Unstuck Autotrail cab headling

sunnyperran

We have a 2011 Autotrail Excel 640 which is low profile. Over the cab and infront of the Heki vent the inner roof is covered with what looks like textured vinyl.

Unfortunately it is becoming unstuck and is now only really attached at the edges.

I have tried the application of gentle hairdryer heat and pushing it back up, but after a short time it falls again, so I am looking at a more drastic remedy. In order to remove it I will have to remove the inner part of the Heki, the boxes on each side above the doors and the trim at the front which looks like a pretty large job.

I am wondering about using a sharp craft knife to cut round the trim etc and then re-sticking it - but with what????

Any help from the forum would be wonderful.

I have done, and they were not much help and do I really want to use the same stuff that has come unstuck??? They only suggested re-sticking it with a good quality spray adhesive (no names given).

I have just read the instructions on a tub of high strength ready-mixed wallpaper adhesive and it says that it will stick all vinyls so am now wondering if that (albeit a bit unconventional) might be a safe bet as it will allow a bit of sliding movement to help application and usually sticks like s*** !

Guest pelmetman
Might be worth asking for an sample of the fabric to test if it works, before you take the knife to it ;-)...........

sunnnyperran - 2014-06-30 5:10 PM

I have just read the instructions on a tub of high strength ready-mixed wallpaper adhesive and it says that it will stick all vinyls so am now wondering if that (albeit a bit unconventional) might be a safe bet as it will

!

Well folks what do you think about this proposal?allow a bit of sliding movement to help application and usually sticks like s***

Vinyl wallpaper paste might work but it is usually used on a relativly porous wall here it is likely the headlining is over some sort of insulation or even to uninsulated GRP. Grp is not porus and is difficult to get a good bond with. My inclination would be spray on adhesive. They are usually latex based and if both surfaces are coated and left to dry for say 30 second usually stick well, at least for a while but roofs do get hot in the sun and the glue eventually gives up.

You could try phoning Henkel in Hemel Hempstead or e-mail them . They produce Loctie and all the diferent type of glues, quiet a lot for the motor trade,

They should be able to sugest one of thier adhesive's.

A spray would be best. We used a spray glue some years ago on the roof lining in a boat, (same as a MH) and stayed put

Telephone no 01442 278100 ask for the technical Dept.

PJay

Archived