Mirror protectors

peacock312

They do normally cost circa £100, but the ones on the Towsure website do not fit van conversions, only vans with long arm mirrors, such as coachbuilts and "A" class.

I fell foul of the van conversion problem some time ago (they have much 'thicker' lower arms than the long arm types) and I know that they will not fit a PVC.

There are cosmetic mirror covers at about £50, and mirror guards at about £100.

How much more substantial they are I couldn't say, some folk think they should be made if Kryptonite and have complained when they hit branches and broke.

You pay your money and take your choice.

The Milenco product is described here

http://www.milenco.com/products/mirror-protectors/

It is available in black or white, and can be purchased on-line for slightly less than David (peacock312) paid. I believe alternative protectors are 'stuck' on to the original mirror, whereas the Milenco protector is said to use a screw-on clamp. The advertisement (and name) makes it plain that this is a mirror 'guard' and not merely a pretty cover but, as Bill (and the Milenco advert) suggests, this type of product should not be expected to cope with being battered by a sledgehammer!

(It would be helpful if David could comment on the quality/sturdiness of the Milenco protectors when he receives his and how straightforward they are to fit.)

I have the Milenco protectors which cost me £49.95 delivered. They are a plastic (ABS?) injection moulding and about 4 or 5mm thick. Possibly 2 or 3 times stronger than the original mirror housing but hard to say.

They have a lip which fits over the outside edge of the mirror , then you 'fold' them in over the mirror and attach the clip/lip over the mirror's inner edge using the 2 screws. There is space between the protector and mirror to fit impact-absorbing foam pads; they supply some very minimal ones but I chose to supplement these.

Very neat in gloss black, or white if you want to them to stand out.

Worthwhile protection and also perfect for covering a cracked mirror housing (ahem..)

I haven't seen either of the alternatives so can't offer a comparison.

Hi.the mirror protectors came today,very soft plyable plastic,perfect fit,fitting time two minutes each side,as Steve said,comes with two cushion pads,tried to put half inch foam between mirror and case but felt I was stressing case so abandoned it

My cab is grey/silver and they now really stand much better than the matt black.

I cannot say how much impact they will absorb,but as they now stand out,prevention may be better cure.

Dave.

My daughter just brought the motorhome back from le tour de Yorkshire, with a hole in the near side mirror casing, blamed her husband. Was going to get a pair anyway, it's now more urgent.

Will see if the protectors are on sale at Stafford this weekend. It would be useful to put the two types together for comparison. Short arm mirror protectors are on eBay in very shiny chrome, even more obvious, but won't fit of course.

I'tll be interesting to see if they are as effective as the original ones, at protecting the mirror assy. from 'near miss' damage. I have a set of the 'originals' they have already saved my 'Drivers side' once, in Cornwall, I lost the indicator lense, but the mirror was ok. Ray

• 1 month later...

At the Malvern Shown yesterday I also had the opportunity to compare the “MirrorGuard” product with the considerably cheaper Milenco equivalent, and with the protector that used to be marketed by a competitor based in Bristol.

There’s no doubt that the MirrorGuard protector is the superior product. The plastic used is much thicker, heavier and better finished than the material used for the other protectors.

It ought to provide the better protection in the same way that a motorcycle helmet should provide better protection than a bicycle helmet, though it won’t protect against every impact any more than the best motorcycle helmet can guarantee a motorcyclist won’t have his/her head knocked off in an accident.

Is the Mirrorguard protector ‘worth’ near twice the price of the Milenco version? Probably...

I have had 3 fairly hard knocks on our 'mirrorguard' protectors now, the first one broke the Indicator lens, but the other two,although they knocked the mirror back against my door, never broke or cracked anything (not on my vehicle anyway) , the other vehicles never stopped,so never checked their mirrors.

I think that the Hard foam pads between the protector and the mirror casing absorb some of the impact, the marks on the mirrorguad polished out,with a bit of elbow grease. Happy with their performance.

http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk/

Ray

Ditto the above. Ours have provided protection on several occasions the worst of,which was a concrete fence post hidden in a hedge in Devon on a road to a site that had a record of causing damage to motorhomes and caravans. There was some slight scratching to the protector but it's hardly noticeable and after all better than a broken mirror. As my lads used to tell me when they were young "You get what you pay for Dad".

I recently purchased a pair of white Milenco Mirror Protectors and, as has been mentioned, they were easy to fit - quickly and securely.

I have also seen the original Mirrorguards, but decided to go for the Milenco ones. I have some of Milenco's other products and have been impressed with the design and performance of them.

I'm certainly very happy with the mirror protectors, although they haven't been tested in anger (and which I hope they won't be). Again, as others have said, they certainly look distinctive and should make them more visible to oncoming drivers - that's the theory anyway.

Mike

Archived