3500tonnes and 6 metres long

Suda

Hymer 504 B Class. I have one a year old. Rear single bed over the garage and drop down double bed over the cab.

Elldis Accordo [no idea what it is like], Dethleffs Evan [not my cup of tea], Burstner Brevia or Hymer equivalent [novel]. If you want second hand then look for some of the 'van' models which are coachbulits the size of a PVC. Bentley motorhomes - short lived - did a nice one called the Ochre, Autosleeper Nuevo - available new or second hand - or the Merc based Stanton, Auto Trail Tracker RS.

Think you might need to be more explicit about what you want, especially the budget you have available.

We had a devil of a job finding a new 6m van last year that met our needs.

JudgeMental - 2014-09-03 5:57 PM
kelly58 - 2014-09-03 5:48 PMAuto-Trail Tracker RS currently for sale.
So what panel van are you buying Kelly? :D
None I'm afraid because of serious back problems we are having to give up motorhoming so our pride and joy has to go complete with all the extras anyone starting up will need at a bargain price .

• 3 weeks later...
mikejkay - 2014-09-03 8:40 PM

Chausson Flash S2

Yes, the award-winning 5.99m Chausson Flash S2 fits the OP's spec perfectly - semi-fixed bed, four travel seats and very large dressing/shower/toilet room across the rear.

However, it was only sold new for the 2010 & 2011 model years.

The OP didn't state if he was seeking a new or used MH?

Mike

Guest JudgeMental
kelly58 - 2014-09-03 10:36 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-09-03 5:57 PM
kelly58 - 2014-09-03 5:48 PMAuto-Trail Tracker RS currently for sale.
So what panel van are you buying Kelly? :D
None I'm afraid because of serious back problems we are having to give up motorhoming so our pride and joy has to go complete with all the extras anyone starting up will need at a bargain price .

That is tough..sorry to hear that. enjoy whatever you do next ;-)

Almost all the coachbuild manufacturers have a 6m model in their range, (past or present) So much will depend on the other requirements listed by Pepe in his post. Adria (Marix), Rapido, Pilot, CI, old Autocruise, old Lunar, to name a few not mentioned earlier in the thread.

Manufacturers seem to have inserted a new class of motorhomes between panel vans and coach builts, or is it just a change in terminology? I've been looking to trade in my S2, which, like most coach builts is about 2.3m wide. Van conversions seem to be about 2 or 2.1m wide but there is a group of m.h.s which are about 2.2m wide and which generally have a V (for van?) in the model number. Is this a new phenomena and should these "vans" be considered as slimline coachbuilts? Are the construction standards the same as the fat versions?

Our Pilote G600LA is a great layout.  Has a very nice drop down bed over cab, comfy lounge, L shaped kitchenette and nice bathroom with seperate shower and room to dress.  Not a huge amount of storage but we downsized from a 7.5m with large garage and by being strict with what we take we still have spare cupboard space.  We are a couple with a dog.  You can choose between a fixed table which can convert the lounge into a further bed or a free standing table.  It's on a Fiat 2.3 manual box.

mikejkay - 2014-09-25 12:42 PM

Manufacturers seem to have inserted a new class of motorhomes between panel vans and coach builts, or is it just a change in terminology? I've been looking to trade in my S2, which, like most coach builts is about 2.3m wide. Van conversions seem to be about 2 or 2.1m wide but there is a group of m.h.s which are about 2.2m wide and which generally have a V (for van?) in the model number. Is this a new phenomena and should these "vans" be considered as slimline coachbuilts? Are the construction standards the same as the fat versions?

No Mike, I think it started about 2004 with the Dethleffs Globebus. Then Hymer made their Van, then Knaus theirs, then Hobby theirs (first Hobby Van production models were 2007), and various other manufacturers followed suite over the next few years. Some are "slimmer" than others. Both the Hymer and the Hobby were Transit based, which gave a narrower cab than Fiat based variants, so were slimmer still. Both just a little over 2.07 metres wide (then Hobby lost the plot with their "Exclusive" models, which had their trademark curved sides, which inevitably made the vans fatter! :-)). Most of the Fiat based vans are around 2.12 metres, or a bit more. There are a lot to look at. Adria Compact was quite nice if you can find one, lots of variants on the Globebus theme from Dethleffs, Chausson's "Van" were generally fatter. Burstner Travel Van also slimline, though not IMO so successful as others. British made coachbuilts have also generally tended to be a bit narrower than their continental counterparts, so quite a few to choose from there as well. Our present Exsis-i van is claimed to be 2,120 (haven't checked yet :-)), and it's coachbuilt counterparts, the Exsis-t versions are similar in size. So, there are a lot of slimmer vans around if that is what you want. And yes, they are constructed just the same as their fatter cousins.

Guest JudgeMental
Have always liked the Adria compact....lovely practical vans. Widely available in Germany. Well thought out and adria use great mattresses....

Our first Van was a Dethleff BUS II which we bought new (ex demonstrator) in October 2003. It was made before that however as there are still vans around on the old pre facelift Ducato chassis (the ones with slim headlights) .It was a great Van narrow, low and very maneuverable due to the Alko chassis and good looking with alloy wheels. I think the Globebus was slightly later (i remember seeing our at Earls Court in 2005 on a Ford Chassis when we bought our Hymer Van 522, a completely new model then)

HymerVan - 2014-10-05 12:00 PM

Our first Van was a Dethleff BUS II which we bought new (ex demonstrator) in October 2003. It was made before that however as there are still vans around on the old pre facelift Ducato chassis (the ones with slim headlights) .It was a great Van narrow, low and very maneuverable due to the Alko chassis and good looking with alloy wheels. I think the Globebus was slightly later (i remember seeing our at Earls Court in 2005 on a Ford Chassis when we bought our Hymer Van 522, a completely new model then)

You're right, of course, I forgot the Bus. We looked at one, I think at Earls Court, before we bought our first van, which was 2.3M wide, and was ultimately (in conjunction with Burstner's wider even than the widest Fiat side mirror arms) the reason we sold it after 18 months. I guess it largely depends on where one goes, but to me the narrower vans make great sense once off the main roads/dual carriageways.

Archived