A second leisure battery?

cruiser

cruiser - 2014-09-10 1:39 PM

And Tracker.....where did you stay near Skibb?

Can't remember for sure as it was 12 and 14 years ago - we found a parking area down by a small harbour on the estuary I think and just parked up quietly - maybe Derrygereen or Baltimore by can't be sure.

It was May first time and Sept second time and there were very few campsites open - not that we would have used them any more than we had too anyway!

Eire is a lovely country and the people were so friendly, and Ireland differs from Scotland in so much as at least the Irish smile and chat whilst they are taking your money!

Perhaps the Irish are more at ease with themselves and who they are in the world than the rest of the British Isles?

Wise words indeed.....but back to business! Just when I thought the decision was made......I just took out the present leisure battery, a real job and a half BTW due to the confined space in the compartment and the raised lip in the door frame. I needed access to start the 'second battery' job'.

That was when I discovered it wasn't a sealed battery.....for some reason I had it in my head at was, and therefore maintenance free!

I removed the six caps and straight away could see the tops of the eclectrolytes showing. It was in dire need of topping up. I'm off to get some distilled water to do that, them I'll charge it again and monitor the results.

(It's down to 12.68 now 48 hours after full charge. Still good I think? Anyway, now I'm wondering if the low levels had a bearing on the

discharge rate? Bear in mind that we had about 30 hours of parking, including lights, water pump, tv and sat. box and inverter with no thought of excessive drain whatsoever. Would we have made it through another day (which is all we need) if the battery had been topped up?

And this then begs the question....surely if it performed that well having been neglected for so long, doesn't that show that it's a good 'un?

No body has ever accused me of uttering wise words on here before so thanks indeed!

If you can see the electrolyte I doubt it would make a lot of difference to performance so don't expect miracles when it is topped up.

12.68 v after 48 hours is not bad bearing in mind that there is probably some discharge in the control panel etc all the while the battery is connected and I certainly would not replace it.

Two new 110 amp 'tractor starter' batteries purchased, plus cable and connectors. I'll fit them next week, and hopefully all will be well. Thanks to all for the much-appreciated guidance and advice. All comments have been instrumental in helping me make my final decision.

Archived