Dogs dying on car ferries

Rowan Lee

StuartO - 2014-07-22 1:29 PM

... It is the pet owner's choice and people who talk of sneaking or even breaking in to the car deck give their pet some relief, and thereby perhaps compromising the ship's safety, are being rather silly.

I've only just noticed the respondents' comments further down, in the OP's link...

..and although they're littered with : " it's dreadful, appalling, disgraceful, inhumane, the ferry company should be prosecuted!.." type comments, very few( if any?), put the slightest onus on the dog owners? .. :-S

pepe63 - 2014-07-22 2:26 PM

StuartO - 2014-07-22 1:29 PM

... It is the pet owner's choice and people who talk of sneaking or even breaking in to the car deck give their pet some relief, and thereby perhaps compromising the ship's safety, are being rather silly.

I've only just noticed the respondents' comments further down, in the OP's link...

..and although they're littered with : " it's dreadful, appalling, disgraceful, inhumane, the ferry company should be prosecuted!.." type comments, very few( if any?), put the slightest onus on the dog owners? .. :-S

I don't know just how big a problem this is (on ferries sailing ex- UK ).

I wonder just how many dogs do die on ferries each year.

(?)

sshortcircuit - 2014-07-22 9:49 AM

Its been the practice for years as to how pets are carried on ferries so the owner has to make the arrangements for the pets needs. Now doubt the ferry companies could provide the service you are sugy

gesting at a cost of £50 > £100 each way which you would be willing to pay???????

Yes

I wonder why the owners who are so upset at having to leave their pets unattended on ferries don't just use The Shuttle? No need to travel separately from your pet, and very frequent service, so not sure why you would chose the ferry, if it didn't meet your needs? It is not very practical to provide a separate travelling area for dogs and their owners on a D/C ferry, like the one where this happened. It would be very expensive for owners if they had to do this, and I think it is more likely they will just stop taking pets in future, if there is too much made of whether it is appropriate for a pet to travel as at present, in the owners vehicle, with water etc provided for a 2 hour journey. The cars are not in the sun, they are on an inside car deck, so comparisons with kids or pets left in the open in cars do not really apply. I have yet to return to the car deck and find it at 30 degrees. We travelled with our old dog many times, and she was never anything other than sleeping peacefully when we returned to the car deck. But she was not a pug, and not overweight.

At the risk of repeating my earlier post on the subject -

Brittany Ferries allow you to attend to your dogs en-route, what other providers offer in the way of facilities I can't say.

The onus is on both parties to ensure decent animal welfare - but as I said before, this could just as easily happen in any car, anywhere - if you've not taken sensible precautions.

Poppy - 2014-07-22 2:45 PM

sshortcircuit - 2014-07-22 9:49 AM

Its been the practice for years as to how pets are carried on ferries so the owner has to make the arrangements for the pets needs. Now doubt the ferry companies could provide the service you are sugy

gesting at a cost of £50 > £100 each way which you would be willing to pay???????

Yes

Should never have asked the question as it was pretty obvious what the answer would be. Just use the tunnel as it so convenient and you can have pet with you all the time

Its nothing to do with IMO; Caledonian MacBrayne will allow a passenger in the company of a member of crew to go down to the vehicle deck to check on a pet on longer crossings.All you have to do is ask the purser.

We do not know the state of the health of aninmals who have succumbed on ferries in this manner.

While I appreciate the concerns of those who may have lost loved pets it is the owners resposibiity to make sure that their pet is in the best possible condition before sailing.

One suggestion to help is to lightly excercise your pet before boarding this will help it to settle during the crossing.

Finally If you are in a m/home its not to hard to leave vents open and water down for any animals, before leaving them.

Poppy - 2014-07-22 8:17 PM

Most people on here seem more concerned with how cheaply they can transport their pets than how safely.

Some on here seem to be of the opinion that the tunnel is the better option...and those that do use the ferries seem to be able to prepare adequately for the trip(pre-cool the vehicle, make sure there's water available etc)

..maybe your accusation would be better aimed at some of those in the OP's link..the ones who seem to be pointing the figure of blame(responsibility?)at anyone but the dog(s) owners.... :-S

The tunnel is the better option. Something we have always used BUT please explain to me how you can protect your pet if it is in an overheated car deck and you can't reach it.Airline passengers expect better.Perhaps because they are prepared to spend more.

Poppy - 2014-07-22 8:43 PM

Airline passengers expect better.Perhaps because they are prepared to spend more.

I've just Googled " dogs die in airliners " and it seems it is not uncommon on planes - so I'm not sure why you think they are a better option..

:-|

malc d - 2014-07-22 9:25 PM

Poppy - 2014-07-22 8:43 PM

Airline passengers expect better.Perhaps because they are prepared to spend more.

I've just Googled " dogs die in airliners " and it seems it is not uncommon on planes - so I'm not sure why you think they are a better option..

Compare Virgin Airways very specific guidance on the carriage of pets with PO its your responsibility no matter what.Accidents can happen but particularly Virgin seem to go that extra mile to avoid them.Ferries do vary though.Brittany Ferries has an excellent facility (compulsory) on its Rosslare crossings.Your pet gets a kennel on deck 10,there is an outside exercise area and the owners can visit at any time via a swipe card.They also have a limited number of pet friendly cabins on one of their Spanish crossings.

DFDS do offer a facility for a foot passenger to take a dog in a carrier on the Newhaven to Dieppe service so one of you could go as a foot passenger.For short crossings Eurotunnel beats the lot by a country mile.Eurostar won't take dogs but there is a taxi service that will transport you on the Eurotunnel.I am going to investigate more.

:-|

Archived