Sevel PVC E-bike rack

Robinhood

....as there has been some discussion on the forum about bike-racks capable of handling the weight of E-bikes (or indeed, capable of handling ordinary bikes without bending the rear doors), I thought the following link (to a relatively new product) might be of interest.

http://www.sawiko.de/futuro.php

It has certain advantages over the Sawiko and similar chassis attached racks in not requiring additional lighting boards (as the rear lights are not obscured), and allowing use of a towing attachment at the same time as carrying bikes.

The fact that it swings with the door might also be more attractive than a chassis attachment that has to be separately moved for rear-door access.

I'm slightly concerned that all the weight appears to be taken by three of the four door hinges, but it has to be better than a simple door attachment.

Note, it winds down to low-level for loading/unloading, and also folds up (much like Fiamma/Thule bikeracks) when not in use.

Not cheap at around €1600, but looks a decent piece of kit.

Guest JudgeMental

I looked at that but prefer this: A bit cheaper and incredibly strong, plus well engineered, the Busbiker NL (80 Kg) which we have. It is independent of the door and has replacement sill (fits underneath plastic rear step) and chassis connections. A joy to use you can leave it open fully loaded to get in back doors. The best bit of kit we have ever had on a van....Hugh also has this rack. It was his I went to see when considering a DIY fit.....

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvmbYKY304A

I considered getting it imported and fitting to the Adria we had but decided to upgrade van anyway. It is a DIY fit preposition. Main parts being steel means I have been able to fix a bike ground anchor, and chain up bikes easily...can feel pretty confident when travelling now with expensive e bikes.

So looks like yet another down sizing.... what vans are you looking at :D

edit: just looked at your link and dont like that at all, not the model I looked at previously..aluminium for a start, (easily cut to remove bikes) center of gravity high,even though it winds down loading still higher then the far more straightforward busbiker surely handling compromised. Its fitted to body work....plus more importantly blocks rear window opening in hot weather...dont get it to be honest

Robinhood - 2014-07-19 4:05 PM

I'm slightly concerned that all the weight appears to be taken by three of the four door hinges, but it has to be better than a simple door attachment.

I would have guessed that some of weight is taken by roof bar mounts, what ever, closed and on the move even if it's only 3 hinges thats 50% more than the Fiama and much better from a leverage point of view. It has triggered an idea in my mind for a better rack which I'll be investigating over the next few weeks.

....the roof bars are an extra cost option. (and IMO very much a "styling accessory" unless you want to mount a solar panel and/or sat dish on them. There also appears to be an auxiliary high-level brake light, and options for mounting cameras, etc. and embedding any cabling in the bars themselves).

The mounting certainly looks more robust than any Fiamma/Thule equivalent, and as you say, with much less leverage, but will very much depend on the strength of the hinge mounting points and the associated rack attachments.

Still, an interesting new variation to consider. ;-)

Archived