rustproofing waxoil

artheytrate

bobalobs - 2014-09-15 12:33 PM

Never heard of it causing problems with wood and I have known people use it on the bottom part of fence posts to delay rot. Wooden floors in classic cars are also coated with it. Our Morgan floorboards were done 25 years ago and they are still solid.

Thank you bobalobs, some one posted on another forum that the wood needs to breathe and the waxoil would cause the floor to delaminate. but the same as you I waxoiled a kit car floor years ago and it had no problems.

Thanks,

John.

Guest pelmetman

Why are you applying it to wood? :-S.................Call me daft :D................but I cant recall wood ever getting rust 8-).................

Although as a gardener I know there is a similar named condition that effects plants ;-)................

pelmetman - 2014-09-15 7:41 PM

Why are you applying it to wood? :-S.................Call me daft :D................but I cant recall wood ever getting rust 8-).................

Although as a gardener I know there is a similar named condition that effects plants ;-)................

To keep the damp out.

John.

Guest pelmetman
artheytrate - 2014-09-15 8:43 PM

pelmetman - 2014-09-15 7:41 PM

To keep the damp out.

John.

Its horses for courses ;-)...................but there is other stuff on the market that is designed for wood.............waxoyl is for metal :-S...................

Guest pelmetman
bobalobs - 2014-09-15 12:33 PM

Our Morgan floorboards were done 25 years ago and they are still solid.

A query?...................does your Morgan live outside or in a garage? ;-)............

The car is in a garage though not the driest which leads to condensation at times.It is only the underside of the boards that waxoyl has been put on whilst the topside in the car has been treated with Cuprinol. Now you know why Morgans drive round with the roof down!!

The boards are marine ply rather than composite boards that seem to be used in coachbuilts

Guest pelmetman

Your garage maybe a bit damp, but I suspect its the prime reason your Morgan is still in good nick, I'm convinced its why our camper has suffered so few problems.............

Our camper floor is just single ply, which I assume is marine ply as its blue? :-S...............still rot free although it did de laminate by the door a few years back, but that was due to a design fault as they counter sunk the bolts for the step, which mean't they only had 1/2" of ply to support them instead of an inch *-)............after 20 years of being stepped on the section split.........Its now laminated with 1/2" ply on top and 1" hardwood underneath plus glued and screwed :D..............

Archived