Kindle ???

Pampam

Tracker - 2014-09-05 1:07 PM

Now that this thread has opened up the debate again, I had a quick look in Currys and was amazed at the bewildering amount of tablets at an equally bewildering array of prices from under £100 to well over £300.

As ever the sales assistant I spoke to knew very little more than I did so I came away none the wiser about what you get for paying more or what you don't get for paying less - other than a well known brand name?

I also looked at the Kindle Fire HD which does appear to have a backlit screen to enable reading in the dark or bright sunlight together with limited internet access and email facility - in short just about everything I would want from it - and all for £89 - or £99 without Kindle's 'special offers' which I take to mean intrusive advertising and bloatware?

Any thoughts or experiences good or bad anyone?

Dont the more expensive ones light up so you can read in the dark ??? Im sure I saw one advertised ! only problem with that though is your battery would deplete quicker. :-D If it works WHY change it?? mine isnt a paper white, I have no problem reading it outside with the greyish screen !!!!

Tracker - 2014-09-07 7:14 PM

Does anyone know whether the Kindles Fire's micro usb port is suitable for a wifi booster aerial please?

My gut reaction would be not

However just to throw in a couple of off topic Kindle HD thoughts;

The Kindle HD (NOT HDX) has a micro HDMI port which can be connected to a HDMI input on a TV. so you can play all those Iplayer downloads on the TV, Care though some micro leads do not fit, something to do with the length of plug in the socket. The Kindle HDX does not have a hdmi out port.

For some weird reason the speakers on the Kindle HD have a software switch that switches off the speakers, but the earphones work. This gives the indication that the earphone jack has ""jammed" switching off the speakers

Some software switch the speakers off, but not back on. (Its an Android thing), there seems to be no switch in the Kindle settings to rectify the problem.

There is a download app called "Quick Mute" which will switch the speakers back on.

Rgds

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2014-09-07 7:14 PM

Does anyone know whether the Kindles Fire's micro usb port is suitable for a wifi booster aerial please?

If not I think I better think it out again!

No, there are no boosters available for any type of tablet or Kindle. The problem is one of power. Wi-fii boosters need about five volts to operate. Laptops, which usually run on about 19v can handle a booster easily but that kind of consumption would flatten a typical tablet, which runs on about five volts.

Because of this problem no aerial manufacturer has bothered writing the software for the very different operating platforms used by tablets.

If you have a laptop with wi-fi the simplest method is to take that. You can use any of the boosters and they are very simple to operate. If you then use Connectify on your laptop it creates your own private wi-fi zone and you can use any other devices, such as a Kindle, to connect to the Internet.

Connectify is brilliant. I use it to update my smartphone, Kindle and Sony tablet and if we're with friends they can also log on using my wi-fi zone, after I've given them the password of course.

http://www.connectify.me/

Thanks Frank.

Whilst I do know about the differing voltages and battery capacity of tablets and laptops I did not realise the power need of a booster aerial as I has assumed that they were either self powered or had their own power source and that explains it well, much appreciated.

We do not want the bulk of a laptop whilst away for very limited use so I guess we will just carry on as before with smartphone or mifi for connection when we need to check emails etc.

tonyishuk - 2014-09-08 8:07 PM

My gut reaction would be not

Thanks Tony - mine too - as confirmed by Frank!

Thanks for the TV info but we would not bother with TV whilst away so for us it would not be an issue - but I can that for some it would be just another techno frustration!

Guest Had Enough

I've never understood the reluctance to take a laptop in a campervan. There can't be any motorhome that doesn't have space to slip away the average laptop. If I want to send emails, or do any serious browsing, I find it far easier to put the laptop on the table and enjoy the large keyboard and big screen.

And of course having a laptop means that you can take advantage of the very simple wi-fi boosters and pick up the web from the various free sources without having to leave the 'van.

You can eschew a laptop and buy routers, which attach to the wi-fi aerial and create your own hotspot, but all the evidence points to them being tricky and time consuming to set up in a new location, whereas, with a laptop, you can be online in minutes. Adding Connectify means that you can also create your own hotspot at the touch of a mouse and you can then use a Kindle or any other device.

Many people have laptops at home and whilst I wouldn't be keen on using one outside the 'van I can only see advantages in using one inside.

I do not wish to cart around a laptop and all the peripherals needed yo use it when a tablet is much easier and quicker to use both internally and externally, as well as in wifi hotspots plus it's easier and more convenient to carry around rather than left at risk - however small - in the van.

Which is why I am exploring ways of getting a wifi booster for use in the van in conjunction with a more portable friendly device!

But each to their own!

Archived