where to go in the Loire?

lesjax

Do you mean to follow the Loire from sea to source, as it is a long river, or do you have a specific section in mind? We have traveled this fascinating river from sea to source but it was completed over a five year period and three separate trips totaling some 8 weeks.

As to what is memorable or not, that depends on what kind of memories you seek - be it river, countryside, chateaux, towns, cities, churches, villages, vineyards, mountains or whatever?

For us the best bits were the quiet and often untouched old villages and scenic mountains in the upper reaches towards the source, but that said we found some of the small towns in the central section like Briare with it's interaction with the canals to be interesting too?

We also found quite a few don't bother again places but one man's meat is another man's poison as they say so I am not going to name and shame as you need to see to know - plus if you didn't see the grotty bits you wouldn't appreciate the good bits!

There are plenty of tourist offices about and they are worth a visit because they will point you towards the best bits in their locality so my advice would be to pick a section that fits in with your time and preferred speed of touring abd just take it as it comes and enjoy the diversity.

lesjax - 2014-07-28 11:31 AM

Hi, I am going to tour the Loire at the end of August. Are there any must visit places? Like wise any dont bother places (?)

It might help if you could give an idea why you chose the Loire as a place to tour. What drew you to it, or what are you looking for from it? At 639 odd miles it is, afer all, the longest river in France, and flows through a great variety of landscapes and cultural treasures.

WOW! didnt realise it was that long!

The places I have picked out so far (roughly) for our tour are: Roscoff; Le Manns; Vendome; Blois; Amboise; Loches; Chinon; Saumer; AQngers; Puy de Feu (booked); La Roche; Guerande; Josselin; Guingamp; Roscoff.

I have 3 weeks and we love scenery; medieval towns; gardens etc. Not so keen on costly attractions!

Only one suggestion (we crossed over the Loire rather than going along it!) but if you're into gardens, try the International Garden Festival at Chaumont sur Loire, not far from Amboise. I think it's about 12€ each - we stayed on a Yelloh! Site nearby during ACSI season, but there's a riverside municipal site in the village.

The biggest danger is culture overload.

We have visited both ends and a lot in between but to say you know it all would take more than one lifetime.

The chateaus are amazing but to my mind the rents and taxes required to build and maintain them could just of upset the lower classes a tad.

lesjax - 2014-07-28 1:34 PM

WOW! didnt realise it was that long!

The places I have picked out so far (roughly) for our tour are: Roscoff; Le Manns; Vendome; Blois; Amboise; Loches; Chinon; Saumer; AQngers; Puy de Feu (booked); La Roche; Guerande; Josselin; Guingamp; Roscoff.

I have 3 weeks and we love scenery; medieval towns; gardens etc. Not so keen on costly attractions!

OK. Le Mans, Vendome, Blois, Amboise, Loches, Chinon, Saumur, and Angers, are all pleasant enough towns with historic centres. All would reward at least a day of wandering around. Blois, Amboise, Loches, Chinon, Saumur, and Angers all have chateaux in the town, and these are all different in type, style and character. I would add two to the list: Chaumont (at Chaumont-sur-Loire, between Blois and Amboise), and Chenonceau (south of Amboise, on the Cher), both of which, IMO, are pure eye-candy. None is exactly cheap to visit, but they are all special in different ways. There is an attractice little village called Troo, west of Vendome on the little Loir (which is, on the whole IMO, a more attractive river than the Loire). It contains a number of troglodytic houses that you may find intriguing. If tempted, I would avoid the chateau if Azay-le-Rideau at present as the gardens are being re-modelled, so most of the attractive exterior views are plagued by builders plant and half finished installations, and the mirror-lake is muddy and non-reflective. Shame! While near Loches, find your way to Montrésor, and have a walk along the south bank of the Indrois. Very picturesque! Villandry, just south of the Loire, and a bit west of Tours, is an interesting chateau with wonderful gardens.

We have been back to the Loire valley several times but we tend to steer clear of the bigger towns like Blois. The authorities have tightened u a lot on riverside ad hoc camping in motorhomes, so official Airesand campsites are becoming obligatory - but there is a nice choice.

There are a large number of Chateaux and we got a bit over-exposed by doing too many. The ones which are still occupied or at least furnished were more interesting to us than endless empty ones kept as public architectural museums, although some of those are rather special. Get the Michelin Green Book specifically on Chateaux of the Loire, which I found very useful.

Our favaourite Chateaux of all was Cheverney, where the family somehow survived the French Revolution and kept their home and where, in the late afternoons every day, you can witness 100 hunting hounds having their daily feed - an amazing experience. The ornamental vegetable gardens ast Villandry are unmissable too, and I'm not a gardener.

The surrounding area has attractions too - we like Le Loir, especially municipal site at Chateaudun just north of La Loire.

Archived