Practical Electric Bikes

Retread24800

We bought folding electric bikes from asbikes and they've been brilliant this holiday. We were in Croatia which is very hilly and my husband is definitely on the large size and unfit but we both quite happily were able to cycle up the hills. One particular hilly route we did 12 miles which is good for us. On a flat lakeside route in Switzerland we did 25 miles, that was about the limit for my husbands bike though I still had battery left. This was about our limit anyway for what we want to do. Any further and we'll move to another campsite!

Guest Had Enough
Retread24800 - 2014-06-30 8:21 PM

But I'm at a loss how to interpret the number of 'power' settings; one seems to give extra help up to 6km/h would that be the same as a pedestrian mode to help push the thing when you are dismounted? Or can you use just the motor at low speeds, ie when starting off?

Really any helpful advice would be appreciated

The power settings are very simple and as the name suggests vary the amount of assistance given by the electric driver. If it's flat and you want maximum battery life you set it on number 1. This gives a little help as you're pedalling, but not a lot. You can switch very quickly on most bikes, it's just a button the handlebars, so if it starts to feel a bit hard you ramp it up to two or three. If you come to long slopes or hills then you can switch it up to five for maximum assistance but as soon as you reach the top you knock it back down to one or two.

If you're just doing short journeys and aren't worried about the battery dying you can go all the way to the shops and back on number five, which on the flat will be almost like riding a moped.

The 6 kph that you mention is a walking mode. You set it to this if you're, in let's say, a pedestrianised area or anywhere else that you have to walk and push your bike. It limits the speed to 6 kph so that the bike won't run away with you if you accidentally twist the throttle. E-bikes can be heavy so it makes it much easier pushing them up slopes for instance.

My Kalkhoff is 2008 vintage, but came with 9 AHr and 18 AHr batteries paid £440 pounds and collected myself, way superior to my previous Giant electric bike,.

Please, avoid Chinese junk, Panasonic batteries will give at least 4 years of use, even if neglected.

Guest JudgeMental
gocro - 2014-07-01 7:55 PM

My Kalkhoff is 2008 vintage, but came with 9 AHr and 18 AHr batteries paid £440 pounds and collected myself, way superior to my previous Giant electric bike,.

Please, avoid Chinese junk, Panasonic batteries will give at least 4 years of use, even if neglected.

wise man..I know of someone who has commuted daily on his Panasonic with only 9 Ahr battery for over 6 years and it still covers the commute.

HE, FYI I did buy last bike mail order, but as I have had a Bosch e bike previously and still have my wife's as well.. and a friend has 2 similar haibike models that I test rode..I felt it an informed decision. only risk being if it breaks down but considering what I saved..no great shakes....Used to work in risk assessment so not easily spooked :-D

Back in 2008 Senior Management decided she wouldn't go out on her normal cycle no matter how often I suggested it. But then her best friend bought an electric Batribike and suddenly that's what she had to have. Looked at add on motors etc but eventually settled on 2 bikes from a warehouse in Harrogate run by a Chinese gentleman. Off we went to try and purchase and I settled on previous year's model, reduced from £650 to eventually £400, while she got the latest model at £750. 8 years l and thousands of miles later both bikes are still running with very few problems. We use the bikes often but I probably only use the electric 25% of the time, disconnected pedal assist and only use the throttle, and darling wife probably 55% of the time. I don't charge the batteries after every journey only when I think they need it which is determined by the terrain.

Eventually when the batteries fail we will replace the bikes with another cheap and cheerful Chinese bike as we can't justify a super duper Bosch crank top of the range German bike for the intermittent use we subject our bikes to. A typical journey consists of a maximum of 20 miles and as SM is approaching her 72nd birthday she prefers cycle tracks but will use quiet country roads.

We also have a motorbike which does less mileage than the bikes.

John

Guest JudgeMental

best practice is not to run batteries right down but to charge more often.......

edit: forgot to mention..If you dont use the bikes during the winter or for extended periods its important to give the batteries a regular conditioning charge..Or else do not be surprised if it dies prematurely.

My little book says charge the batteries twice a month when not in use, or irregular light use.

Probably been said before, but it is a modified bicycle that is being purchased.

As with any bike, the basic equipment from frame, brakes, gears etc all vary in quality, and like other items purchased in life, you have to be prudent about what you buy.

Take a look on any decent retail bike web site, and you will see the cost of a basic bike varies greatly as to the quality of kit that comes on it. This before you decide to add an electric motor and battery of varying quality.

The quality ranges from recycled bedsteads to recycled space junk (the stuff that did not burn up on re-entry)

Always try before you buy, most sellers accept this as part of the deal.

Happy pedlacing

Rgds

Batteries.

Panasonic 26v 10Ah Battery

The Panasonic battery is the heart of the bike. At only 2.4kgs it is very lightweight, and Lithium technology means that it is small and compact. The battery is included in the 2 year electronics warranty, if looked after correctly it will give you years of reliable use. A unique feature of this battery is the ‘hibernation mode’. This means that you can store the battery for periods of up to 6 months without having to top-up charge, and it doesn’t damage the cells.

JudgeMental - 2014-07-01 6:45 AMSorry Corky but cheap, heavy, Chinese tat, will be horrible to ride and as for hills...rather walk to be honest!

lol, nice one Eddie.... But I still think Second Class riding is better than first class walking,  Safe Journeys.

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2014-07-01 9:15 PM

best practice is not to run batteries right down but to charge more often.......

edit: forgot to mention..If you dont use the bikes during the winter or for extended periods its important to give the batteries a regular conditioning charge..Or else do not be surprised if it dies prematurely.

forgot to say. when storing batteries for a long period, it is apparently best practice to store at 60% capacity and not fully charged.

I built my own electric bike using a quality lightweight frame (Claud Butler) to my spec and purchased a Heinzman kit of 750w hub motor, battery, controller and charger. The total cost was around £750 but it was awesome, twist grip control, would sail uphill with no pedalling and sounded like a milk float. I got the local cycle shop to place the motor in the rear rim.You can get 2kw motors but the more power you have the shorter the range. Mine had a range of about 30 miles. Problem is legally speaking you are limited to a 250w motor for road use, but can fit whatever you want for off road. BUT the motors have no indication of power rating! Had great fun on it but sadly due to tailing eyesight am now on shank's pony.

Guest JudgeMental

what you are describing are illegal on UK roads where limit is 15.5 mph (assistance) and 250 watt motor *-)

you are riding an unregistered, untested, untaxed and uninsured electric motor bike.... have an accident and you will be in very deep trouble if police get involved....Madness

Guest JudgeMental
they sound absolutely horrible as they have steel not nylon internal gears..and as I said earlier totally illegal for UK road use..so a bit pointless for most of us. In Germany they have a HS (high speed class) of 350 watt 45 Kph E bikes. They need insurance and a number plate (small) also cant be used on cycle ways etc...so strictly road use only. they are normally bought by commuters. I have heard on good authority that the German law may be adopted in the UK as early as next year....

Archived