Black mould on Dometic 'fridge ice box seal

Harvey

I have a Dometic 'fridge which has a large 'ice box' inside it ( not a separate freezer.) The seal on the ice box lid has some sort of black mould built up in places. The mould is hard and does not rub off easily, or at all.The ice box does not now seal and ices up around the edge.

Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to clean off this mould? I know there are all sorts of cleaning things which *may* work but 1) I do not want to damage the seal and 2) Being in a food compartment I do not want to contaminate it. So someones actual experinece would be good.

It seems that a new seal is not available but a new ice box door is ........... at over £50.

Harvey

Have you tried to clean it off? I would try a good washing up liquid, and a gentle rub with one of the green gentle scourers . It may because the lid does not fit properly that it did get mouldy, and not the other way round.

PJay

If the seal has any silicon in it, it will be almost impossible to completely remove the mould, mould tends to migrate into silicon.

If you can remove the lid complete with seal, I would soak it in dilute bleach then thoroughly wash afterwards.

To prevent it happening again wedge the ice box door slightly open when the fridge is not running to allow air circulation.

£50 seems a steep price for a replacement lid, just a bit of moulded plastic and a seal, but you don't know how much you are worth to £50 and you could spend a big frustrating slice of your life failing to get the old one clean.

Think about buying a new one!

Black mold grows when a dark airless place is left wet !! when we come home I clean out the fridge and dry it thoroughly leaving kitchen towel in the ice box on the bottom shel and leave the door open slightly.

You could try bicarbonate of soda made to a paste spread on and leave over night before washing off.

I dont understand it being proud of the surface though and stopping the door from closing properly it usually just stains and looks unsightly. Have you tried gently scraping with a razor blade??

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the cleaning suggestions. I have tried non of them yet but have used 'bathroom mould removal spray'. This seems to have removed the 'lumps' but left staining, as the instructions suggest that it will, but hopefully has 'killed' the mould.

Not yet had the 'fridge running so do not yet know if it has cured the icing. Will see on next trip.

Thanks,

Harvey

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2014-08-12 8:20 PM

Black mold grows when a dark airless place is left wet !! when we come home I clean out the fridge and dry it thoroughly leaving kitchen towel in the ice box on the bottom shel and leave the door open slightly.

You could try bicarbonate of soda made to a paste spread on and leave over night before washing off.

was just going to post same info....We always wedge door open when we return from a trip. Always thought you should not use detergent cleaners but bicarb on a fridge interior.

JudgeMental - 2014-08-21 5:49 PM

was just going to post same info....We always wedge door open when we return from a trip. Always thought you should not use detergent cleaners but bicarb on a fridge interior.

Bicarb was the tip I was given when we bought our first fridge many moons ago ;-) 52yrs !! anything else can taint the food.

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2014-08-21 6:08 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-08-21 5:49 PM

Bicarb was the tip I was given when we bought our first fridge many moons ago ;-) 52yrs !! anything else can taint the food.

cleaver girl :-D

Archived