Electric switch board

harryb1966

Hi guys

Can someone please explain the electric switch board that is fitted to my Auto-Sleeper Ravenna. I can work out the main switches for lights, pumps etc but what is the centre bottom switch for. It says HAB at the top OFF in the middle and VEHICLE at the bottom. Not sure what I'm to do with this when I driving, stationary etc.

IMG_20140803_124454059.png.4871f70c3f822cdbc53d252338a9403f.png

harryb1966 - 2014-08-03 1:47 PM

Hi guys

Can someone please explain the electric switch board that is fitted to my Auto-Sleeper Ravenna. I can work out the main switches for lights, pumps etc but what is the centre bottom switch for. It says HAB at the top OFF in the middle and VEHICLE at the bottom. Not sure what I'm to do with this when I driving, stationary etc.

Not familiar with your vehicle or the control board but the switch you refer to appears to select the battery being used/charged whilst parked up-

HAB = Habitation battery selected

OFF = neither battery selected

VEHICLE = vehicle battery selected

However suggest you contact Auto Sleeper

Hi, I would guess from the labelling, it enable you to change the van electrics over from the habitation battery to the vehicle battery.(.alternatively it might simply route the on board charger from habitation battery to vehicle battery .)

in the off position, do you have any 12 volt equipment live in the van, lights for example. If so select habitation position and turn on board charger on and off and see if there is a change of brightness...

tonyg3nwl

Harry

I note that your Ravenna is 2003-vintage when Auto-Sleepers would have been building that model on both Ford Transit and Peugeot Boxer chassis. The manufacturer of the chassis should not matter in this instance but, if you have future questiions, it might be worth you saying now whether your Ravenna is based on a Ford or Peugeot.

As you’ll see from the 2008 forum discussion Brambles provided a link to, the purpose of the control-panel switch you refer to was confusing for many Auto-Sleepers owners. (This confusion is even more obvious from comments made on the Auto-Sleeper Owners Forum.)

It’s likely that the assumptions made above are correct - that, when the motorhome is connected to a 240volt electrical hook-up (EHU) and the vehicle’s onboard battery-charger is operating, the switch allows the battery-charger’s output to be directed towards either the ‘starter battery’ (Switch position = VEHICLE) or the ‘habitation battery’ (Switch position = HAB).

However (as also been suggested) the switch may also control which battery can be used to power the living-area electrics (reading lights, water-pump, etc.) when the motorhome is not connected to a 240v EHU.

The best thing you can now do is invest in an inexpensive digital multimeter. These are widely available and I’ve provided the following link purely as an example

http://www.theunderfloorheatingstore.com/digital-multimeter-319-p.asp?gclid=CITgpd-D-b8CFfOhtAodHSMAYg

This piece of electrical equipment will allow you to test many things (not just in a motorhome) and every right-thinking motorcaravanner should have one.

By checking the voltage at the terminals of each of the batteries, the multimeter will allow you to confirm

1: That your motorhome’s starter (ie. ‘vehicle’) battery and leisure (ie. ‘habitation’) battery are both being charged when the vehicle’s motor is running.

2: What effect the control-panel switch has when the motorhome is connected to an EHU.

3: What effect the control-panel switch has when the motorhome is not connected to an EHU.

As this is your first motorhome, I’m also going to suggest you invest in this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcaravan-Manual-Choosing-Using-Maintaining/dp/0857331248/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Archived