Duvalay toppers

PJay

I am thinking of getting one, and wondered if the users of such can help me.

What is the difference between the gold and the silver ? Thinking I would get the 5cm one. Do you get hot using one (no rude comments please) I have a normal topper at moment and find that I do get hot and sticky sleeping on it.

Before I spend a lot of money on one , pros and cons please.

PJay

We've got the gold one's and reckon It's been some of the best money we've spent, they're extremely comfortable and when it get's hot I do the same as I would with our old sleepers, just throw the top cover back.

I would say go for it, you won't regret it.

Do be aware that if you need to roll up and store by day they are very bulky.

The thickness of memory foam needed depends largely on the hardness of the beds or seats that you sleep on and your own personal preference for a hard or soft bed.

But they are good to sleep on and in!

We've had Duvalay toppers for 10 years now, bought the 50mm Gold quality. Not cheap but worth every penny. We converted the double bed size into two singles and my wife made kitbag style storage bags with material to match the van decor. They make excellent bolsters for lounging.

We have had 2 x 'Duvalays' from when the company were called 'Rakself', with 2 sets of covers, think that the memory foam is 'Gold' grade ? anyway they are great, able to wash the covers while we are away, nice to have fresh bedding, instead of sleeping bags that cost a fortune to get washed, then take ages to dry. Ray

Thanks for replies guys.

No one commented on the "are they hot " to sleep on, maybe need a female comment??

Ask your Other halves (if Female) for there view maybe

Not worried about bulkiness as would go in the luton for storage

PJay

I am not sure if your question relates only to the mattress toppers or to the benefits of the whole duvalay i.e. combined duvet and memory-foam mattress in a sleeping bag type product. We use duvalays (two singles) in our campervan. For reasons of ease of storage (less bulk) and cost we opted for the 2.5cm mattress and the 4.5cm duvet. We can substitute a warmer duvet from home for winter use. The 2.5 is perfectly adequate to deal with any corrugations in our bed/cushion albeit it is a single piece and might be different if there are any joins. We do not find this product (which according to the Duvalay website contains their "gold" quality foam) to be too hot and we have used it in a variety of conditions from 30C+ down to -5C. The specification of the "gold" foam is set out in the "home" section on the Duvalay website.

http://www.duvalay.co.uk/Home/Home-Memory-Foam-Toppers/Single-Bed-Topper

We can recommend the Duvalay for comfort and ease of use. We can deploy it in literally 30 seconds so it is almost as good as having a fixed bed.

Duvalay sometimes have "offers" at the end of the season if you are not in a hurry.

Finally this topic has been on the forum before so worth doing a search.

HymerVan - 2014-08-04 8:05 AM

I am not sure if your question relates only to the mattress toppers or to the benefits of the whole duvalay i.e. combined duvet and memory-foam mattress in a sleeping bag type product. We use duvalays (two singles) in our campervan. For reasons of ease of storage (less bulk) and cost we opted for the 2.5cm mattress and the 4.5cm duvet. We can substitute a warmer duvet from home for winter use. The 2.5 is perfectly adequate to deal with any corrugations in our bed/cushion albeit it is a single piece and might be different if there are any joins. We do not find this product (which according to the Duvalay website contains their "gold" quality foam) to be too hot and we have used it in a variety of conditions from 30C+ down to -5C. The specification of the "gold" foam is set out in the "home" section on the Duvalay website.

http://www.duvalay.co.uk/Home/Home-Memory-Foam-Toppers/Single-Bed-Topper

We can recommend the Duvalay for comfort and ease of use. We can deploy it in literally 30 seconds so it is almost as good as having a fixed bed.

Duvalay sometimes have "offers" at the end of the season if you are not in a hurry.

Finally this topic has been on the forum before so worth doing a search.

Thank you

I only want the mattress topper , NOT the sleeping bag set up. Just for putting on top of the dinette area when made into a large single bed, don't need duvet , got loads of spare ones, and also have thick and thin sleeping bags, which I personally use as a duvet, (can't sleep in a bag!) again too hot for me.

I have looked up the web site , and will keep an eye out for any sales, I may contact them

Again thanks for your replies, always helps to have first hand knowledge , of a product. In this case all very poitive

PJay

If you only want the topper I can thoroughly recommend this firm.

They are competitive, knowledgeable, helpful, reliable and with good quality products.

http://www.memoryfoamwarehouse.co.uk/?gclid=CJnlkqiU-b8CFSgFwwodn6UAww

We bought a 2.5 cm king size topper which we cut in half to fit inside the Raskelf foam covers that formerly held 5.0 cm memory foam and they are just as comfortable but now roll up much smaller and easier to stow under the bed leaving room for extra and spare bedding etc.

Another advantage is that the thinner foam does not seem quite so hot on warm nights but is still fine on cold nights.

But as I said earlier, it does depend on how hard your bed is and how soft you like it?

Yes they can get a bit hot which can present a small problem in the summer but fabulous in the winter. However they are very comfortable. We've got the gold topper and worth every penny. So good we even got one for the bed at home.

Jasper

For some reason i think the duvalay system works really well we bought two singles ,they kept us toasty thru the winter ,and have used them for guests and when visiting friends, great to roll up andput away also easy to wash and keep fresh ,have used duvets ,and sleeping bags but nothing is as good as a duvalay ,hubbie had heart tremors when we bought them but now thinks their well worth the dosh and no the raskelf duvalays dont get to hot pp:)

We have a Vantage Neo rear lounge van that can be used as two singles or a large double so we bought two 2.5cm thick single Duvalay toppers which we use with two single duvets. We have a 5cm thick memory foam topper on our bed at home which is wonderfully soft and luxurious and the 2.5cm Duvalay is clearly never going to be as good but it is perfectly adequate in a van and provides a very good nights sleep (

I suffer from arthritis in the hip and have no issues with comfort). The 2.5cm toppers must be less bulky than a 4cm version and are a good compromise of comfort and storage space. I was concerned about having enough space in the under seat locker for all of the bedding including two toppers but this has turned out not to be an issue as the toppers are squashy and can be pushed down into place. We have not found any problems with being too hot and that included some nights in France where it had been over 30 during the day. We bought fitted zipped sheets for our toppers so that making up the beds simply means unrolling the topper complete with its sheet and throwing on the duvet. Of all of the things that we have bought for our new, and first, van, (and we have bought just about every bit of kit known to man as our payload will testify!) it is the Duvalays that are our number 1 favourite, must have purchase. Do not hesitate get some now.

Thank you for your replies.

Thanks to Richard (Tracker) I have ordered new foam from the supplier he gave details of.

I felt that the Duvalay where a bit expensive for my needs, and would not be any better than a new foam, as we have plenty of duvets and sleeping bags of various thickness, and don't; use the van in winter anyway. I can make covers out of sheets/spare duvet covers, as I have done with my current foam overlay. Storage is not a problem, as the Luton cab takes all the bedding (plus a lot more !!)

So once again the forum has come up trumps, with good advice and sugestions

PJay

Hi there Tracker, and anyone else with a twin bunk VW camper. I'm very tempted to get a 2.5cm memory foam topper. I will have to use Amazon France, Memory Foam Warehouse would charge too much to deliver to France.

Can you confirm that I would get a MF topper (cut down to fit the bunk size) rolled up, a single duvet, some spare duvet covers and a couple of pillows into the under bed/seat stowage compartment of our Nexa? That bunk is way too firm for me.

Sorry Vicki ours is not a VW so can't help with locker sizes.

However our Warwick Duo bed locker is 74" long x 15" wide x 12" high and in it we easily get two rolled up Duvalays, two memory foam pillows, two sets spare Duvalay covers, two spare pillowcases, two blankets just in case, spare bath,hand and tea towels and spare PJs too and we can still squeeze in odds and ends when needed!

It was much more of a struggle to get the thicker 5 cm foam Duvalay through the locker entrance but they did go in and were a pain to get out again!

No discernable loss of comfort by switching to 2.5 foam and they fit inside the original Duvalay covers OK.

Trying to fit bare memory foam into the Duvalay covers is more of a Krypton factor exercise though - especially in the confines of the van!

The gap to squeeze through at the top of the locker is only about 13" wide so they do need a shove and this is why the thinner ones are so much easier to get out after a heavy day of loafing about!

The Duvalay design does leave your feet with not much cover so i use a small blanket just to cover my feet - which also goes under the locker!

Hope that helps?

PS Like the new photo!!

Sorry Rich, didn't mean to put you on the spot - my mistake!

I will hope for a reply from Alan, or anyone else with a similar van. If I decide to get the topper I will get a double and cut it down to two 24" singles, then make a couple of sets of covers for each bunk.

Glad you like the photo - the previous one was taken in 2006, so the Trade Descriptions Act may have claimed that I don't look like that any more...

Thanks for your help.

Hi Vicky

My memory foam came yesterday. I got the 5cm thick one. Have to say it is thick and not very bendy, but as we have an over cab bed which we use as storage not too much of a problem . The foam warehouse as recommended by Rich were very good. Is it a lot more expensive in France ?

We are coming over end of the month, and will be in Brittany on our way .If it helps I could arrange to bring some over with us (PM me if interested.) Not sure where you are, but know the area pretty well, as several friends there , and as we are twinned with Vannes, have also sailed there a couple of times.

NOw going to make some new covers for the foam. I use a kingsize duvet cover cut in half, just the right size for two singles.

PJay

Hi Pauline

Many thanks for the kind offer of bringing a topper over for us - there are times when I do SO love this forum, most contributors are so very helpful and generous. However - your posting came up about 30 minutes after I had 'Cliquez ici' to send the order to Amazon France.

Hmmm, yes, so many things are much more expensive over here, anything that could be considered luxury, or even 'non-essential' e.g. motoring and leisure, pets, gardens etc, are quite pricey. The foam warehouse offers different grades of MF at very good prices, but they quote £100 delivery to France! The best deal I could find on Amazon Fr. was 80 euros for a double size 2.5 cm. deep memory foam plus 10 euros delivery, so that was what I ordered.

I will be doing roughly what you describe, cutting it in half and making covers for them. I guess the 2.5 won't be as good as the 5 cm. but it's a compromise as we have to be able to squash them (and a lot of other stuff) into the little storage spaces under the seats.

I will send you a PM next.

Archived