Aries basics

Abcheetham

If you buy the Aires book, giving directions to free(ish) sites usually in towns, then join France Passion which gives you details of farms, vineyards and others that will let you stay overnight, you are well set up to wander without a worry of where you can stay overnight without having to book into a campsite.

Just set off and see where you end up, some will be superb, some disappointing, but it is so different to the British local council mentality of banning everything.

I can thoroughly recommend 'All the Aires - France' by Vicarious books.

Cheap it is not and many Aires on Motorways that are considered potentially dangerous are not included, however it is all in English, the accuracy of directions, descriptions and co-ordinates is second to none so for us and many others this makes this book and the optional map the must have touring companions for France - along with a good sat nav.

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/All-the-Aires-France-edition-4.html

Abcheetham - 2014-08-30 11:13 AM

We're taking Herbie to France and haven't got a clue what this Aries thing is, can someone provide an idiots guide for me?

There are service areas, and rest areas on French motorways which they call aires.

Just like Watford Gap on the M1 over here.

It is recommended that you do NOT stop on those for the night ( although some people do ).

The aires that motorhomers use are really just very basic campsites, for motorhomes only, usually in villages or towns, which provide a place to stop with ( usually) a water supply and a place to dump waste. Some also provide an electric hookup. usually much cheaper than campsites - often free.

Have a good trip.

(p.s. I usually use campsites and have never yet had to book one ).

;-)

Guest JudgeMental

personally would describe as more like car parks for motorhomes as opposed to campsites;-)

If you read up online about them and if you have a sat nav no real need for a book as you can download a set of POI (Points Of Interest) for most countries. These will navigate you to the most convenient ones at a press of a button.

http://www.airetoday.co.uk/satnav.html

http://www.europebycamper.com/2013/12/2014-autoroute-motorhome-aire-campsite.html

this both aires and campsites

http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/

it will give you an idea at least..many more resources on inter webby thingy :-D

Aires de service are places where you can 'service' your Camping-car, ie dump the waste and probably fill with fresh water ( in season) There may be parking nearby. 
Aire de Parking Camping car are specially reserved Parks for Motor homes only and may include a Service point.
You can get a better idea from this site (in French) which gives a panoramic view of hundreds of Parkings In all but the Eastern regions of France, The site is still in development. 

The beauty of a book as opposed to sat nav pois or computer based info is that you can sit and look at it and read about and select where you want to be next at leisure without needing anything electronic or in need of wifi or a phone signal., and it is simple enough to tap in the coordinates of several at a time once you have decided on an area but are undecided which Aire would suit you best.

Internet motorhome forums - riddled with ill-humoured argument, cock-eyed opinions confidently presented as indisputable facts and vapid drivel masquerading as comedy. Dreadful places...

Far better to obtain a real ‘paper’ motorhome magazine (like MMM, Which Motorhome or Practical Motorhome) produced by experts, containing reliable advice and able to be read at leisure without needing anything electronic.

Some aires are very basic as Judge says and I personally would not stay on those. This year I have seen several like this with lots of "travellers" white vans and caravans on so I beat a hasty retreat. However, there are many that are superbe with a grass area separating the parking spaces, containing picnic tables, excellent clean shower rooms and toilets and often free. So you need to read the advice comments carefully and check them out early rather than late afternoon, leaving time to find a campsite. There is often one nearby.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-08-31 8:11 AM

Internet motorhome forums - riddled with ill-humoured argument, cock-eyed opinions confidently presented as indisputable facts and vapid drivel masquerading as comedy. Dreadful places....

I hadn't noticed that ;-)

Patricia - 2014-08-31 3:27 PM

... there are many that are superbe with a grass area separating the parking spaces, containing picnic tables, excellent clean shower rooms and toilets and often free...

This is an example of a full facilities motorhomes-only ‘aire' near Laval

http://www.laval-tourisme-uk.com/detail/6843c9e7e2d4b03d94230feb4a2e38d1/237323

Even cheaper is a municipal campsite just a few kilometres away at Andouillé

http://www.mayenne-tourisme.com/en/Carte-interactive/CAMPING-MUNICIPAL-LE-PONT

This is a no-services aire near Auray

http://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/morbihan/56-locmariaquer

and this is the not-too-expensive municipal campsite next door

http://www.locmariaquer.fr/camping-municipal-page-52-rub-7.html

The most common type of aire, though, involves a public car park as shown in these two examples

http://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.mobi/panoramique/manche/50-saint-fromond/

http://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.mobi/panoramique/calvados/14-herouvillette/

(I don’t think I’ve ever encountered an aire that meets ALL of Patricia’s criteria. The closer the facilities provided come to what one might expect to find on a campsite, the more likely that the aire will not be free.)

The aire that I describe does exist Derek, or did the last time that I used it! It is south of Auriac in the Auvergne at a small interesting town called Montsalvy. Details are on www.campingcar-infos.com, no. 3370 which includes a comment from me in 2009. I notice they now charge the huge sum of €1 for the shower (but parking is still free) which is in the small shed building in the photos.

Accès/adresse :

Avenue de l'Oeuvre Louis Conlombant

Route de Junhac

15120 MONTSALVY

Latitude : (Nord) 44.70782° Décimaux ou 44° 42' 28''

Longitude : (Est) 2.49669° Décimaux ou 2° 29' 48''

Abcheetham - 2014-09-02 12:16 PM

Thanks everyone, I'm happy with the risk of a better class location! So, anyone get any recommendations near Dieppe and maybe somewhere near Tours ?

Ab, There is a motorhome only aire in Dieppe itself at Quai G Lalitte, just on from the ferry terminal. Nice views from some pitches, which are not marked out, and not too far to walk into centre. Cost is 7€/night Inc water etc but no hook ups. There is a second aire, parking only, on opposite side estuary near beach at same cost but we have not been to it so not sure what it is like but suspect vans will park close. Also understand both are to be redeveloped to include electric hook ups, marked pitches etc with cost up to 15€/night, but think this does not start till November.

Not too far from Dieppe is Le Treport, where the aire is on the edge of town next to camp site Les Boucaniers. It is well set out with marked pitches, all hard standing, electric hook ups etc but not a very scenic outlook from most pitches. Entry by cc barrier at cost of just under 10€/night. Again not far to nice port/seaside town of Le Treport, with free WiFi at tourist office. Site next to aire is not much different in cost so some may choose to stay there but obviously we would not!

Billggski - 2014-09-02 2:51 PM

......which raises the question of whether some aires are starting to look pricey compared to using ACSI on a proper campsite, which is often next door.

Some are next to sites but many are not and the Aires are almost always much closer to town than the sites. But is a matter of choice and some of us prefer Aires and price is not an issue whilst others like camp sites and nothing wrong with that.

Regarding Aires near Tours then if just want an overnight stop then south of Tours on N 10, the aire at St Maure de touraine should fit the bill. Car park style but pleasant setting, some road noise but no charge and can fill up with water and empty toilet. For a more interesting stop then the aire at Villains les Rochers, a centre for traditional basket making, might be worth consideration. Parking is outside the town hall with free services, no electricity but free WiFi. Nice and peaceful most nights except Saturday if there is a wedding celebration at the village hall next door.

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2014-09-02 2:51 PM

......which raises the question of whether some aires are starting to look pricey compared to using ACSI on a proper campsite, which is often next door.

Not from where I'm sitting..............At Ange, free leccy, free wifi and free aire :D.............just a tad too warm but sat in the shade is comfortable ;-).................Most of the French have got their tables chairs and awnings out...........You have to admire their approach to pettifogging rules B-).................

Just flicking through the forum and found this thread which jogged the old brain about a question re:- Aires.

In May, on our early summer jaunt, we stopped at a couple of sites that only took card payment. The problem being the machine didn't recognise our cards so we didn't stay.

Anyone else had this problem and any solutions? Thanks

Yes, we had a similar problem.

We knew the cards were okay, we'd used them earlier that day to do shopping at SuperU, but the Aire machine wouldn't recognise them.

We asked (sign language, a few shrugs from us and plenty of 'Merci Monsieurs') a French Motorhome owner already on site if he'd use his card and we'd give him cash.

He agreed straight away and we got in that way.

Our cards worked okay the next time we used them and it was only the Aire machine that refused them.

:-D :-D :-D

Archived