Garage door

Fly Kim

I need to replace the garage door on my Swift Sundance 630G . It is a 2002 model so parts are difficult to come by and can take several weeks to acquire. With a holiday looming I really need to get my beloved motorhome back into service. Any suggestions?

No emergency. I had a lapse of concentration and left the door open when I pulled out of storage. The door caught and within less than 3 feet at 3 mph the hinges twisted so not able to shut it. The twisting caused the door panel to crack and broke the frame. Definitely a new door required!

So you need a temporary repair to get you back on the road? Withough photographs the following is mostly speculation but it might help so here goes:

Try removing the hinges, so you can try to bash them back into shape in a vice, then refit. If that can't be done consider replacing them with a pair of hinges from the ironmongers - bearing in mind that if the frame is damaged you will probably need some filling repair work to make good the area eventually anyway so what's another couple of holes? Repair the spilt door by superimposing sheet material over the crack or maybe just use gaffer tape.. If necessary you could remove the distorted door and fasten sheet material over the hole as atemporary fix.

If you lack the skills to cope with this contact a local caravana/motorhome repair workshop and ask them to do a temporary repair for you - and also to order the parts to do the proper repair later.

Good luck.

Guest Had Enough
Fly Kim - 2014-08-25 3:55 PM

I need to replace the garage door on my Swift Sundance 630G . It is a 2002 model so parts are difficult to come by and can take several weeks to acquire. With a holiday looming I really need to get my beloved motorhome back into service. Any suggestions?

Where do you live? I know a motorhome body repairer who can make it as good as new and you may not need a new door. He's not alone though as there are many good body shops around the country and if we knew your location other members can make recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived