Sink Draining

stumpy60

HI all, recently bought an Autotrail RB and the kitchen sink is really slow to drain,it is minutes to empty completely the others are not to bad.

I took it back to the dealer and of course they said there is nothing wrong with it.

Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thank you

Guest Had Enough
stumpy60 - 2014-09-26 11:25 AM

HI all, recently bought an Autotrail RB and the kitchen sink is really slow to drain,it is minutes to empty completely the others are not to bad.

I took it back to the dealer and of course they said there is nothing wrong with it.

Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thank you

Is the van level? Mine took ages if it was too nose down and was quicker if it was level. Apart from that it's a question of checking the hoses (if you can get at them) to see if one's become kinked, and checking for greasy blockages, which you may be able to clear using a proprietary cleaning solution.

Hi Stumpy

We have an AT Tracker 2004 model our sink drains slowly. We bought the van when it was 6 years old and thought it may have been blocked so I unscrewed the screw from the centre of the sink drain strainer and took out the plastic cap from underneath and was surprised to see how small the hole was for the water to drain out through. All I could do is clean it out and put it back together. It was a little bit better but it is still slow and has been said it can be different if the van is not level . It does vary quite a bit from one day to the next. It may differ if the waste tank is getting full or if there is some kind or air lock, I don't really know.

We don't worry about it, it is not as if we are in a hurry to go anywhere. (lol)

It happens all the time in many vans and in most cases there is no cure for poor design.

We carry a sink plunger and when it gets slow I half fill the sink with hot water then remove the plug and plunge away - not too heavily or you may split of disconnect a pipe - and it always seems to speed up a bit until next time. You also need to block off the overflow or you will lose all your vacuum out of it instead of using it on moving the water.

Check to see if there is a trap fitted. If there is then clean it out. If the problem persists then you will have to remove the trap or put up with the slow emptying of the sink.

My kitchen sink has a trap on a horizontal run - in slows the flow considerably.

G

Same problem on our van from new so no blocked pipes (advertised as domestic waste pipes) which is smooth bore pipes. The leveling of the van does help but when it is slow to drain just a couple of presses with the heal of the hand over the the drain usually gets it going, just releases the air block.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived