Hymer roof blind

hallii

My 522 van has the over cab rood light (non opening) the cord for the blind has snapped.

I have had a careful look but cannot find any way to remove anything but the plastic strip at the top.

Has anyone replaced the said cord? How is it done?

H

A photo would help.

If it is the same as the cassette window blinds you take the corner mouldings off and you can then get at the screws that hold the blind in place.

Has the cord snapped or just pulled out of the fixing? If snapped kite line makes a good replacement.

I think you'll need to talk to a Hymer dealer about this. They, in turn, are likely to need to talk to Hymer to obtain guidance on how to get at the blind to replace the cord.

If the installation is anything like that on our Hobby Van (as I believe it may be), the only way in is to remove the rooflight itself, and access the blind from outside.

I never had this problem, but often wondered how the blind could be accessed. The problem we did have, however, was that our rooflight became part de-bonded, and had to be totally removed in order to re-bond it back in place (Hobby paid, thank you Hobby! :-)). I took the opportunity to have a look at the blind with the rooflight out, and it was then perfectly accessible.

Given the right man with the right tools, the rooflight was out and back in less than an hour. Fiddling with the blind may take rather longer, however. Having got the relevant information from Hymer, an authorised dealer should be able to tell you what you are likely to be in for! I'll be very surprised if you are the first to have the problem, the Hymer Van sold well across Europe, so I'd expect the repair to be well rehearsed by now.

I think you have confirmed my fears Brian, I suspect that the lot has to come out. I do know it is bonded (like a windscreen) and has to be cut out and re-bonded. Seems like a dealer job to me!

I have come up with a reasonable solution (I think), I have ordered one metre of "A" polarity magnetic self adhesive strip and one metre of "B" polarity, they apparently stick well, as unlike polarity attracts. ( Is THAT why I married Mrs H). That should keep it closed and if I am careful opening and closing it might "see me out".

H

thank you Cheryl, I ordered some magnetic strip and it arrived yesterday, (following day!) courtesy of ebay trader. Stuck it on and it works a treat, I have to make sure it goes up and down square but that's no problem, better than ripping the thing out and if there is no cord then it won't snap again :-)

H

hallii - 2014-07-20 11:38 AM

thank you Cheryl, I ordered some magnetic strip and it arrived yesterday, (following day!) courtesy of ebay trader. Stuck it on and it works a treat, I have to make sure it goes up and down square but that's no problem, better than ripping the thing out and if there is no cord then it won't snap again :-)

H

Your mod sounds ingenious, glad your sorted Hallii. :-D

Archived