dometic fridge

greenken20

Bought a 2 year old Bailey Approach Motor home in March. On a recent trip to France, the previously deep frozen food stored in the freezer compartment thawed out whilst on a 5 hour driving stint. The fridge works fine on hook up or on gas but the 12 volt is useless. Its now back at the dealer being looked at under their warranty. The technician rang me today to discuss the problem and advised that the 12 volt part of the fridge won't keep food frozen. Is he fobbing me off?

What fridge? Separate freezer compartment, or just a freezer compartment inside the main fridge compartment? The former are more likely to hold frozen food frozen, but what does the manual say? I should think it should just about rate one star, meaning it should hold pre-frozen food frozen while driving. Your 5 hours stint didn't include a channel crossing, by any chance?

I think I am correct in saying Domemtic fridges for at least the last 7 or 8 years have themostatic control on the 12v side as well as on mains & gas so yes your dealer is fobbing you off, performance should not be any different than when on mains.

Edit:

One thing that would cause the problem is if the cabling to the fridge is undersize and you are getting a voltdrop. Often manufactures cut corners on things like this to save a few bob.

greenken20 - 2014-07-30 12:16 AMBought a 2 year old Bailey Approach Motor home in March. On a recent trip to France, the previously deep frozen food stored in the freezer compartment thawed out whilst on a 5 hour driving stint. The fridge works fine on hook up or on gas but the 12 volt is useless. Its now back at the dealer being looked at under their warranty. The technician rang me today to discuss the problem and advised that the 12 volt part of the fridge won't keep food frozen. Is he fobbing me off?

Recent temperatures in France have been in the 'heatwave' category and often exceed 30°C.
The only way to replicate a 2** freezer (40°C of temperature differential)is to upgrade to a compressor fridge. On Mains absolutely no problems, quiet, efficient and my Waeco even has a USB socket!
On 12V it is better to fit an additional 12V socket using heavy cable a short distance from the leisure battery to keep the voltage drop to a minimum.

My Dometic fridge keeps frozen stuff frozen. In fact it will freeze unfrozen stuff as well.It has worked all through Spain and Portugal at 35 - 40 C. It is exactly the same on 12v 230V or Gas.

My model may be different to yours but I would think it should do the same.

There is one thing, if mine is not roughly level it will not work as well, it will work but it is not cooling as well.

H

hallii - 2014-08-04 8:53 AM

My Dometic fridge keeps frozen stuff frozen. In fact it will freeze unfrozen stuff as well.It has worked all through Spain and Portugal at 35 - 40 C. It is exactly the same on 12v 230V or Gas.

My model may be different to yours but I would think it should do the same.

There is one thing, if mine is not roughly level it will not work as well, it will work but it is not cooling as well.

H

My dometic fridge which is 8 years old will also freeze from fresh, I often buy extra amounts of meat/sausage etc and freeze for later use.I sometimes have to defrost my freezer compartment, when away for long periods, even in hot climate, only use on 12v when travelling, otherwise mains or gas

PJay

Archived