Winter in Spain

Carolmonkey

We are considering going to the south of Spain for 3 months over the winter, I have lots and lots of questions. We have a motorhome and would be towing a car on an A Frame, I have heard you can get fined in Spain as it isn't legal there. Does anyone know if you are plugged into a 10 amp box can you use your heating and obviously your hot water on gas whilst everything else is on electric. I know you can't use the fridge on gas if you are plugged in.

Catching the ferry to Santander and then driving the rest of the way are there many campsites open to stay at on the way down?

What would be the best bank to use while in Spain to get at your money?

Also what istne cheapest way to use a mobile phone?

Guest pelmetman

A frame use is a lottery, and a potential nightmare if only one of you drive.................We have a low voltage electric heating which does not trip the leccy if we use the kettle, not sure why you can't use the fridge on gas when hooked up? :-S.........

We have a Spanish bottle and intend to start using more gas, as the pitch leccy prices seem to be going up each year, and gas is relatively cheap by comparison ;-).........

Re banks...........Santander don't charge for withdrawals if you have an account with them B-).............

From the various posts an A frame is not a good idea but providing there are two drivers you can take a chance but be prepared for a possible large fine. Met a few who hire a car when in Spain very cheaply.

Confused with your electrics. The questions you raise are all down to what switches you turn off/on. I would have thought you can use all your appliances, heating, hot water and fridge either on electric or gas, at least that's the normal convention. Have you tried the fridge on gas when on HU?

Sites can either charge you per kW of electricity used with some including the first 3 to4kW in the daily charge. There was a posting on a forum that depending on the rate charged it would be cheaper to run the fridge on gas.

Purchase the ACSI book which will give you a list of sites throughout Spain http://www.campingcard.co.uk/gb/en/europe/

I use the Halifax Clarity credit card. Absolutely no charges for cash withdrawls or payments, obviously you clear monthly and a good exchange rate. Use Santander or any other with no problems. Remember to inform your card company when you are out of country or card will not work.

My mobile phone is left on for text messages only and very rarely used for calls. I use Skype which needs a web connection, MacDonalds etc, and calls are very cheap.

Whatever enjoy :-D

sshortcircuit - 2014-07-30 9:29 PM

From the various posts an A frame is not a good idea but providing there are two drivers you can take a chance but be prepared for a possible large fine. Met a few who hire a car when in Spain very cheaply.

Confused with your electrics. The questions you raise are all down to what switches you turn off/on. I would have thought you can use all your appliances, heating, hot water and fridge either on electric or gas, at least that's the normal convention. Have you tried the fridge on gas when on HU?

Sites can either charge you per kW of electricity used with some including the first 3 to4kW in the daily charge. There was a posting on a forum that depending on the rate charged it would be cheaper to run the fridge on gas.

Purchase the ACSI book which will give you a list of sites throughout Spain http://www.campingcard.co.uk/gb/en/europe/

I use the Halifax Clarity credit card. Absolutely no charges for cash withdrawls or payments, obviously you clear monthly and a good exchange rate. Use Santander or any other with no problems. Remember to inform your card company when you are out of country or card will not work.

My mobile phone is left on for text messages only and very rarely used for calls. I use Skype which needs a web connection, MacDonalds etc, and calls are very cheap.

Whatever enjoy :-D

Not quite true on the Halifax Clarity card, we have one and there is an interest charge for cash withdrawals, from the date of withdrawal to the date of the statement, however this is not significant if cleared monthly. Santander Zero is another one as is Nationwide Cash Reward Visa and Norwich & Peterborough BS have a "free" a/c

"Not quite true on the Halifax Clarity card, we have one and there is an interest charge for cash withdrawals, from the date of withdrawal to the date of the statement, however this is not significant if cleared monthly. Santander Zero is another one as is Nationwide Cash Reward Visa and Norwich & Peterborough BS have a "free" "

I have not been charged any fees, however I load card so its always in credit which may be the reason.

I did have a Nationwide card at one time and although good rates there was a charge for cash so it looks as though that has changed.

Guest Had Enough
artheytrate - 2014-07-30 9:51 PM

We use toggle for our phone, 3p per min, no charge when some one phones you, and no contract pay as you go. When you put credit on they give you 10% extra.

Google toggle mobile.

John.

Thanks, that's very interesting. The only drawback that I can see is that you need a new sim which will presumably mean a new number, so no one back home can phone you as they won't know your number. Admittedly you can tell one or two people your new temporary number but it's hard to tell everyone.

Or can you get a sim card that can be used at home and abroad and port your existing number?

Ps Ignore the last question! I've read the small print and it seems that you can. You need an unlocked phone of course. When my contract is up I shall be looking at Toggle very closely.

There are lots of good free Aires in Spain now and you can find them in the Vicarious book Aires for Spain and Portugal,try Vitoria Gastiez, Palencia. Zaffra to mention a few.You can use your fridge on gas when hooked up water heating and blown air too if you want too,but if paying for electric why would you want to,some hook ups only offer 4 or 6 amps so then you would probably need to use gas as well, but if you have ten amp hook up then use it to the full,you may need to turn something of (kettle)  for instance if you want to ping something in the microwave for instance but just workout your wattage draw as you go.My 02 phone on roaming costs me 50p to make a call and recieve a call,minutes used up to an hour come out of my free minutes bundle so that is cheap enough,I use a Bank

of Scotland credit card for all purchases when in Europe,free to use great exchange rate always, and the bill is paid off in full monthly by my bank D.D  so no interest charges are added,just take some Euros with you so you dont have to use the hole in the wall for cash as there is a charge for that,but even that is cheap enough so no worries,have fun.

One of the big expenses when I'm away turn out to be the diesel I use, but we are moving most of the time. When you are wintering in Spain do you find somewhere tolerable and then stay put most of the time?

And apart from the warmer weather, an obvious advantage of Spain, with the struggle to get British TV now that footprints have shrunk, as well as the circumscribed lifestyle of an Aire or cheap campsite, does it not get a bit boring compared with being at home by the fireside, with slippers and as much TV as you like?

Guest Had Enough
StuartO - 2014-08-05 2:58 PM

One of the big expenses when I'm away turn out to be the diesel I use, but we are moving most of the time. When you are wintering in Spain do you find somewhere tolerable and then stay put most of the time?

And apart from the warmer weather, an obvious advantage of Spain, with the struggle to get British TV now that footprints have shrunk, as well as the circumscribed lifestyle of an Aire or cheap campsite, does it not get a bit boring compared with being at home by the fireside, with slippers and as much TV as you like?

There's always the bingo and the 'British Pub' serving Watney's Red Barrel. Every Wednesday is full English breakfast, which is very exciting.

Some of them form little groups and play dominoes and stuff but I 'd find that a bit too exciting.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2014-08-05 2:58 PM

Judging by the number of people from all over Europe who fly South there must be a something to attract them............and us B-).............

Can't say lack of Brit tv is a concern, as there's a few local channels that have English speaking programs ;-)..........

Besides we find the heating allowance goes further :D...............and the 3 months seem to fly by :-S..........

The last thing I want when in Spain or Portugal or anywhere else when on our travels is TV,or newspapers for that matter,bored,you must be joking,how can you get board with so much to see and do whilst traveling,we wild camp and Aires mostly,moving every few days to pastures new,we have stayed long term on campsites but even then we took the van out daily and explored the area, Spanish campsites become cheaper the longer you stay but you then have to put up with the petty rules the long term Brits have created and listen to all the whinging,each to their own but I know what we prefer.

• 3 weeks later...

With regards to your question on banking while in Spain the way I have managed this for many years is as follows but there are variations to this:

I use a post office credit card for as much as I can with it set up for automatic 100% repayment each month. I used it in August to make a deposit and the exchange rate was 79p/ euro with no other charges. For cash I use the caxton FX card. I can transfer cash from my account to the card instantly then walk up to an ATM and withdraw it without any fees. The exchange rate is always better than any high street rate.

This way I carry very little cash when I don't need it.

vindiboy - 2014-08-05 5:39 PM

The last thing I want when in Spain or Portugal or anywhere else when on our travels is TV,or newspapers for that matter,bored,you must be joking,how can you get board with so much to see and do whilst traveling,we wild camp and Aires mostly,moving every few days to pastures new,we have stayed long term on campsites but even then we took the van out daily and explored the area, Spanish campsites become cheaper the longer you stay but you then have to put up with the petty rules the long term Brits have created and listen to all the whinging,each to their own but I know what we prefer.

Wise words mate

Occasionally it does rain and it certainly gets dark at night which curtails the sight seeing. TV can provide some relaxation when you are closeted and can't get out, but as said, everybody has a choice.

Guest JudgeMental

I certainly like to stay in touch on news..Easily done now on smart phone/tablets. have a good app that allows you to read most UK papers for free + kindles we are happy

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.barisefe.uknewspapers&hl=en

Not bothered regards TV. A shame UK radio that was once world wide now extremely poor in Europe

Wise words mate! Staying at one location for long periods to make the fees cheaper is ok for some but would drive me nuts.... I'm going now :-D

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2014-08-25 10:55 AM

I take a stack of DVD's and catch up on all the classic films I have missed, or watch them again.

Anything important I might miss I record, but in there is really nothing much worth watching.

I dunno some of those Yank reality programs are riveting ;-)..............have you seen the one about alligator fishermen :D............

Archived