Good service from Brownhills

StuartO

Borownhills at Newark have had a poor press for service on forums but I've recently had excellent help ordering Hymer spares from them, so credit where credit is due.

They lost the Hymer franchise for selling motorhomes but they have kept up a parts service and they sell a lot of stuff on EBay, occassionally surplus stuff at reduced prices.

There is a guy called Darren who handles the Hymer stuff and he used to work for HymerUK in Preston, before it shut down, so he knows his Hymer stuff.

But above all the people you deal with on the phone at Brownhills buying Hymer bits are invariably very helpful, even when you get things wrong and order the wrong thing.

No idea whether the MH sales and service side of things have improved but the Hymer parts service is excellent.

Pleased that others also making positive comments about Brownhills. We have purchased quite a few vans (too many!!) from Brownhills and always found them excellent, in terms of deal given, after sales and service as well as extras like free overnight stays, entertainment week ends etc. New Rapido 691 ff on order for start September, and up to press everything going well; a pleasure to deal with.

We too had excellent service from Brownhills Swindon, then they closed it, six months after selling us a van. Told us to take it to Newark for servicing !! As we live in Fishguard we thought it a bit of a sarcastic suggestion. We also belonged to 'Club Brownhills' which was great, when they had multiple Branches around the Country. Hardly worth it now. At least Marquis has kept it's branches open. Ray

Just had a follow-up phone call from Brownhills. I had bought the wrong thing, they offered to swap and sent me the correct bit without waiting for me to send the wrong one back. The phone call was about crediting me with the difference in price.

Really helpful people; they know their stuff and go the extra mile. Well done both Nick and Darren.

Guest Peter James

I have always found it a pleasure to go to Brownhills at Newark. I think when they had a bigger number of branches and customers they had a bigger number of complaints, even though the percentage of satisfied customers was high.

Rather like Tesco got all the flack for the horsemeat scandal - even though Aldi 'beefburgers' contained a higher percentage of horsemeat.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-27 7:45 PM

The guy's a nutter who got what he deserved.

If you never had that kinda of money before and then get sold a pup? ;-)..............I imagine there is a lot more behind this story than we'll ever know :-|....................

You may well be right Dave - he was said to be homeless so you would think sorting out a home would take greater priority than buying a very expensive motorhome - unless he intended full timing - in which case why get rid of it at a huge loss - and what did he p/x it for - maybe a narrowboat - or a scud missile maybe?

Who knows and I guess we never will?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-27 7:56 PM

You may well be right Dave - he was said to be homeless so you would think sorting out a home would take greater priority than buying a very expensive motorhome - unless he intended full timing - in which case why get rid of it at a huge loss - and what did he p/x it for - maybe a narrowboat - or a scud missile maybe?

Who knows and I guess we never will?

Exactly my point Rich.............Although it strikes me as queer that he was actually jailed for a year (six months in reality) yet people who carry out much more repeated serious crimes like GBH and the like will often walk away with a suspended sentence :-S...............

But that's the capitalist system for you *-)..............crimes against the pound are more serious then crimes against the person.................unless your a banker.........or a GP mogul and can finance your crimes legally :-|....................

Guest Had Enough
He's still a nutter who got what he deserved. You don't solve trade disputes by trashing the other person's property.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-27 8:07 PM

He's still a nutter who got what he deserved. You don't solve trade disputes by trashing the other person's property.

I bet he felt great afterwards ;-)...................and now we're paying for his accommodation *-)........

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-27 8:11 PM

We're paying? I might be. I don't think you need to worry though.

I still pay my stealth taxes ;-)..............got my books back from the accountant today, and I made a profit :-D....................sadly not enough to pay income tax..............I'm such a failure :'(....................

:D

Guest Peter James

That link didn't work for me - try this one: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Caravan-revenge-spree-ends-jail/story-22831858-detail/story.html

I have been to Brownhills Newark and enjoyed the freedom to look inside all the motorhomes without being shadowed by sales staff - I hope this idiot hasn't spoiled that for everyone. I am no saint, but I couldn't damage them or nick anything when they have trusted you to look around. It would be like being invited into someone's home and then damaging or stealing something - totally off limits and out of order as far as I am concerned. A pity he didn't have more money then the court would have took it off him for compensation, legal fees, fines, etc etc

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2014-08-27 8:29 PM

That link didn't work for me - try this one: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Caravan-revenge-spree-ends-jail/story-22831858-detail/story.html

I have been to Brownhills Newark and enjoyed the freedom to look inside all the motorhomes without being shadowed by sales staff - I hope this idiot hasn't spoiled that for everyone. I am no saint, but I couldn't damage them or nick anything when they have trusted you to look around. It would be like being invited into someone's home and then damaging or stealing something - totally off limits and out of order as far as I am concerned. A pity he didn't have more money then the court would have took it off him for compensation, legal fees, fines, etc etc

That's not like you Peter 8-)..............I thought you were a defender of the ner do well? :-S...........

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2014-08-27 8:38 PM

That's not like you Peter 8-)..............I thought you were a defender of the ner do well? :-S...........

Yes but there are limits, and thats indefensible.

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2014-08-27 8:44 PM

pelmetman - 2014-08-27 8:38 PM

Yes but there are limits, and thats indefensible.

Blimey Peter 8-)..............Are you a closet capitalist? 8-) 8-) 8-)..............Frank will be pleased :D.........

Guest Peter James

I heard of a fitter at Brownhills who used an over long self tapping screw which protruded through the side of the van 8-) and who has never done anything daft like that.:$ But the owner insisted it was restored to new condition, and Brownhills paid for it to be taken back to the factory and a new side fitted, so I can't believe they don't take complaints seriously.

I think this nightmare customer probably had second thoughts about spending all his money on a motorhome and wanted his money back.......

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2014-08-27 9:04 PM

I heard of a fitter at Brownhills who used an over long self tapping screw which protruded through the side of the van 8-) and who has never done anything daft like that.:$ But the owner insisted it was restored to new condition, and Brownhills paid for it to be taken back to the factory and a new side fitted, so I can't believe they don't take complaints seriously.

Urban myth Peter?................Its a bit like saying "I heard" about someone who was gassed in their motorhome :D..........

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2014-08-27 9:13 PM

Peter James - 2014-08-27 9:04 PM

Urban myth Peter?................Its a bit like saying "I heard" about someone who was gassed in their motorhome :D..........

You could be right :$

The problem with threads where someone complains about service is that you don't get the other side of the story. I know nothing about Brownhills except that I was on a site a couple of years back and was chatting to the driver of the van on the next pitch and he was very negative. But, he was such a pompous, self-important, loudmouth that I did wonder what they would have said about him.

Archived