That speed sensor

Coachman

Sorry to go on this again but still in problems.As I cannot get under van a garage tested as Dave suggested and came up with a new sensor had to be fitted.This Tuesday went up country and blow me the speedometer went off again after doing only twenty miles. As we have a sat nav I used that for next few days. Filled up with diesel at Oxford having done about 350 miles without speedo and blow me it started up again and still going the next 165 miles.I did notice that the speed was reading between 4/5 miles faster than the sat nav which was unusual.The garage said the gearbox oil was dirty and suggested renewing it which I agreed so total bill came to £291, the sensor was £106 plus vat, Any ideas chaps?.

If memory serves, Fiat stopped fitting level plugs to gearboxes some years back. The correct quantity of lubricant is added during assembly Any leak should show externally and be rectified before the box is completly drained and refilled by volume..

That being the case its difficult to imagine how the garage established the gearbox oil was dirty.

Having said that, bearing in mind the van is 12 years old it was probably a good idea for a a vehicle that stands idle for lot of the time so that condensation can accumulate.

Archived