Waste water carriers

Pete-B

Hi,

We've got a Bessacarr E460 which we love but find getting rid of the waste water is a bit of a pain. I've got one of those black containers which just about fits under the waste outlet with a struggle if I'm not on wheel ramps. I guess it holds about 20 litres when full which is fairly weighty to carry particularly if parked some distance from the disposal point.

I'm wondering if I should get one of the wheeled one's but I don't know if it would fit under the outlet. I notice most of them seem to have two caps on them, one a lot lower than the other. I would appreciate it if anyone who has one of these could tell me how high the higher inlet cap is when laid down. Also I appreciate I wouldn't get as much in, but would it be possible to use the lower inlet and block the container up a bit until it fits snugly under the outlet tap?

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pete, are we talking about when your on Aires or Campsites, on Aires your supposed to pull onto the Aire itself and discharge your waste water down the provided  Drain/Gully direct,  Campsites are a different kettle of Fish, more and more are providing Aire De Service for Motorhomes those that do not then your down to buckets or as you have already mentioned the purpose designed waste water carriers, Which ever method you choose you can be most certain of getting the waste water into the designated container  by putting a short length of waste water tubing on your Motorhome waste discharge pipe and into your waste container (available from e bay) I carry a metre length of it to ensure I can always reach the waste drain/gully. Hope this is of help,   Safe Journeys.

Hi, Stalwart,

Thanks for the response I'm talking about campsites and mainly in this country. I do have some flexible tube but of course the higher you lift it to put into a container the more you leave in the tank.

Guest pelmetman

I doubt there's much difference in height between the black guzunda your using, and the waste master your contemplating :-S.........

I tend to use a bucket ;-).........................sadly there's a hole in my bucket :D.........

Pete-B - 2014-06-25 8:55 PMHi, Stalwart,Thanks for the response I'm talking about campsites and mainly in this country. I do have some flexible tube but of course the higher you lift it to put into a container the more you leave in the tank.

In that case Pete you would be better looking at the wheeled waste collectors that lots of Caravan owners go for they likes of these, (click on link)

http://www.premiercamping.com/waste-caddy-45-litre-caravan-waste-water-carrier/?catargetid=520002630000002196&cadevice=c&gclid=CNjcy8Xslb8CFSoCwwodl1wAaA

but you would need to check out their depth but most appear to go under Caravans which I would think are no higher than a Motorhome. the Black flattish double capped waste containers hold about 25 litres  good Luck

Guest Had Enough

I have two buckets. One is a very strong collapsible rubber one. This isn't too tall and fits under the outlet. I drain my waste into the small bucket and then decant it into the large one. I then carry both buckets to the grid and dump it. If this is done every day it takes a couple of trips and the grid is never far away on sites.

For fresh water I use a watering can and if the tap is a moderate distance I use two watering cans and can top up my tank in two or three trips.

No need to move the motorhome, no large waste containers to carry and the watering cans and large bucket hang from the roof of my garage so don't take up any usable space.

The only time I use a hose to fill up these days is on my drive when I fill the tank at the start of a trip.

Occasionally if I know we're leaving a site the next morning I'll use the motorhome service point as we're driving off anyway, but normally I never have to move the 'van.

This is an issue for us.

We use a waste master, the height difference, without measuring, between the lowest and highest hole is about 3".

Less, probably though.

The best solution for us is to put the lowest end to the waste drain, unfortunately of course gravity gets in the way but after trial and error it's just the best of a bad job.

The next best in my view is to add a pipe but again, gravity leaves some water in the tank.

If we didn't use our own facilities to the maximum, I'd be inclined to use a collapsible bucket. Google David Klyne for his take on the same issue.

Martyn

Pete-B - 2014-06-25 8:06 PM

Hi,

We've got a Bessacarr E460 which we love but find getting rid of the waste water is a bit of a pain. I've got one of those black containers which just about fits under the waste outlet with a struggle if I'm not on wheel ramps. I guess it holds about 20 litres when full which is fairly weighty to carry particularly if parked some distance from the disposal point.

I'm wondering if I should get one of the wheeled one's but I don't know if it would fit under the outlet. I notice most of them seem to have two caps on them, one a lot lower than the other. I would appreciate it if anyone who has one of these could tell me how high the higher inlet cap is when laid down. Also I appreciate I wouldn't get as much in, but would it be possible to use the lower inlet and block the container up a bit until it fits snugly under the outlet tap?

Thanks for any help.

A genuine Wastemaster is 270mm to the highest point.

If you want one I have one from my caravanning days you could make me an offer, don't know where you are a bit awkward to ship. I'm on the south coast near Brighton. (Will be at Upton upon Sever over the weekend).

I have two buckets one to fill the fresh and one to empty the wastet. Unfortunately they are both the same and I can't remember which is which but Hey Ho the way things are going I'll need a third one for the toilet. I wonder why? :$

Guest Had Enough
enpiste - 2014-06-26 11:47 AM

Motorhomes are designed to drive over the waste point .... thats the idea of having one ... you don't have all the bother of waste containers... water carriers ... or awnings.... maybe you should get a caravan ....

What a silly smart-Alec comment. You probably aren't aware of this but many motorhomers like to stay on a site for a few days and explore by bike of foot. They enjoy winding out their awning and having a barbecue. They enjoy unfolding the recliners and relaxing. Consequently, driving over the service point is a pain in the neck, especially if there's a queue of six other motorhomes in front of you.

I recommend that you read the "Aires Filling Up' thread and you'll learn that many people are different from you. Please don't assume that your way is the only one, that's arrogant.

Assuming I'm on the right horse here, the op has the same problem as me.

The clearance on these super low profile al ko chassis is buggerall, consequently the gap between floor and waste pipe exit is about 10 to 12 cms, that's a pretty small bucket height

The collapsible bucket is fine of course, but as I said earlier, for emptying a 100 litre tank, it's not practical, hence the Waste master.

Martyn

Guest Had Enough
LordThornber - 2014-06-26 5:48 PM

Assuming I'm on the right horse here, the op has the same problem as me.

The clearance on these super low profile al ko chassis is buggerall, consequently the gap between floor and waste pipe exit is about 10 to 12 cms, that's a pretty small bucket height

The collapsible bucket is fine of course, but as I said earlier, for emptying a 100 litre tank, it's not practical, hence the Waste master.

Martyn

You may be surprised. Remember, you're not necessarily emptying the entire 100 litres, only the water you've used since it was last emptied. If you use the site showers you may well only use forty litres a day, and that's being generous.

I use a small rubber bucket because it will go under my lowish emptying point. I fill the small bucket and empty the contents into a conventional plastic bucket. My small bucket takes about 6.5 litres and I can empty it three times into the large one. Having filled the large one I fill the small one again and take both buckets to the nearest grid or waste point, and they're usually very close.

So each trip I'm taking 26 litres. Two trips normally does it and the same applies to filling up with fresh water. I take two watering cans holding about twenty litres between then. I've never made more than three trips and it's usually two.

I do this every evening and find it a quick and painless way of filling and emptying. Certainly far better than queuing for the motorhome service point.

I'm not fond of the wastemaster things that you have to trundle to the emptying point. They're enormous and very heavy to lift if you have to raise it, which you have to do on some sites. They're also a pain to keep fresh and need regular swilling out.

Of course if you have showers in the 'van you'll use much more water but then you'll have to put much more in, which will mean trips to the service point and hoses. A real pain!

Even when I've showered in the 'van I still use my watering can bucket method as moving the 'van is a bit of a nuisance.

Here's my small bucket: http://goo.gl/aKkNHB

Being rubber you can sort of fold them under the outlet but if the bucket is still too tall you could use one of these to decant the water into the large bucket. It's only 12cm tall.

http://goo.gl/z72FKs

Fair comment Frank about not emptying the whole 100 litres at one go. But we do go through some water, even with the Eco Camel shower.

The wastemaster, I agree, is heavy, we had a Fiamma but at 23 litres capacity, no use on the bailey, and certainly wouldn't have gone underneath.

As for the filling, I can honestly say that in 15 years of van use and using our own facilities, we've only moved a van 10 times max, mind you that's 10 too many.

Yes, a lot of thought has and does go into where the tap is in relation to the pitch.

As for filling, we've no choice (apart from filling from inside the van, no thanks), the Bailey is fitted with the Whale aqua source system, it's much better than I anticipated.

Martyn

Guest JudgeMental
I have a waste container that I haven't used in years, where can i get a hose connector that will fit a 2013 Possl/Globecar please

After I have emptied the toilet cassette - I drain the waste tank into the empty cassette.

This controls waste water levels in the tank. When moving on it may be convenient to move closer to the emptying point and you can then do multiple fills of the toilet cassette if you wish without lugging the weighty container too far.

Fred

You could always try a black waste container 23 litres 20cm side height with cap on side and top a 25 litre water container is the same depth coupled with a fold up trolley you can carry your toilet tank as well. All are available at your local caravan store about £25.00 in all us tuggers have it sorted. John 8-) :-D

Thanks for all the replies, the helpful and the not so. Why do some people get pleasure from posting arrogant responses. The Duchess and I are both well into our Seventies now and tend to spend up to a week on a site that we like so, when we park up that's it until departure day.

I posted what I would have thought a reasonably sensible question thinking other people must have the same problem and so expected some sensible answers. I wasn't disappointed and picked up some really good ideas so would say to the others, why spoil a good topic with frivolous unintelligent replies.

I'm thinking the idea of using a Waste Master is probably the answer, by putting the outlet from my tank over the low end of the WM and raising it as much as possible. This must surely hold more waste water than my present 20 litre system and would be much easier to empty.

Just measured my waste and the outlet pipe is exactly 200mm from the ground. I find on most sites we visit I usually have to run either rear or front wheels onto ramps which of course increases this gap.

Once again thanks for all the help.

Pete-B - 2014-06-26 7:45 PM

Thanks for all the replies, the helpful and the not so. Why do some people get pleasure from posting arrogant responses. The Duchess and I are both well into our Seventies now and tend to spend up to a week on a site that we like so, when we park up that's it until departure day.

I posted what I would have thought a reasonably sensible question thinking other people must have the same problem and so expected some sensible answers. I wasn't disappointed and picked up some really good ideas so would say to the others, why spoil a good topic with frivolous unintelligent replies.

I'm thinking the idea of using a Waste Master is probably the answer, by putting the outlet from my tank over the low end of the WM and raising it as much as possible. This must surely hold more waste water than my present 20 litre system and would be much easier to empty.

Just measured my waste and the outlet pipe is exactly 200mm from the ground. I find on most sites we visit I usually have to run either rear or front wheels onto ramps which of course increases this gap.

Once again thanks for all the help.

You could put the low end of the Wastemaster under the outlet put a block under it to raise it a bit then get near full capacity. They still hold a fair bit just using the low level entry.

lennyhb - 2014-06-26  

You could put the low end of the Wastemaster under the outlet put a block under it to raise it a bit then get near full capacity. They still hold a fair bit just using the low level entry.

Spot on Lenny, that's as good as it gets, least Pete has double (ish) the clearance that I have which will enable the tank to drain reasonably well.

Martyn

I have occassionally had difficulty because the waste outlet has ended uo too close to the ground but we only occassionaly stay on one place long enough to require emptying before we move, so it's usually possible to simply allow the waste tank to fill up more than usual and empty it later. So I've stopped worrying about it.

However when I first encountered the problem I scratched my head for ages on how to overcome it because my waste hog just wouldn't go under the outlet pipe. I could tip a bucket to get that underneath but that wouldn;t really work because most of the water would tip out as I did the reverse manoeuvre to get the bucket out.

Logically, I concluded, if the outlet pipe was very close to the ground and water will only flow downhil, my only practical option was to either drain into a very shallow tray (no good) or attach a pipe and allow the water to flow away directly onto the ground. No good on camp sites but acceptable to many CL owners providing you get the other end of the hose well away from the pitch - for example into a hedge.

So this season I will be carrying a six foot length of 1¼" plastic sink waste pipe together with with an elbow connector, which happens to fit snugly on to our MH's waste outlet pipe. This, together with my Hymer's standard length of flexible pipe, should give me plenty of reach to discharge waste water well away from the pitch.

Even if your outlet pipe is narrower and you can't get a snug fit, slipping some plastic waste pipe as a sloppy fit over the outlet pipe should nevertheless allow you to drain onto the ground well away from the MH.

Archived