Rental Vehicle Insurance

DonShakey

Hi Everyone. I am an excited 1st time owner of a Elldis Autoquest 180. To help with the affordability of owning a motorhome while bringing up 2 girls and being self employed I intend to rent my motorhome out Can anybody recommend a company that will provide fully comp insurance?

Thank you in advance

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Don.

This fairly recent forum thread may be of interest

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Renting-out-my-motorhome/33672/

and you’ll find plenty of on-line discussion if you GOOGLE-search on “renting out motorhome”.

Regarding insurance, this webpage may be helpful

http://www.leisurerentalsdirect.com/pages/ownerresources.asp

(Click on “Setting up a Hire and Reward insurance policy”)

Guest pelmetman

As well as the correct insurance, don't get emotionally attached to your vehicle just treat it as a business ;-)..............as the inevitable bits of damage will happen :-|.............

Thank you all. I really appreciate the time you have taken to send such detailed replies. Seems renting out your motorhome is frowned upon!! We're in our early 30's so this just makes it all the more affordable for us. We were originally looking at a 45k van but realised damage is bound to happen so went for a 30k van instead (still a lot of money!!).

We're buying through Elite Motorhomes in Banbury. Has anybody dealt with them previously?

DonShakey - 2014-07-27 12:52 PM

Thank you all. I really appreciate the time you have taken to send such detailed replies. Seems renting out your motorhome is frowned upon!! We're in our early 30's so this just makes it all the more affordable for us. We were originally looking at a 45k van but realised damage is bound to happen so went for a 30k van instead (still a lot of money!!).

We're buying through Elite Motorhomes in Banbury. Has anybody dealt with them previously?

If asking for feedback about a dealer, best done before you spend any money with them.

I once looked at buying a motorhome that was an ex-rental, it was 18 months old and had a very hard life, they may not all be like that but from my experience of owning a holiday home, they never treat it like you do. You spend tens of thousands buying it and they spend a few hundred renting.

Personally I wouldn't let my best friends us our motorhome mainly because if something does go wrong it usually costs a lot of money to put right.

If you buy from a dealer and get a warranty, will they still honour it if they find out that you are renting it out, just a thought.

Enjoy the time you have with it and use it lot yourself.

Mark.

Archived