but it may point to French MHers' views.

But the question was, what do they use for a night's stop? I also use aires for a night's stop! No one is disputing that many people use aires for that reason.

Now if they ask the question, what do you use when you wish to stay a few days you'd get a completely different answer. I also suspect from my own experiences that British, Dutch and German motorhomers use sites more than the French although on the five sites I've used in the last few weeks there were all nationalities, including many French who were clearly staying for days.

I don't think that the French are any different from the rest of us. Many of them like to stay put for a few days and get out the barbecue and recliners.

On their way to Annecy or St. Jean they'll use aires, but when they get there...................!

Archived