Travelling with a cat

Firstly, apologies to all users - didn't intend our username to be in uppercase and am in process of changing this.

Down to the nitty gritty — does anyone have any experience, or known anyone who does, of travelling with a cat. We are planning to embark on a year around Europe next March and want to take our cat with us. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

For many years, many years ago, our cat travelled quite happily with us over the length and breadth of England, Wales and Scotland. He was rarely out of the 'van and always in a harness. He always knew when we were about a mile or so from home and was always ready to jump out when we we got to our house. In those days it was six month's quarantine for animals from abroad so we never considered taking him to France.

The second cat we had would not even stay in the 'van on the drive, even with the engine off. Luckily it was " on loan" from my daughter who continued to give it a good home for the rest of its long life.

The difference in the two cat's attitude to motor-homing appears to be whether they are Siamese or not.

Our travelling cat was part Siamese. The second cat that didn't want to travel was basically an English Tom.

Now we don't have a cat at all. What to do with a smelly cat litter tray at 3 am was a problem we never solved.

We were on an aire in France a couple of days ago and a MH had a great hairy beast of a cat tethered outside ... it was so big that our dogs thought it was another dog at first ... indeed it was bigger than 2 of ours! Massive thing and it stayed out most of the time on a long lead, mind you, looking at the size of it, and how hairy it was ... it might have been a small troll in disguise!!!! :-D

If you want to get really adventurous, you could do what someone was doing last year and taking a fully grown pot-belied pig with them in their MH which lived in the garage! 8-)

JudgeMental - 2014-07-09 7:57 AM

Taxidermy? Make life a whole lot easier.....

Expensive - better to buy one of those curled-up artificial ones that appear to breath quietly but don't scratch the furniture or need a litter tray.

Mel B - 2014-07-08 8:48 PM

We were on an aire in France a couple of days ago and a MH had a great hairy beast of a cat tethered outside ... it was so big that our dogs thought it was another dog at first ... indeed it was bigger than 2 of ours! Massive thing and it stayed out most of the time on a long lead, mind you, looking at the size of it, and how hairy it was ... it might have been a small troll in disguise!!!! :-D

Maine Coon?

We have come across a couple of cats being walked on leads when we were in France and Germany, I cant see a problem, you just have to make sure you have a travel crate or similar as I would think having a cat suddenly deciding it wants to sit on the windowsill could be a problem when driving (lol)

Dont forget you will need the rabies shot and pet passport the same as for dogs, and if you are going for more than 12 months you will need to get its booster abroad and you pet passport stamped, other than that I would think its just making sure you can get the food its used to abroad. Happy travels.

We have come across a couple of cats being walked on leads when we were in France and Germany, I cant see a problem, you just have to make sure you have a travel crate or similar as I would think having a cat suddenly deciding it wants to sit on the windowsill could be a problem when driving (lol)

Dont forget you will need the rabies shot and pet passport the same as for dogs, and if you are going for more than 12 months you will need to get its booster abroad and you pet passport stamped, other than that I would think its just making sure you can get the food its used to abroad. Happy travels.

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2014-07-09 9:48 AM

Mel B - 2014-07-08 8:48 PM

Maine Coon?

Blimey!lol no need for a guard dog!

giant-cat_2244900k.jpg.c23597dbe56a83f7342f031ffccca213.jpg

I hope our paths never cross ..... we have 2 Whippets. 8-)

We have seen a number of tuggers and motorhomers with cats. Some of them take to a harness and lead quite comfortably but I have seen one doing somersaults. It was not a happy cat. ;-)

We have traveled with a cat on a number of occasions in UK.

We only kept her on a leash in a harness on the days we intended to travel. Otherwise we always requested a pitch by a hedge. and she roamed free, returning to be fed as it became darker and she felt less exposed.

Initially she strongly resisted the harness but accepted its limitation - she was able to be inside or out but not disappear for the day on adventures.

Mandy was a blue cream Persian, however Mitzi a tabby could not cope at all and was fed by neighbours.

Joyce

Archived