Truma gas regulator

bobalobs

How reliable are these and are there any better alternatives?

We have an Dometic RM4212/13 fridge which is fine on electric but very poor on gas. Last year it was found that a reduced gas pressure was coming from the regulator and so a new Truma regulator was fitted. The problem is back with the fridge at it's coldest only 12C. It all points to regulator problems as the flame on the gas hob is down as well. The underfloor gas tank is nearly full.Any thoughts? I thought the Judge had problems with faulty regulators but I cannot find the thread.

The Truma regulator ‘problem’ is summarised in this 2011 article:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/7832484/ccmseptechnical.pdf

My understanding is that Truma modified their 30mbar regulators to make them less vulnerable to damage/clogging due to ‘oily residues’ in the LPG. Truma also now market filters to prevent such contaminants reaching the regulator.

http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/its-a-gas-dave-king-explains-how-to-avoid-clogging-up-your-caravans-gas-regulator-4693/

There continue to be occasional reports of Truma regulator failures, though (as far as I’m aware) these instances have not related to regulators with a Truma filter in the gas supply-line. Generally - as long as the regulator’s installation conforms to what is now held to be best practice - Truma regulators now seem to be pretty reliable.

Received wisdom is that the Clesse-branded 30mbar regulator is immune to the type of problem that has afflicted Truma 30mbar regulators. This is widely available and marketed by Gaslow with a 5-year warranty

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/Gaslow-Products/Gaslow-300-Regulator

Potential snags with moving away from a Truma regulator to the Clesse product are

1: If the Truma gas system fitted to the motorhome allows the vehicle to be driven legally in Europe with the gas-heater operating, replacing the Truma regulator with the Clesse regulator will negate that capability.

2: If the ‘oily residues’ in the LPG are being trapped by the design of the Truma regulator, but not being trapped by the less complex Clesse regulator, it should be asked where the residues end up in the latter case. If they pass beyond the regulator and clog the gas-valves of heaters/fridges, correcting this will not be cheap.

As your motorhome has an underfloor gas-tank and your replacement Truma regulator now looks like it is about to fail, there is the possibility that what’s in your tank is the cause of the problem.

I think you've owned a Murvi Morello for a few years and (as far as I can see) the chances of contaminants building up within an LPG tank must be higher than if exchange-only LPG bottles are used as motorcaravanners are unlikely to ever clean out their LPG tanks, while companies like Calor do clean out their bottles. I’d also suggest that the chances of the type of contamination likely to affect a motorhome’s regulator will be higher for ‘autogas’ than for bottled-gas simply because of the supply/delivery logistics involved.

Thanks for two very informative replies.An inline filter may be the answer but do you know if they can be fitted externally as the regulator is fitted on the chassis rail rather than in a cupboard. Not impossible to fit regulator internally if that is the only solution.

Our Murvi is 4 years old and used for 100days+ a year so quite a lot of gas has gone through the system. Virtually all the gas has come from Shell and are they not linked to Calor so should be quality gas.

Another thought and I hope it does not come to it but how do they clean out the gas cylinder. I realise it is not a job for an amateur!!

If it was me I would just replace the regulator with a Clesse regulator. Having experienced 3 truma regulators failing about 5 years ago and fitting a Clesse I have had no further problems since.

I assume the regulator will be fixed higher than your gas tank so that any crude will not enter the regulator.

bobalobs - 2014-07-29 3:01 PM...............but do you know if they can be fitted externally as the regulator is fitted on the chassis rail rather than in a cupboard. ................

Just a thought, Robert, but have you asked Truma if they consider their regulators suitable for fitting under vehicles? I always had the impression that they were intended for installation internally, protected from water and dirt. As it is, it's in quite an aggressive, dirty, environment. Also, is it mounted high enough above the tank to correspond with Truma's general fitting recommendation that the connection should rise away from the cylinder/tank outlet to the regulator, to prevent liquid gas reaching it?

bobalobs - 2014-07-29 7:54 PM

The regulator is slightly higher than the tank but not by much due to the space available. I was told it is a similar layout to that used by Autosleeper on their panelvans but maybe others know different?

Derek posted a photo (on Tracker's " lpg tanks....Eurotunnel" thread), showing the underslung tank and reg' mounted on a A/S pvc.

Here:(half way down page 2)

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Autogas-lpg-tanks-and-Eurotunnel/34967/31/

It does look a "hostile" environment(...but I suppose if crud could get in, then that would mean that gas could be getting out) but the reg' does only appear to be level, at best, with the tank, if anything it's lower..!?

If it's feasible, I think I'd be looking at siting the reg' along with a filter, inside an onboard locker..

Archived