Chipping?

Madmaggott

Two years ago we fitted a Turbotune box, link below, to our then Fiat A/T Cheyenne with the 130 engine.

As per the laws of physics you don't get owt for nowt so whilst it did very considerably boost the torque and the power if I used it the fuel consumption was diabolical!

However the Cheyenne was way over it's stated 3500kg at some 3800 kg in holiday mode and was not exactly a lightweight streamlined beastie.

I don't usually push my motorhome hard for all the usual reasons so the extra power was of no value, but

the extra torque was, and the fact that it pulled cleanly from well under 2000 rpm made the driving experience much better and when not using the extra power by being gentle with my right foot fuel consumption was no worse.

When we changed to the Peugeot I had Energy Tuning rewire and reset the unit for the 2.2 hdi (110 bhp I think) and it certainly pulls more cleanly as before although I would not say that economy has improved it is at worst no worse and the van is nicer to drive.

Would I buy one again for a motorhome - I doubt it knowing what I know now - but I will keep it now that I have it and transfer it again should we (sorry when) we change vans again.

I have no experience of long term effects on the engine but many manufacturers charge an arm and a leg for uprated versions of otherwise identical engines and unless the internals of said engines have different part numbers to signify greater strength and durabilty I suspect that it is a smoke and mirrors excercise to extract more cash from buyers for what is basically the same engines with different electronics.

I don't know either way - Euroserv, or someone with access the engine part numbers might?

I do think that the most important user changeable component in a modern engine is the engine oil and after many years of thinking oil is oil is oil, I now take great care to use the best and most suitable oil that I can when changing according to the makers blurb.

After all although oil is expensive - so is a new engine - and with zero oil consumption of a modern engine you only need change it every two years.

The Turbotune box has 3 settings each for power and torque and an on/off switch so you can turn it off if you want/need to. I run mine on the middle setting for torque and the low setting for power.

I hope that helps towards the answers you are seeking?

http://energy-tuning.co.uk/buyonline.php

Guest pelmetman

Looks like Franks mouse has escaped :D..............unless its got a doppelganger virus 8-)........

Which is being spread by the BBC :-S................

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-27 7:27 PM

Stay calm dear - it's only a mouse!!

But it might be a Ebolalocks virus spread by endless repeats? :-S............

pelmetman - 2014-08-27 7:32 PM

Tracker - 2014-08-27 7:27 PM

Stay calm dear - it's only a mouse!!

But it might be a Ebolalocks virus spread by endless repeats? :-S............

Interesting theory - for me it's raw onions that cause endless repeats!

Brian Kirby - 2014-08-27 6:55 PMI was going to try to find a torque curve for the engine, but Vauxhall are now on about the new Vivaro which, of course, has new engines! Hey ho!From what you say it sounds as though it lacks low speed torque. Whether that is deliberate, and if so for what reason, or is indicative of a problem, if your service centre can't tell you, is anyone's guess.Maybe you'd just have to regard first as a normal driving gear under the circumstances you describe. Is it high geared overall, I wonder?
I can only use first for a few yards when starting off, and so is too low to use when in forward motion. Sixth is high, just over 2k revs = 70mph. As you suggest, not much I can do about it, I just drive round it. It does spoil what I regard as fun driving.  Don't suppose I'll be back in the Pyrenees this year in the van, tho planning on Wales next week. No problems there then!

Turbo diesels use exhaust gases to spin up the turbo, so they need revs to maintain boost.

Normally aerated diesels have grunt at low revs and can chug up hills without changing gear.

The latest engines have variable blade turbos or even low and high pressure ones to even out the boost.

The first generation new mini had the same engine in the one and the cooper, just different mapping, but are now quite different. The 150bhp Fiat engine has a different turbo to the 130 model, but I believe the transmission is the same so the 130 should cope with extra power.

Slightly off topic but I have a 2012 2.2 Citroen Relay based PVC rated at 130PS Euro 5. Note its is less than 130bhp and Citroen in their brochure show the output in KW but do not convert to PS or BHP.

I find that power output more than adequate for my purposes including long distance touring and autobahn cruising.

Citroen offer an 150PS version of the van. The technical description of this engine bore/stroke capacity etc is the same but the power and torque are both increased. I wonder if the differences in the "bigger" engine are down to electronic management in other words the engine is not otherwise different. There is a cost increase of circa £1000 which is a lot but there might be other differences e.g. upgraded suspension or brakes but there again...........!

So perhaps there is an inherent 20PS to be gained. For me I neither need nor want this but it is technically interesting and perhaps Nick can comment even though its not a Fiat !

Archived