AL-Ko chassis

Guest Alan

I read somewhere recently that the Al-Ko chassis has a couple of grease nipples.Can anyone describe exactly where they are please? My concern is that they would not be part of a mechanical service and could easily be overlooked at a habitation service. Many thanks

Guest Alan W
Yes I also read that and checked the Al-Ko website after emailing them for a recommended grease. My Al-Ko manual is in German but if you search the UK site there is an english pdf file. Basically the nipples are just inboard of the wheels, facing downwards. The manual says to grease every year or every 20,000km, with 5-7 strokes or until resistance is felt. The only uk grease mentioned in the manual is Shell Retinax LM which I couldn't source locally but I did get Castrol LMX which has a similar spec. - an enhanced performance lithium based grease. Probably most good lithium greases will do. Alan

Guest Alan W
I forgot to mention that the wheels must be jacked up so that they are not carrying any weight when the greasing is being done. Alan

Guest Derek Uzzell
Al-Ko chassis servicing is covered in John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" (the best £15 a motorcaravanner will ever spend). Essentially, Alan W's advice is repeated, though it's also mentioned that the grease-nipples may be either on the forward-facing side of the axle or the underside. A 'hand gun' is said to be inadequate for pumping in the grease, so DIY greasing may be impractical. I think I recall JW saying he'd seen a conversion where the Al-Ko grease-nipples had been masked by water-tanks - nice!

Guest Myles
We had a Swift Kontiki 640, for six years. I contacted ALKO for service details, they were happy to give full advice. The grease nipples are facing down on the "axle", a few inches in from the wheels. I found that I could manage with a hand grease gun, but mine is heavy duty. Only small amounts of grease actually used. We found the ALKO a really good ride, very stable and great to have the low floor level.

Guest Steve Stoneham
Hi Alan You can get an english handbook on the AL-KO chassis by emailing Alan Sanders. email: mail@al-ko.co.uk the air suspension system does not require greesing if you have this system. steve

Archived