Ride on mower

ips

I know this is not specifically MH related but it is camping site related so bare with me.

Our ride on mower is dying.

Does anyone have experience of the mulching type, are they any good and do they really not leave any visible grass cutting ?

I am sick of keep emptying the grass box and if I use the topper on the tractor it leaves so much grass its a real mess.

Any reccomendations for one suitable for a one acre lawned site ?

Guest pelmetman

Went to a customers a couple of weeks ago who had 5 acres of immaculate grass B-).............He had an ride on tractor mower, but he cut his grass every other day without a collection box ;-)............

I thought I was a lawn anorak cutting mine twice a week :D...........

We had one of these (previous model I think - but more or less the same) to cut the landing strip at the former Tracker Towers and it did the job admirably as long as the grass was not too long or too wet.

If it was another run over the following day did the trick.

Our local supplier was very helpful and even lent me one for half a day before buying and the only real issue I had was that I found the Briggs & Stratton engine to be very noisy.

It was more suited to the smaller paddock I guess with (I Think) an 85 cm cutting deck and it was very manouverable which enabled me to get close to trees and tightly round flower beds, ponds, plant pots and other such obstacles so popular with Lady Tracker.

http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/riders/r-112c/

If you cut the grass regularly so that the clippings are short they work fine. If you do let the grass grow long they don't work so well. I've no idea on makes but I seem to recall that some have the facility to both mulch and collect the grass. If I'm right then that's the way I'd go.

The acre park at Chateau Retread is cut weekly using a ride on with a 42" deck and the choice of mulching or side ejection, takes about 3/4hr, even with mulching there will still be evidence of cut grass, if you look hard enough. 
You will need a good twin cylinder mower ( Honda is best and available on many brands) preferably with hydrostatic transmission (So that the cutter head is always running at full chat and the pedal controls the speed over the turf) and an electric gubbins for engaging the cutter head. 
If money is no object go for rear wheel steer and a diesel engine. 
As already said there are mulching attachments for rear collector types, it just blocks off the exit port, the blades tend to be slightly different too.  

Asked hubby who is groundsman at County Showground, this is what he said:

They use a Stiga, it has electric adjustable deck height, front mounted as opposed to underslung so you can get into corners, it also steers from the middle so very manouvreable. Twin cylinder diesel is best. Also has front light for nighttime mowing 8-)

He says any mulching deck will cut grass OK, but if its long grass, it will leave it, but in shorter pieces.

They also use a John Deere 740 which has interchangeable underslung decks for mulching or collecting with 3 rear bags! He says they've had it 5 yes with no probs other than the odd broken belt after 500 hrs.

They look after 200 or so acres. ;-)

I used to collect the grass and put it on the compost heap, but unless it is mixed with coarser stuff it just turns to slime. I now just cut more regularly and let it spew out of the back. Even the rough pasture where I cut less often and is mainly buttercups doesn't seem to suffer, so now I have put the collector away.

It's a normal lawn tractor with a B&S engine, nothing fancy, I get them second hand and run them into the ground ( like my women)

Archived