First purchase of a motorhome

VELORAPTOR

I am looking to purchase my first motorhome, and I am finding many problems that other owners are having with there motorhomes, like damp from underneath the floor for example.

I am finding it a bit of a minefield and its begining to put me off getting a motorhome, like one of your threads the other day, problem finding a fitth gear for a Fiat 2.8, what is going on these vehicles are not that old. I know what type I am looking for, Elddis 140, Swift airstream 600, or a Transit Lunar pinnacle RL.,

Any thoughts on these would be appreciated..

Guest pelmetman

Welcome to the asylum ;-)......................Sounds like your looking for the holy grail of campers :D............

Here's a tip ;-)............look for an older camper in good condition, ideally one owner or with minimal number of owners, as that would indicate to me a van that has few problems B-)........

Vans get changed for numerous reasons, but often its because they've bought a pup *-).............

VELORAPTOR - 2014-08-15 12:06 AM

I am looking to purchase my first motorhome, and I am finding many problems that other owners are having with there motorhomes, like damp from underneath the floor for example.

I am finding it a bit of a minefield and its begining to put me off getting a motorhome, like one of your threads the other day, problem finding a fitth gear for a Fiat 2.8, what is going on these vehicles are not that old. I know what type I am looking for, Elddis 140, Swift airstream 600, or a Transit Lunar pinnacle RL.,

Any thoughts on these would be appreciated..

You are looking at vans from manufacturers that have a history of damp problems with their vans, try looking at German built vans you will get much better results.

We bought a Transit based French motorhome last year.

So far so good.

They seem to be better value than the britsh ones also, but the kitchens are less comprehensive and the door is on the otherside. Also no rear lounge that "us brits love"

There are other options, to Fiats as you mention the Transit based van.

If you get a habitaion check completed they should have a damp meter and check for damp within the motorhome body.

If you look on the forums for any vehicle, you will generally come across the problems that owners have. Not many people post to say how great their vehicle is and how many miles they have had of trouble free motoring.

I guess people are concerned about tempting fate

Good luck finding your choice of van

I'm in a similar position. It's such a lot of money: I like the v-line 620 and they're £50,000! So I thought a trigano tribute but then read that they are really poor quality :-( The second hand ones are almost as expensive too.

I look forward to any advice posted as well.

And do bear in mind that you only ever hear from owners with problems and never from those that never have any problems, or easy to solve minor issues, assuming there are any such lucky owners?

If buying UK made Autosleepers are among the best and the older the better - within reason.

Pre Swift ownership Autocruise are god too.

Neverthelee buy yourself an inexpensive damp meter from Amazon and do your own checks, preferably during a wet spell on

a van parked outdoors.

Thanks for the good advice from all.

I have found that getting any information on the constuction of these motorhomes is very limited when surfing the net.

Even manufactures description is very basic, ok if you need to know about layouts and kitchen appliances etc.

I do like the look of the Autosleeper Nuevo as has been said by a reply, and think that is what I will be doing more research on.

A chap down the road from me has a 1992 VW Autosleeper, its a bit old for me but its in fantastic condition.

German Hymer intrerested in those as well .

Thanks for the replies .

Welcome to the forum, Bob.

Something like 70% of motorhomes are built on the Fiat Ducato so the problems encountered by a few need to be taken in context. I had a 2.8 Fiat for 8 years and it never put a foot wrong. Check the normal things like service history and that any recalls have been resolved.

If you haven't already done so, start from here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Articles/Handy-guides/Advice-on-buying-a-motorhome/_ch1_ft1105_pg1

Then proceed step by step. Most importantly, be very clear in what you want. For example, I wanted a good quality motorhome less than 6.5m length, with two beds, that was less likely to leak, suitable for UK and continental touring primarily on sites but adequate for occasional wild camping, from a trussed dealer within 2 hours drive, and was within my budget of £X,000 etc. I've always chosen potential dealers I'd trust before considering the different makes and models of vans simply because a good dealer makes all the difference. You might prefer to buy privately.

For British vans, also look at Auto Sleeper and Autocruise [pre Swift days}- more expensive than the three you mention but that's because they hold their value.

Next time you post, let us know your location, what you want to do in your motorhome, and if you are willing - your budget. Motorhomers are friendly and helpful.

Lincoln Show is on 26-28 September 2014 and the Malvern Show finishes tomorrow {Sunday}.

There are a few Hymer zealots on this site [good chaps] and you are likely to get a sound but pricey van from that stable. Have a look at Hambilton Engineering in Preston for example

http://www.friendlyhippo.co.uk/hymerdirect/forsale.html

I have a micro van which I love (£30 tax and 50mpg!) but if I'm to over-winter in it, I'm going to need a shower and insulation.

I THINK I want:

Transverse rear bed (preferably fixed but seating left made up might do)

Second battery space plus 100 watt solar panel

Shower/insulation/heating/blinds etc (none of which I have right now)

Compressor fridge

Less than 6m long, preferably panel van conversion

Possibility to use front as a mini lounge rather than rear if seats are left made up

Shortlist (and downsides)

Autotrail v line 620 (very expensive)

Trigano tribute 699 or 670 (very bad reviews)

Second hand Autosleepers Stratford (very swirly and yellow inside)

European models such as rapido (limited cooking facilities)

The autotrail has the layout I want and already has most of what I'd want fitted as standard - is that why it's so expensive?? The tribute comes with nothing but at a starting price that would let me buy awnings etc on top - but my fixing up skills are limited to bluetac and gaffer tape... I've tried to do the Newark showrooms regularly to get an idea of what's available but of course I have only seen a tiny selection. I'm also a bit rubbish at haggling.

The hymer cars look amazing Brock but I just haven't the dosh!

The AutoTrail has a very impractical,or to put it another way crap, fridge and no provision for fitting a microwave. The garage that should be a prime feature as been compromised by fitting a pointless double floor that reduces the hight and taking up half the available space with a gas bottle locker instead of fitting and underslung gas tank as most rivals now do. They are aware of,these defects so I would not be at all surprised to see them rectified at the October NEC. Given the said show is not far off my advice would be to hang on till then and then go and have a good look round at what is available. With regarada to British manufacturers in my humble opinion AutoTrail and Auto Sleeper are the ones to go for as both have a good reputation for build quality and customer service. Sales of motorhomes are not great at the moment so look for a good discount and you,may have success in obtaining minor specification changes.

karen-s - 2014-08-16 9:53 PM...........................

I THINK I want:

1 Transverse rear bed (preferably fixed but seating left made up might do)

2 Second battery space plus 100 watt solar panel

3 Shower/insulation/heating/blinds etc (none of which I have right now)

4 Compressor fridge

5 Less than 6m long, preferably panel van conversion

6 Possibility to use front as a mini lounge rather than rear if seats are left made up

My take on the above. :-)

1 Lots to choose from, all based on Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer, and a few on Citroen Jumper. (These are all basically the same van, made in the same factory: the main difference is that in some versions Fiat use their own engines transmissions while Peugeot-Citroen use theirs).

2 Only really of use if you intend spending much more than 24 hours without mains connection, or if you can't plug in your van at home.

3 Most, if not all, will come with this in some form.

4 But why? They tend to a) make noise and b) make huge demands on battery capacity. Nearly all vans will have gas cooking and heating/water heating (which will be by far the largest consumer if using in cold weather), so will in any case have gas tanks/cylinders. Gas is the cheapest source of portable energy, especially when the total energy packed into one cylinder is taken into account. Three way fridges generally run better on gas than any of their other energy sources, and use little gas while doing so. I'd say leave the battery to run the heater/water heater controls and lighting (frequently LED these days so minimal consumption) and use gas for the fridge, cooking, and to provide heat/hot water. Just look for vans with a reasonable sized gas locker capable of taking two cylinders, or with a fitted underslung tank.

5 Personal choice, but no shortage of suitable vehicles.

6 Ditto. There are many vans with this feature.

You mention limited cooking facilities on the Rapido. If this implies you want an oven/grill in a PVC, you will begin to struggle as space inside is inevitably limited and these appliances take up a lot of space. I'd want to be very sure I want, and will actually use, an oven, before sacrificing useful space to get one. I'd be more interested in the hob, where so many provide only a two burner version. If no oven, then I think three burners is the practical minimum unless you plan on eating out a lot.

My starter suggestion would be to look at vans by Adria, who almost invented the rear transverse bed with front half dinette layout, and have been tweaking and refining it ever since. Quality seems to be fair, and because of popularity, availbility/price is generally good. Then, see what you don't like, and try to find alternatives that offer a better compromise.

If you really want that compressor fridge look at East Neuk Campervans who install these, plus a large battery and a decent solar panel, as standard on their Feifer range. They live in Fife, Scotland, build to order, and have a very good reputation. They also sell used vans.

Karen, I agree with Brian's two suggestions on makes/models. I'd also suggest Autocruise will have a layout to suit although I'm uncertain on its build quality. If you can get to Newark, have you looked at Globecars at SMC motors? Your fridge requirements could be too restrictive for mass built PVCs.

Unlike Brian, my wife finds two hobs sufficient providing she has enough workspace and elbow room. I find one enough!

If you are willing to compromise on the type of fridge, then your problem becomes too many PVCs to choose from! I am a great believer in finding a dealer I can trust and working from there.

I owned an Autocruise, a 'Pre' Swift one, a Starlet 2, I thought it was a terrific van, far better quality, and better 'put together' than my 'New' (2012) Autotrail. There are still a lot of 'Autocruise CH' vans about, The names mostly start with 'Starxxx something, I think they are worth a look, along with the 'Monocoque' one piece bodied Autosleepers, VW Clubman and Gatcombe, Ford Transit based Ascot, Pollensa and Amethyst.

Not so sure about the Nuevo as it is a 'Styrafoam' coventionaly built van, and prone to the usual damp problems associated with that.

Don't be too put off with 'Age' of a van (the 1992 VW Autosleeper) condition is Far Far more important, most motorhomes due low mileages anyway, it is the way they are treated and hopefully 'looked after' that counts. Good Hunting !

just realised I concour with Tracker, great minds Eh ! (perhaps not ??)

'Pre Swift ownership Autocruise are god too.' think that's a bit strong ! Ray

Ray ;-) ;-)

Thank you all for some great ideas! I agree the garage space is wasted on the auto trail 620 - luckily I travel light as this seasons vans don't seem to have changed that :-)

The compressor fridge is a preference rather than set in stone - the last absorption one I had was really rubbish. I don't use a microwave so I don't mind not having one but an oven/grill would add to my one-pot stew diet considerably. I can't imagine using THREE burners ever!!

I never use hook ups and can't connect at home either so I definitely want the solar panels. They can always be added afterwards though. Autocruise do a sport van (carrera 4) with most of the above but the quality of their show models seems a bit suspect. I suppose if it's just your own they will get much less wear which is why I'm still wondering about the tributes. I know the advice about second hand vehicles is sound but I'd love to have one from new for once...

I haven't seen an Adria yet so I'll look out for one of those - they do seem to have a lot of fans and I'm off to Newark soon. The fifer seems good too but again very pricey and most are quite big.

I love the thinking and planning part so much!

Hello all

Ive been asked what I need in the motorhome, and really its basic, two single beds a must, u shape would be ok.

A type of body construction that has no wood, as if a leak happens it seems a big problem.

As for the kitchen not that fussy, quite happy with the top burners, dont need a oven.

Bathroom would only be used at night, as for shower would not use it.

Would like cycle rack and solar panels, ladder for the roof.

A low profile body

I cant justify the price of a new one, so around £ 22,000 would be about all I want to pay.

I do like the Adria models, y tube had a good advert on them but not much about the construction of the body.

As for my original thread, come on you Elddis, Swift and other britsh made homes, lets have some positve feed back on your purchase, as it seems at the moment that foreign is king, except for the Autosleeper models.

As I said that the chap down the road has a V W Autosleeper 1993, well its a Auto Hause Explorer, been looking on the net but cant find one, they seem so well made and rare.

Thanks again for the very positive replies

Quick reply because I'm off away on Monday morning. I think you have narrowed your choice down to two makes.

Autosleepers used to build 'monocoque' motorhomes. I think they were fibreglass or similar. They had a good reputation for not leaking. Still quite a few about on the road and in your price bracket. They also had ladders although I doubt you could stand on the roof.

You'll also get a sound Hymer. Should be damp free.

Thinking aloud, and being willing for subsequent posters to shoot me down, all mainstream UK motorhomes builders used wood [except the monocoques] and insulation that absorbs water. Hymer use no wood and use polyurethane for insulation which has a high tolerance against water ingress.

Monocoques and Hymers are not that common on the second market because people hold on to them.

You will need to watch the loading margin given what you intend adding. Can you drive more than 3500kg on your licence?

Guest pelmetman

I am in the same boat and looking at the moment, and I want very similar the only rear difference is that I want at least 1 if not 2 extra belted seats and I realy want an opening rear door.

I have looked at most of them and just about decided on what I want, but I do have some personal observations.

I really like the semi-integrated design such as the burstner t645/640/605 and the hymer version, havent seen one but like the look of the new swift rio although it seems to suffer from the "british" van problem which is lack of space between the rear lounge seats, I also love the dethlefffs Evan but the cost is unbelievable, at £60,000 near as; its £20,000 too expensive!!!!

The the others are also very nice and I would love to have the t645, as it covers all bases for me, but again I just can bring my self to spend £50,000 for what is basicaly a pvc, and in the case of the Burstner and Hymer, very low levels of spec, well made to be sure, but not £10,000 better made than their competition, and buy the time you equate levels of trim, they are even more expensive than that.

Despite the fact that i really want one of the other types I am going to get a Van Conversion, Auto-trail dont do a layout I want but are very well made, Globcar were ok, and of the massed produced ones much better than the alternatives, but Adria just felt cheap and tacky in comparison despite the price being the same. I had a good look at wildax at the show at the weekend and they look like a very good van all winterized, good cooker, good space, which is why thats my van of choice.

Had a good look at a Tribute as well and they are built to a price but at £34,000 ish new against £44,000 ish new for Globcar/adria etc, were they £10,000 better? no is the anwser for me.

just personal views

Guest pelmetman
VELORAPTOR - 2014-08-18 4:04 PM

Hello,

Its a Auto Haus Explorer, is that a British made motohome, sounds German.

VELORAPTOR - 2014-08-17 8:48 PM

"As I said that the chap down the road has a V W Autosleeper 1993", well its a Auto Hause Explorer, been looking on the net but cant find one, they seem so well made and rare.

I misunderstood your post then :-S................Do you mean this company?.

http://www.autohausvw.co.uk

bowser - 2014-08-19 8:46 AM

I really like the semi-integrated design such as the burstner t645/640/605 and the hymer version, havent seen one but like the look of the new swift rio although it seems to suffer from the "british" van problem which is lack of space between the rear lounge seats, I also love the dethlefffs Evan but the cost is unbelievable, at £60,000 near as; its £20,000 too expensive!!!!

The the others are also very nice and I would love to have the t645, as it covers all bases for me, but again I just can bring my self to spend £50,000 for what is basicaly a pvc, and in the case of the Burstner and Hymer, very low levels of spec, well made to be sure, but not £10,000 better made than their competition, and buy the time you equate levels of trim, they are even more expensive than that.

If you are really interested in German vans look to buy in Belgium or Germany , Hymer's particularly a good buy abroad you will save at least 10k. With Hymers the spec is not that low you get all the safety features as standard, passenger air bag, traction plus, hill holder, ESP whereas on most UK vans it will cost you thousands extra. You get safety in the price & pay for the frills in my opinion a much better way to sell a van.

Hello

Yes your correct. Autohause is the name on the van.

I have noticed no response from British made motorhomes, are these owners not happy with them.

Going by what has been said so far, I will not be looking for a British van except a Autosleeper,

VELORAPTOR - 2014-08-19 8:55 PM

Hello

Yes your correct. Autohause is the name on the van.

I have noticed no response from British made motorhomes, are these owners not happy with them.

Going by what has been said so far, I will not be looking for a British van except a Autosleeper,

We have had our British Elddis since 1998 and have no wish to change for a newer model, might be forced on us by legislation though unfortunately! We are and have been totally happy with our wooden, alloy and GRP construction. Serviced by myself more regularly than specified, 96000 miles of Continental and UK travel later and just new wheel bearings all round, a new exhaust and a suspension leg (all of which could happen on any make) Re sealed after ten years of use, because we thought it prudent

As Tracker said earlier, people who are happy rarely say so, people who have made an error just keep whinging!

So no response from British owners, probably because they can't be bothered to become involved in the 'mine is better than yours' playground.

Bas

Archived