carjacked in france

keithnchris

when we was on are back to the tunnel just outside Paris we stopped at a McDonnell car park in Jablines to look at the road map I got up to go to the bathroom at the back of the motorhome my wife was sat in her seat at the front seconds later a man opened her door pushed her to one side and took two purses with all our bank cards in them be warned ALLWAYS LOCK YOUR DOORS when stopped for any reason this was in broad daylight in McDonnell and lidle car park this was our first trip to France in our motorhome

Guest Had Enough

Don't let it put you off France. Learn from this and, as you say, when in places such as this always lock your doors. If you visit a supermarket in cities one of you should stay in the motorhome whilst one does the shopping.

Crime is rare in most parts of France but, just like in Britain, whilst you can relax a bit in the Scottish Highlands or the middle of Devon you'd take a lot more care in certain city centres.

France is a great motorhoming country so make sure that you return!

keithnchris - 2014-08-28 8:16 PM

when we was on are back to the tunnel just outside Paris we stopped at a McDonnell car park in Jablines to look at the road map I got up to go to the bathroom at the back of the motorhome my wife was sat in her seat at the front seconds later a man opened her door pushed her to one side and took two purses with all our bank cards in them be warned ALLWAYS LOCK YOUR DOORS when stopped for any reason this was in broad daylight in McDonnell and lidle car park this was our first trip to France in our motorhome

You were robbed not carjacked. Carjacking is having the vehicle nicked and you left at the roadside. Its still a very nasty robbery and for sure people need to be really careful when in urban areas.

We are always extra careful if parked at McDonalds because it is well known that we MH folk tend to go there for the free wifi; when you attention is on your lappy or tablet it is not on what is going on around you. Likewise, parking in supermarket carparks near/in city or busy towns, although our dog would be in the van usually one of us stays in the van as well.  Also, if you must leave the van unattended make sure you have all the blinds drawn, if the intended thief can't see inside he/she doesn't know if anyone is in.  Always hide your card wallet and other valuables, don't put them in the glove box or other obvious place as it only takes seconds to snatch and go. 

It's a pity you got caught on your 1st holiday in France, please don't let it put you off and as stated above use it as a hard lesson so you won't get caught out again. 

Whilst anyone can sympathise with being robbed like this, for the thief to have been able to snatch TWO purses seems to leave a lot to be desired with taking care of your valuables and precautions in general.................hide them for goodness sake. they certainly shouldn't have been able to just take them, the mind boggles as to where they were.........on the dashboard ?

Guest JudgeMental
goldi - 2014-08-29 10:50 AM

Morning folks,

Round here as in a lot of the uk you are advised to lock your car when at the petrol station because of this type of robbery.

We are are extra carful around any major conurbation anywhere.

norm

both home and abroad....surely in this day and age you have to be security conscious, it only takes a tap on dashboard button to lock yourself in

Joe90 - 2014-08-29 11:13 AM

Whilst anyone can sympathise with being robbed like this, for the thief to have been able to snatch TWO purses seems to leave a lot to be desired with taking care of your valuables and precautions in general.................hide them for goodness sake. they certainly shouldn't have been able to just take them, the mind boggles as to where they were.........on the dashboard ?

Not a very kindly or empathetic response?

It is understandable that unsuspecting people who are unaware of the risks would treat their motorhome as their castle and not be expecting this kind of attack and robbery and I have every sympathy for the victims.

It is so easy to point the finger after the event and say they should have done this that or t'other and I commend Keithnchris's bravery in posting this as a warning to others and I do hope that it does not put them off of foreign touring.

Tracker - 2014-08-29 12:20 PM

Joe90 - 2014-08-29 11:13 AM

Not a very kindly or empathetic response?

It is understandable that unsuspecting people who are unaware of the risks would treat their motorhome as their castle and not be expecting this kind of attack and robbery and I have every sympathy for the victims.

It is so easy to point the finger after the event and say they should have done this that or t'other and I commend Keithnchris's bravery in posting this as a warning to others and I do hope that it does not put them off of foreign touring.

If you take the trouble to read what I said quote

"Whilst anyone can sympathise with being robbed like this,

and if there is a single person on the known universe that doesn't think there are thieves about everywhere I've yet to meet them....................I have no apologies to make, the very first rule is DON'T leave valuables, especially wallets and purses on full view............as they obviously must have been to be grabbed.

and this person was not " carjacked" either.....or gassed !

IMO they were either rather naive or rather stupid in having such valuables so readily to hand for any potential thief..

If people need to be warned not be naive or stupid leaving their wallets and purses on display then I apologise..but I would have thought that was a given in this day and age

keithnchris - 2014-08-28 8:16 PM

Useful info - thanks.

Not often we get first hand reports.

I hope it doesn't put you off touring on the continent as these things are quite rare.

... and don't put put off the forum by any of the less ' diplomatic ' members !

;-)

Thanks for being brave enough to come on and give us the heads up :-D as malc d has said don,t be put off by the as he said less diplomatic on here ;-) I could have used a more descriptive name for them !! but wont (lol)

No one could blame you for being put off going abroad again, but as others have said it can and does happen here, if Im driving alone I always make sure my doors are locked as Ive heard of opportunist thieves robbing cars stopped at traffic lights over here.

We have been going abroad for about 8 years now others a lot longer and have never had any trouble, but as you can see from my avatar no-one approaches our van without these two doing a good impression of a pair of rottweillers (lol) Im not suggesting you get a dog BUT they do put off anyone up to no good .

You have had a hard lesson but for warned is for armed it wont happen to you again just take care and enjoy what should be a relaxing time in your motorhome. :-D

Archived