alarm faulty

Archiesgrandad

Our van has a Sigma M30 alarm system fitted, and up until now it has been trouble free, but since we returned from France last week it keeps going off in the middle of the night.

In my nocturnal wanderings I have checked for even slightly open windows and vents, made sure that the battery voltage is up to scratch, checked to make sure the doors are properly closed, everything that I can think of, but at 0300 this morning it was off again.

It only does it at night, and I am beginning to wonder if it may be due to the hot weather or something, does anyone have any thoughts please?

AGD

If it is oversensitive sensors activating the alarm for whatever reason it may be possible to cover them, possibly with masking or similar tape, so they are unable to be misled into thinking there is an intruder. Worth a try?

This will still leave the door activated switches as protection - unless it one of them that is the culprit and they may be adjustable or have worked loose?

If the van is in a relatively safe environment and as long as your insurer is not giving you a discount for using an alarm whenever you leave the van unattended do you need to set it at all?

When you clear the alarm it should indicate either via the indicator flashes or via the LED flashes which circuit triggered it, this should then help you to figure out what is setting it off. Most alarms can be set with the internal motion detection turned off, worth a try to eliminate them from the possibilites.

D.

Thank you all, I think the mystery is solved, last night we had peace perfect peace.

As is so often the case the problem was me.

Whilst we were in France the electric window on the nearside failed. I wedged it up with a stick until we were home, and once home I set about finding the problem. In order to check the power supply I needed an earth contact and after jabbing at everything metal with my rudimentary circuit checker, a bulb with a length of wire and a bulldog clip, the only earth I could find was what I took to be the courtesy switch for the interior light , so I connected a wire to that, and left it attached for a few days whilst I resolved the window issues. (Broken earth wire and worn out switches)

It was only towards the end of the task that I realised that the terminal I was using was part of the alarm system and not a courtesy light switch. I have removed the spare wire, everything appears to work beautifully. Peace perfect peace.

Thankyou all, AGD

Archived