Dometic gas

Linda Quinn

Depends where you are, the absorption type (3 way) fridge will only achieve 30°C under the ambient temperature so if, like me, you are sitting in 30° sun the fridge will just about keep the beer and white wine chilled but will not produce copious amounts of ice for the G and T.
Perfectly OK if you tour in the U.K tho' . (lol)

Hi Brian it is a Dometic under counter 3 way fridge. Our Motorhome is a year 99 reg. we bought it second hand so I prosume it is the original fridge. I is working perfect on elec and battery. Thanks for your reply I very much appreciate it.

Possibly  a  small 12v fan usually salvaged from an old desktop computer fitted behind the top fridge vent will help cooling in extreme heat by drawing the excess heat away and aid circulation , I have fitted one in all of my motorhomes and always seem to do the trick . There used to be an article on how to on the Swift Owners Forum. Also if possible try and park with the fridge side in the shade.

Linda Quinn - 2014-07-04 10:35 AM

Hi Brian it is a Dometic under counter 3 way fridge. Our Motorhome is a year 99 reg. we bought it second hand so I prosume it is the original fridge. I is working perfect on elec and battery. Thanks for your reply I very much appreciate it.

OK. Next question! :-) When you say it works perfectly on 12V and mains, I assume you mean it cools adequately. If so, we can discount the lack of airflow theory. So, how do you know that it is not cooling adequately on gas? Thermometer, or something else?

When I asked which model and age I was referring to the fridge, not the van. :-) Should have a model number beginning with RM......... Failing that give us the van make and model, and someone may know which fridge was fitted.

As the van is 1999, it will be about 16 years old, possibly older if it was a previous year's model that had stood around on a dealers forecourt before being registered. Is this about right?

My understanding is that these fridges usually work a bit better on gas than they do on electricity. If you are certain it works less well on gas, I think either the flue is obstructed (rust particles, cobwebs etc) and needs a clean, or possibly the gas jet is partially obstructed and needs a clean out, or similar. Either way, it points to it needing a service. I'd suggest this is done before you do anything else, as it may never have been serviced during its life to date. You can't really judge its performance until it is working at maximum efficiency, and a service should ensure that is achieved.

As you'll be having the fridge serviced this is largely academic, but - with older Dometic fridges - it was often possible to view the gas-burner's operatiion from within the leisure-vehicle via a small 'window' set into the rear wall of the fridge. The gas-flame should be blue and of a uniform size/shape. A very orange, or poorly sized/shaped flame, will be a good indicator that cleaning of the burner and/or jet replacement should be carried out.

Archived