Bespoke washroom refit; HELP!!!!

snowie

Keeping the van, can't be doing with looking for a replacement, and not looking for another newbuild project;.............so looking to upgrade certain areas, just like we would the house.

There must be hundreds of different toilet installations out there, so;.................

has anyone got a chemical toilet that fits neatly in the corner of their washroom? (in the same way that a corner basin would)

We haven't got space for a C400, and the C200 range leave awkward space that is hard to clean or keep clear of shower water. We have a C200, and would like to find a better fitting alternative,

thanks

alan b

Guest pelmetman

Sue solved our cleaning problem ;-)................I do it 8-).................

Although contemplating a refit myself at a later date, but our fittings are all beige, and I know they only do the Thetford bench type loo in white, so wondering whether this "Speedcoat" stuff could be used to respray the sink/shower and the walls which are just vinyl wallpaper?............ still good as new though B-).......

pelmetman - 2014-09-04 2:45 PM

Sue solved our cleaning problem ;-)................I do it

Hadn't thought about the cleaning!!

I can't post a pic' though, which would clarify the situation, as not sure when the cleaner was last in there!

Our main problem is that when fitted close to the corner of the washroom, the standard Thetford casing leaves a space that is impossible to keep water out of except by use of yards and yards of shower curtain. When wet, this stuff clings, making it feel like a mummifying booth or something from a Hitchcock movie. If the van isn't perfectly level, then water accumulates in the corner. Not good.

I'm going to the remaining campervan shows this year, just to look at washroom fittings! I'll sort it, but it's not easy to find a wide range of kit.

As for beige Dave, I reckon youll just have to accept a two-tone washroom,

regards

alan b

Guest JudgeMental
as Lenny says you need a better tray..I would live with the toilet. picture would be helpful as impossible to imagine whats going on.....

Thanks for responses; I think maybe the whole floor area of washroom should be a tray, like a wet room with upstand on all sides, (which it is) which wouldn't solve problem as existing, but might be less of a worry in use.

Attached a jpeg sketch, as can't take a photo without disrupting current temporary solution,

regards

alan b

10476597_2014van3thetford.thumb.jpg.ebb879e8f76c6197812e920f8b81191e.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

that makes more sense now...so what you are trying to achieve is the close that 40mm gap between the side wall and cassette toilet. but surely it wont then line up with outside hatch?

ideally you need an upturned complete liner that incorporates the tray, as they are far more hygienic..

most modern vans have this. So if you want a proper solution you will have to get one made or shop around caravan breakers for one that can be adapted. here is a thread with links for breakers and bespoke

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/15896-broken-shower-tray/

JudgeMental - 2014-09-08 10:52 AM

that makes more sense now...so what you are trying to achieve is the close that 40mm gap between the side wall and cassette toilet

ideally you need an upturned complete liner that incorporates the tray, ...........So if you want a proper solution you will have to get one made

/

Hi Judge;

Thanks for the link. I think I'll see if I can get a purpose made liner for the washroom, with decent upstand, as you mention.

I have to admit that this and the whole water heating and space heating system was an area that I left to the converter, but accepted on the basis that it seemed to be what the mainstream van converters were doing, and Hi-spec for a bespoke.

The only interesting vans at the Newark Show were the Globecars, and I must say I really like the central showertray variant. The total area of the washroom is pretty large, and has been achieved by clever doubling up of what would otherwise just be circulation area. (pity about the 6.36M length).

I also remember "Crinkley's TripTruck" which has a PortaPotti, and full sized shower cubicle, as far as I remember. A simple solution, cost effective (C200 £550, versus PP-Curve £150) . It all rather depends on how you use your van, and whether you change your van often enough to have to worry about trade-in value etc. Oh for the chance to do another van!! Walrus MkII !

Our decision not to head off for France or Italy in September has clearly left me with too much time on my hands. Roll on next long trip, even if I don't get washroom upgraded,

regards

alan b

Archived