propane versus butane gas

colleen

Colleen when did this problem occur? If it was during a spell of cold weather he may have been right but if it has been during the summer to date I think he is talking a lot of cr*p. The Dometic frdges are designed to run on either butane or propane. There are several situations but for more help can you please give us some more information as to your problem, model of fridge and when it occurred. Docted

Colleen Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've not been on the forum for a couple of days. Factual stuff first. Level does not affect the operation of the gas burners, people have been known to drive with the fridge on gas and only find out on arrival that it was stil on. I plead guilty to this oversight. I have even parked on car parks and overnight with a substantial degree of slope as we don't do level anymore (it takes away all the fun of rolling into your wife overnight)the fridge always stays lit. I would ignore this comment on those grounds. More facts Butane gas liquifies at a lower temperature than propane i.e. it does not stay in a gaseous state but like steam at 99 C it turns back to its liquid form. This means that if you are camping outwith summer months ( June July August) the fridge will probably go out overnight and may even do so in June as well if temperatures drop very low overnight. In the past when I used Camping Gaz , butane, I found that if it was at all cool overnight I had to relight the fridge in the morning. I would therefore tend to agree with the dealer that a switch to propane would be benficial but if they supllied the butane in the first placxe I would make sure that they paid any costs associated with the changeover. Fortunately the new type of rgulator should be fitted to your van so these costs will be minimal. I think this is just another example of dealers not understanding the product as used by their customers and causing confusion. A strongly worded letter expressing your concerns to the dealers concerned should not cause you any inconvenience in the future and if it does do you want to stay a customer of this dealer? Good luck and happy camping Docted. ps Glad to read you wave as you go

Propane boils/gasses at a much lower temp than butane thats why propane is the prefured fuel in domestic heating instalations. Even though butane has a slightly higher calorific value, so if the weather is cold butane can be a problem. I would advise useing propane, gas for cars is always propane

Archived