First purchase of a motorhome

VELORAPTOR

Its not that, as my original thread stated, I don't own a motorhome, Im looking for good advice, and it seems at the moment that your the only one of many that must be happy with there British made motorhome.

This is what I want to know about a motorhome the good points or the bad points, bring them on

Guest pelmetman

There are plenty of British built campers that give years of trouble free service ;-)................

As Bas has pointed out, regular use and a proactive approach to maintenance is key in preventing problems B-)...........

As I pointed out earlier look for a low owner vehicle with full history, and once found make sure you use it on a regular basis, as the worst thing you can do to a camper is leave it parked up in all weathers for weeks/months on end :-|..............

Despite what has been said ! we own a 2013 Autocruise Alto , build and specs suit us down to the ground I wouldn't dream of commenting on anything that we don't have experience of so I will refrain from spouting forth with my twopeneth :-D Good luck with your choice have a good look around and then make you own mind up after all its your money.

We have a British Swift Sundance "Lifestyle" which means it was a Marquis special with upholstery etc upgraded .

Had from new 8 years old now Apart from the "damp floor" which was an issue with a few models, and which Swift repaired FOC even though out of warranty. (and made a great job of it) We travel for 3 months at a time usually and then as now (going next week) for a month later in year.

WE are very happy with our BRITISH van, have only replace usual things , tyres, battery, cam belt (for peace of mind) and clutch Done over 40,000 miles The layout suits us (which I think is most important) so have no intention of changing in near future. This our first and only Motor Home, and will see us out until too old to drive the distances we do

Having been sailors for many years, we knew all about having the right space and storage for our needs, so made the right choice of layout for us, first time (and bearing in mind that we would be restricted to 3500, due to age)

Bare in mind what you want to use van for, think about how and when you use it. We don't use ours in UK now, as for us it is quicker and cheaper (living close to ferry ) to go across to France/Spain/Portugal

Wish you luck in your search, only YOU can decide what is right for you!

PJay

VELORAPTOR - 2014-08-17 8:48 PM

As for my original thread, come on you Elddis, Swift and other britsh made homes, lets have some positve feed back on your purchase, as it seems at the moment that foreign is king, except for the Autosleeper models.

I have a Swift bought new in 2008. Swift has the honour of selling more motorhomes in the UK than any other brand. As with most makes, including German makes there have been cases of damp and other issues in the past.

Mine has been damp free for 6 years now, has had few problems and I am very pleased with it.

I would concentrate more on your ideal layout than who makes the motorhome.

Also make sure you appreciate that many vehicle are built to a budget.

Tribune and the Swift Escape range are built to offer entry level vans. This is reflected in the price.

Similarly Hymer Exsis are supposedly built to a lesser standard then the B series (I have no personal experience, just what I have read).

You also need to distinguish between build quality and the quality of the building materials. I do not believe that Tribunes have low build quality but the materials used are chosen to ensure a budget price is achieved.

Whilst you will get good, or indeed excellent advise from this forum, it is in no way fully representative of the UK motorhome user. Many Swift and Elddis owners bought their vehicle because they have a family, want full cooking facilities and things like U-shaped lounges or front and rear lounges where you can separate kids and adults. Most of the forum members are couples at or near retirement and have different requirement.

I can see my requirements changing in the future. My next choice would be a motorhome that has a garage that will house bikes. That criteria will probably mean I will have to look at German models as it is not a popular layout with British build vans. As always, layout comes first.

AliB - 2014-08-20 2:25 PM

Similarly Hymer Exsis are supposedly built to a lesser standard then the B series (I have no personal experience, just what I have read).

Wash your mouth out, in the stocks with you (lol)

Obviously spoken by someone who knows absolutely nothing about Hymers's. The Exsis in reality is a lighter weight narrower version of the B Class, it does not have a full double floor, but retains an Al-Ko chassis, the furniture & trim are the same materials as used in the B Class, the door mirrors are a bit cheaper not the coach type, but the rear trim/bumper is a 4mm thick aluminium extrusion compared to the B Class's thin ABS plastic molding.

As I said Lenny, no personal experience just the impression given by reading posts like the following:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Even-on-a-Hymer-/35698/

I am not knocking the Exsis range, it is probably very high on my list if I decide to change.

Maybe I should not believe what I read on this forum but wait until I have personal experience.

sorry to be late with a reply but been away.

i have looked at getting somthing abroad, I have some trepidation regarding the idea, first is that what ever happens I have to pay the import duty and vat on brining it in to the uk (if new), by the time you have done that and paid to go and get it there is not much of a saving, +reduced value as left hand drive, and a small increase in insurance cost, more important for me is spending upwards of £40k, and if there are any issues then the dealership with whom you have any redress is up 1000 miles away!! Ok if you buy new then you MAY get somewhere with the maufacturer but no certainty, I have personal knowledge of importing bikes, from both harley and triumph and only the importers in the country of purchase would handle any of the warrenty work I assume the same is true for vans.

I have seriously looked at the import bit, I suppose just a bit wary, I have alway bought old stuff before and this is the first time I have looked at spending anything close to this sort of money on a vehicle 8-)

When it comes to spec I am equating like with like, so ESP,traction control etc etc.

lennyhb - 2014-08-19 9:29 AM

bowser - 2014-08-19 8:46 AM

I really like the semi-integrated design such as the burstner t645/640/605 and the hymer version, havent seen one but like the look of the new swift rio although it seems to suffer from the "british" van problem which is lack of space between the rear lounge seats, I also love the dethlefffs Evan but the cost is unbelievable, at £60,000 near as; its £20,000 too expensive!!!!

The the others are also very nice and I would love to have the t645, as it covers all bases for me, but again I just can bring my self to spend £50,000 for what is basicaly a pvc, and in the case of the Burstner and Hymer, very low levels of spec, well made to be sure, but not £10,000 better made than their competition, and buy the time you equate levels of trim, they are even more expensive than that.

If you are really interested in German vans look to buy in Belgium or Germany , Hymer's particularly a good buy abroad you will save at least 10k. With Hymers the spec is not that low you get all the safety features as standard, passenger air bag, traction plus, hill holder, ESP whereas on most UK vans it will cost you thousands extra. You get safety in the price & pay for the frills in my opinion a much better way to sell a van.

8-) 8-)

Guest JudgeMental

bowser dear boy, you only seem to have a vague grasp on the facts....some more research a good idea, use the forum "search" function.

a few points.

no import duty within EU its a common market. you just pay UK Vat when you import if new, if not and its 6 months old with 6000 miles you dont need to pay VAT again which was payed when new.

the vehicle chassis warranty valid Europe wide, as is all the European equipment within (fridge/heating etc....)

Also some manufacturers happy to have work done in other countries.

the savings can be significant, even if you needed to take the van back...which is unlikely in my experience.

if its a CB your after, Belgium a better idea and prices similar

• 1 month later...

Archived