Silver blinds inside or outside

Abcheetham

Guest Had Enough

Outside every time. My 'van has fancy built-in blinds but we still prefer our external screens. We use them in summer and winter as they keep out the light at night and offer shade in the day, and we never get condensation on the windows.

We have Taylormade screens but others speak favourably of Silver Screens. What I like about mine is that they're in three parts, each door and the windscreen. This makes them very easy to put on for one person and the centre section can be rolled down halfway during the day to let in light.

If I don't use them in winter it takes longer to mop up the condensation and clean the windows than it does to put the screens on. Which is why I use them all the time!

http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

If you use the forum search facility you will see there are many threads on the subject, search "silver screens".

External ones are the ones to go for, best for winter use virtually eliminate condensation on the screen.

Taylormade are slightly cheaper than Silver Screens but Silver Screens are less bulky.

As you have a Hymer coincided Hymer's own ones that's what we brought for our van, cheaper and much better quality than aftermarket ones.

You don't say what van you have but from Robinhood's post he thinks you have an A Class (I assume an Exsis if on a Ford base).

If it is an A Class don't bother with aftermarket screens get the genuine Hymer ones they will be cheaper and fit better they come with channels ( a bit like an awning rail) which is fitted along the top and down the back of the drivers door & passenger window which the screen slides into.

Lots of reports on the web on Silver Screens & Tayloymade leaking water into the cab in heavy rain due to the way they fit on A class vans.

For my Fiat based Exsis I paid €300 after discount, about £250, After market ones are over £300.

lennyhb - 2014-08-05 10:10 PM

You don't say what van you have but from Robinhood's post he thinks you have an A Class (I assume an Exsis if on a Ford base).

Exsis I 522, I think :-D

...never had any issues with my Silver Screens with the above attachment method on my Rapido A Class.

External screen get my vote every time, but because I do a mix of Aires and the occasional wild spot I carry a set of internal blinds as well to ensure that I can move off without too much delay and fuss.

pkc - 2014-08-06 9:09 AM

External screen get my vote every time, but because I do a mix of Aires and the occasional wild spot I carry a set of internal blinds as well to ensure that I can move off without too much delay and fuss.

Can I ask how many times you have had to "...move off without too much delay and fuss..."? Just curious.

pkc - 2014-08-06 9:09 AM

Can I ask how many times you have had to "...move off without too much delay and fuss..."? Just curious.

Fair question, only a couple of times actually, once when the quiet spot became a race track for local youths, and again when in France when it became obvious that the Aire had some very dubious looking guys roaming around the place.

Also I may add that if you arrive at your night stop when it is pouring down it is much better to be able to put up the internal screens without getting wet and not trying to wrestle and store the wet screen in the mornings before moving on.

Belts and braces I admit, but then I have carried a fire extinguisher for years 'just in case'

Fair question, only a couple of times actually, once when the quiet spot became a race track for local youths, and again when in France when it became obvious that the Aire had some very dubious looking guys roaming around the place.

Also I may add that if you arrive at your night stop when it is pouring down it is much better to be able to put up the internal screens without getting wet and not trying to wrestle and store the wet screen in the mornings before moving on.

Belts and braces I admit, but then I have carried a fire extinguisher for years 'just in case'

Whoops! Sorry about that, two of everything that's me.

Simple just go for the Silver Screens. We also have a inside screen on our Auto Trail Tracker and we do us them like now parked up at home but most of the year outside of the summer months we use the sliver screens. As been posted on this site the time spent mopping up takes a lot longer than taking the outside screens down. We have the ones with the centre part that can be folded down so if you need the light or the view in the day time seconds to lower and again this takes seconds to re attach, in fact we only lower the center most of the way and never totally remove. One of the best MH acc's we have if not the best, keeps us snug in the winter driving to from Spain in December & January.

Zydeco Joe - 2014-08-06 2:35 PM

Simple just go for the Silver Screens. We also have a inside screen on our Auto Trail Tracker and we do us them like now parked up at home but most of the year outside of the summer months we use the sliver screens. As been posted on this site the time spent mopping up takes a lot longer than taking the outside screens down. We have the ones with the centre part that can be folded down so if you need the light or the view in the day time seconds to lower and again this takes seconds to re attach, in fact we only lower the center most of the way and never totally remove. One of the best MH acc's we have if not the best, keeps us snug in the winter driving to from Spain in December & January.

You DRIVE with the screens on??

How do you see through the wing mirrors?

And what happens when it rains?

PJay

Archived