tyre pressure

skyman

I have just bought a 2002 LUNAR NEWSTAR 58 and has 215/70 R15 tyres

According to the label inside the drivers door the tyre pressure should be 5 bar (72lbs)

This sounds a lot is it correct?

As I have just checked the pressures on all tyres and they are 59lb.

Thanks

Dave

It depends on the make and type of tyres fitted, and axle weights, mine are 5 Bar so it could be right.

There has been a number of tyre threads on this site, just search "tyre pressures" over the past year using the search facility above.

A good guide on tyres will be found here. http://www.tyresafe.org/images/tyre-safety-guide/motorhome-leaflet.pdf

I had minor nightmares regarding tyre pressures when I bought my first van last year. Basically, I found that the recommended pressures from the manufacturer of your motorhome are the ones to use. The base vehicle pressures vary a lot, and going direct to the tyre manufacturer also, although helpful, did not help. Just remember that the ratings in motorhome tyres are different, and higher, than standard van tyres.

IMHO, make sure you have the correct tyres, then inflate them to the motorhome manufacturers recommended pressures.

Next you will be wanting a recommendation for a 12v pump, and that's another story!

Guest JudgeMental

weigh it fully loaded and take note of axle weights,. Go onto tyre manufacturers website and look at recommended tyre pressure for those weights..your ride should be transformed.

Mine being based on a 4 ton Maxi chassis plated at 3500kg, the pressure recommended was a staggering 5 bar! after a long thread on here and invaluable assistance for Derek I run at 3.4 bar and its like driving a different vehicle.....

What is stated on your tyre pressure label is not too dissimilar to my van, except my converter states 5.5 bar, or 80psi, my van is fitted with Michelin camping tyres of the same size as yours, the sidewall of which also states 80psi, the major problem I find is two fold, accurate gauges, and garages with inflation pressures that go that high, I normally grease the palm of tyre fitters to check them for me.

Guest JudgeMental
skyman - 2014-09-12 7:09 PM

Thanks folks

For all your help

I think I will go with Manufacturer's Recommended pressurre of 5bar 72lbs

Dave

Good luck with that!..might be an idea to wear boxers teeth protectors :D

JudgeMental - 2014-09-12 7:13 PM

Good luck with that!..might be an idea to wear boxers teeth protectors :D

I'd agree with Judge.

Hi skyman; check your axle weights, and if you don't know them get the van weighed. If you stick with the 5Bar then beware sleeping policemen; and make sure your cupboards are well packed.

If you check your axle weights I'd be surprised if you stick with the 5 Bar,

regards

alan b

Considering running on tyre pressures well below the manufacturers spec could easily lead to tyre failure you should perhaps keep some handy as well, especially if it happened at speed, its a long shot, but if an accident happened and tyre pressures were looked at, perhaps well down on the converters spec wouldn't be such a good idea, the recommended pressures I'm sure must have a sound basis behind them, and personally given either a motor home manufacturer, or a tyre companies recommendations common sense surely is to follow their recommendations. Not something someone guessed at on a forum, still I guess it takes all sorts, just hope you are not coming in the opposite direction to me with tyres well under inflated.

I've got a similar van to Eddie's and run it at the standard 5.5 bar. It sounds a lot, but seems to be ok ride and handling-wise. We're usually fully loaded so that probably has a bearing on it, but after 17k miles in as many months, I'm happy to stick with it.

Then you're a very wise man,

but think of the millions the tyre and motorhome companies could have saved on R&D, if they'd just asked on here what tyre :pressures people should use with their products, the mind truly boggles.

Guest pelmetman

Another tip as was mentioned a while back ;-)................after a run feel your rubber :$................but if they're hot ;-).....................then you know your pressures too low :D.........

Ok; doing a simple search of this archive produces approx 40 threads that refer to "tyre pressures" in the last year.

That's a lot of reading; much easier to accept the 5Bar.

Well at least have the van weighed in its fully laden state; then check the tyre manufacturer's recommendations.

Otherwise, why ask the question.

Nobody will tell you what pressure to use, that's your decision.

But make the decision on the basis of your own specific weights,

regards

alan b

Guest JudgeMental

where did I say just drop the pressure...I also run at "manufacturers supplied figures" but after weighing it and consulting those figures. a camper is not a goods vehicle. mine was horrible at 5 bar and I was considering full air suspension, but its fine now......

With a 6 metre panel van camper the 3300kg chassis a far nicer drive. The maxi ;4 ton chassis is literally shocking in comparison.....and why it's always important to take the tyre manufacturers loading data and adjust to a far more acceptable ride

Hugh, have you weighed your van? As we have same bikes and swing out rack, I bet your rear axle well under 2000kg fully loaded as mine was.

Tyre depo bods now nothing about running campers, ask the tyre manufacturers *-)

To further complicate the matter, my van operating manual (Le Voyageur) gives a heavy weight, fully loaded pressure, and a slightly lower, standard weight pressure for the tyres. Also, the pressures are technically "recommended", so I guess, as the judge says, you could take your choice, and if your manufactures recommended pressures are for max weight, you could possibly reduce them a little, but not too much!

Guest JudgeMental

Jeez....don't you ever weigh your van when fully loaded to see if your legal on the road. its then easy to find the correct tyre pressure from manufacturers web site. you haven't even said what make tyres you have only the size....

here is the Continental site as an example:

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/www/tyres_uk_en/general/downloadarea/technische_literatur/

here are my size continental recommended settings (thanks to Derek)

1725 - 3.0

1835 - 3.25

1950 - 3.5

2060 - 3.75

2170 - 4.0

2275 - 4.25

2385 - 4.5

2490 - 4.75

2595 - 5.0

2695 - 5.25

2800 - 5.5

2900 - 5.75

Heck I didn't realise I was going to get my legs slapped!!

I will stick to being a retired TV and Video service technician and retailer with 50 years experience

www.dugdalesdigital.com

It obviously is more technical working out tyre pressures

I presume 215/70 R15I quoted in my original thread is insignificant!!

Setting off the other morning to continue the long haul up to Calais, I thought my tyres looked a bit flat. Worried about inflating them myself (I can never get the pump off quickly enough and lose most of the air I have put in!) I drove only a very few miles to the nearest town by which time, of course, it was after mid-day! Several car sales places in front of me so I chose the nearest, an Opel sales place, where two men were just leaving. One very kindly opened the door and came out with the air-line, two minutes later all done and would not accept any payment. I innocently put the question, "5 Bar", "oui Madame" without a second's hesitation. This is the pressure my husband always put in too.

Guest JudgeMental
skyman - 2014-09-13 12:48 PM

Heck I didn't realise I was going to get my legs slapped!!

I will stick to being a retired TV and Video service technician and retailer with 50 years experience

www.dugdalesdigital.com

It obviously is more technical working out tyre pressures

I presume 215/70 R15I quoted in my original thread is insignificant!!

How do I know what make/model tyres you have if you dont say....I quoted inflation figures for MY tires as I know them, as an example? Astonished as to why you bother asking! if no intention of taking good advice from me and others. That you dont ever bother weighing camper occasionally before taking it on the road says more about you then me....Dont know why I bother 8-)

Your van will have tyre pressures recommended by the converter. These pressures will relate to the maximum allowable load on each axle. This is a load condition that cannot, legally, be used, because the sum of both axle loads will exceed the MAM for the vehicle. So, yes, it is a little more complicated that just loading up and driving off. These are commercial vehicles and not family cars, and are designed to carry substantial loads. What you need to do is take the van fully loaded (meaning absolutely as you would have it when touring) and get the actual loads on each axle. Then consult the tyre manufacturer's technical department and get the pressures appropriate to those loads. They will be lower pressures, but they will be the correct pressures for your tyres, loaded as you use your van. You will need to quote the full tyre details from the side wall size, profile, speed and load indices. This will ensure you have the optimal ride and road holding performance for the tyres. The standard converter's pressures are a fail safe remedy, because they cannot know in advance of you buying the van, how you may load it. The almost inevitable result is that using their pressures the tyres will be over-inflated.

• 4 months later...
My Autotrail/Ducato Maxi has door frame and user manual pressures of 5.5 bar front and back. After getting the actual axle weights checked on a weighbridge I contacted Continental who said the pressures for my tyres should be 3.5 at the front and 4.0 bar at the back. I adjusted the pressures to these levels and found that driving the motorhome on a motorway at 50-60mph was more like being in a dinghy in a gale - it rolled around and I was continually having to correct, despite the wind not being particularly strong. Admittedly the softer ride on country roads at 30mph was more comfortable than at the higher pressures. I have since spoken to a traffic policeman, who advised strongly that I stick to the pressures marked on the door frame: if I were to be involved in an incident and the police were to find the tyre pressure 36% below that shown on the vehicle it could well be used as evidence against me, regardless of what Continental have said. Incidentally, a rep from Michelin also told me to stick to the 5.5 bar. Driving in the recent gale-force winds at 5.5bar was significantly less stressful than at the reduced pressures!

Archived