Bedsores????

Pampam

Not the jolliest of subjects i know,but i know most of us on here are knocking on a bit ,and usually with age comes wisdom lol:so does anybody on here have any idea how to prevent bed sores my dad is tending to get them on the back of his heel even though he sleeps propped up and with cushions under his knees to try and lift his heels of the mattress(he sleeps like that because his posture is stooped because of the parkinsons) any little nugget of wisdom will be gratefully received cheers pp:)

Guest pelmetman
How about making some foam wraps to go around his ankles just enough to lift his heels off the mattress ;-)............

Hello george i think a sheepskin rug would be good because i can remember 40 years ago seeing my mother in law in intensive care and she was laid on sheepskins all the time she was in there but i dont think my stepmum(lovely) is kean on idea i think ill suggest it again thanks ,and pelmetman thankyou for your idea i was thinking of that too the only probs there is his feet and ankles are extremely swollen (heart) and i wouldnt want to cut off his circulation ,he has a similar cushion for round his neck to support his head cos his posture is so bad (parkinsons) perhaps a combination of the sheepskin and cuffs will have a go when i next go to see him cheers for ideas pp)..... Sheepskin and cuffs that sounds a bit s&m. That'l tickle him (handcuffs)hes an ex policeman lol ....... "Eyup dad ive got you some cuffs for your ankles when your in bed " haha

Had a similar problem with my elderly Mother who was bed bound following a stroke, when we bought her over here she suffered from bed sores which had not been treated in her (expensive) retirement home.
 The medical team assigned to her here in France provided short socks with a cushioning gel pad in the heel, and special cushioned wound dressings. They took about a month to clear up. Our Pharmacie was able to advise and supply both the dressings and the socks which were offered on prescription. 

I also was going to say socks, but thought maybe the tightness around the ankle would be a problem.

How about the sockettes? use in trainers,. I think they have a padding on the heel.

I would have thought the doctors could prescribe something? Aren't there special matress for pressure sores? Why not contact the care service local to him, they do offer various aids , wheel chairs etc, so may have a soluyion for him.

PJay

• 2 weeks later...

Archived