Dead battery?

Col49

Hi

I have a Tribute t720 sport motorhome 2 years and one month old! Since I have had it serviced about 2 weeks ago the battery has been going totally flat! The first time two days after the service! Surprisingly; after the engine just clinking; I left it 10 minutes and tried it again; this time the engine started! The next time a few days later the same thing happened! It seemed totally flat; even radio needed resetting, but then started about 10 minutes later! Then last Wednesday after driving to my local town centre about 10 miles away; after returning from shops 30 minutes later the battery was totally flat! The AA came out and started the battery! Two days later I drove down to Lincoln motorhome show (50 miles), where I was on leisure battery for two days! When I came to start the engine on my return it was totally flat! The AA came out again this time using various testing equipment. The engineer told me that it was 12.4; which he said should be enough to crank the engine! He then put his meter on the battery terminals and just turned on the ignition key without turning the engine. The meter dropped right down to 7! I was given a print out of the results to take to my dealer; Danum Leisure in Doncaster saying that a replacement battery was needed!

The response I got was that the AA always say that; but that they would need to do a drop meter test to see if the problem was caused by me overcharging the battery on mains hook up; or whether it was a genuine faulty battery! They said; besides that the battery is only guaranteed for two years; and mine is two years and one month old! If the Ford battery can go that quickly; ( I also have a solar panel on the roof which is supposed to keep both batteries topped up); I am reluctant if I have to pay for a new battery; to fit a Ford battery; when Halfords can do a replacement with a 5 year guarantee! My main question is; is there any way of me knowing if a drop test will indicate if the damaged battery is my fault, or whether it is just a faulty battery? Also even though it is just out of warranty might I still claim that it is so close to the end of the 2 year warranty that the battery should be replaced free of charge? I am told by AA that there are no loose connections and alternator is ok!

Many thanks,

Col49

Allowing a lead acid battery of any type to go flat (eg in storage) is damaging and shortertens its service life.. Motorhome chassis sometimes spend a long period in storage or limbo before or during conversion and this can be harmful to a battery, so this could explain why your battery is failing prematurely only two years after the vehicle's first registration and regular use.

You could perhap check the manufacturing date of the battery using serial or batch numbers but I suspect that since the dealer has already repudiated your out-of-warranty claim, you won't get very far and you will end up having to buy a new battery anyway. Battery warranties are sometime on the basis of a proportional refund of the unexpired warranty period when failure occurs, rather than replacement with a free new battery, so at best you might only end up with a partial refund.

At least of you buy a new battery yourslef you will get the choose the make, check what guarantee is provided and avoid a similar problem in future by ensuring that your battery is maintained with a good level of charge. The Bosch S5 series batteries get a very good name.

• 2 weeks later...
firslty make sure the battery is in good condition and the lose connections are prime reason for my point of view. But if you are sure that everything is in right palce, then the only things I can say is the the battery is faulty. Even if everthing is in palce, it might not function. I know how relectunat you are to change the battery but I guess you have to do it..

Archived